2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone here can give me some insight. I have a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude, 79,xxx miles. The past week it seems to have a some "misses" around 50-55 mph. Today the start/stop service indicator light came on...the one that is the A! with the arrow circle around it. I was about to turn the car off anyway when this happened so i shut it off, started it 3 hours later, light was off. During my 15 minute drive home it said the start/stop option wasn't ready due to the battery charging. Car says the battery is charged at 14 volts...battery was replaced at the beginning of 2018 after a harsh PA winter. No crazy weather issues here currently which I have read that can damage the batter. Any suggestions? I'm scared to drive it now especially since I always have a toddler with me and can't imagine my car breaking down.

·
Registered
475 Posts
First thing check to make sure the battery terminals are tight. If you can move them at all, no good, they need to be tightened. Reading your battery voltage while the car is running only shows if your alternator is working. 14 volts is normal running voltage. When the battery was replaced did you get an AGM type battery? That is a must with these systems. Have your battery tested with an electronic battery tester, car not running, and see what the resting and load test voltages are. Then let us know what you find.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
afton.2020, I've been dealing with the same problem for about a year now. I took it into the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong. Months passed and the situation got worse. I took it in again, today to have them look at it tomorrow. Hopefully they'll find the problem this time. Probably the battery sensor.

·
Registered
855 Posts
It seems that the most common cause of this problem is a bad battery, followed by a bad IBS. Batteries in the KL (assuming they are the correct AGM type) seem to fail after 3-4 years, but some fail sooner due to temperatures or abuse. The first step should be a modern load test, free at many parts stores. Then if the battery is okay, have the dealer check the IBS. Many dealers are clueless about this, some insisting that the second battery in the Jeep is bad!

·
Registered
9,092 Posts
Hoping someone here can give me some insight. I have a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude, 79,xxx miles. The past week it seems to have a some "misses" around 50-55 mph. Today the start/stop service indicator light came on...the one that is the A! with the arrow circle around it. I was about to turn the car off anyway when this happened so i shut it off, started it 3 hours later, light was off. During my 15 minute drive home it said the start/stop option wasn't ready due to the battery charging. Car says the battery is charged at 14 volts...battery was replaced at the beginning of 2018 after a harsh PA winter. No crazy weather issues here currently which I have read that can damage the batter. Any suggestions? I'm scared to drive it now especially since I always have a toddler with me and can't imagine my car breaking down.
Hi there, and welcome to the forum !

Sorry to hear about the trouble there...

All good suggestions/advice above. I'll just recap for clarity :
  • You had the battery replaced roughly 2.5 years ago. Depending on where you live, climate could be a factor in early battery death. If not the climate, then this Covid situation with some of us driving much less - using the Jeep much less - can also contribute to early battery death. And then... we've seen new batteries fail early because they were simply faulty, but that usually happens within a year.
  • There is a second major cause to Stop/Start problems and it's been mentionned here : the intelligent battery sensor (IBS). When it decides to act up, ESS (Stop/Start) not working will be the first sign.
  • Loose battery connectors can also produce ESS errors.
First thing to check should be the battery. Most auto parts stores can perform a free load test, it takes 2 minutes to do with a modern tester. Small service shops can do this also. Ask that they check the connectors, if they are tight enough. Dealerships typically charge too much for such problems.
If the battery tests out Ok (ask for a printout so you could share with us, if possible), then the next step would be to go to a dealership to have the IBS tested,. They have the machine to troubleshoot the IBS, it won't take long...

From what you have reported, you should be Ok driving it as is. Stop/Start is not a critical system.

HTH, and keep us posted :)

·
FCA Customer Support Group
1,355 Posts
Hi @afton.2020 & @RandyC,

We're sorry to hear that you have these concerns with your Jeep Cherokee. If either of you would like additional assistance while your vehicle is in service at the dealer, please send our team a private message.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi @afton.2020 & @RandyC,

We're sorry to hear that you have these concerns with your Jeep Cherokee. If either of you would like additional assistance while your vehicle is in service at the dealer, please send our team a private message.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
Hi Darlene, I'm from Canada so I understand, from previous experience, that you can only assist with US dealers and not dealers in Canada.

In any case, I picked up my vehicle from the dealer. They basically told me that they couldn't find anything wrong with the ESS system except that the battery needed a charge, so they charged it. I was also told that since I do not drive my vehicle that much the battery discharges more than normal when not in use so it has to recharge every time I use the vehicle. But this doesn't explain that once the battery has charged, the ESS still doesn't engage. I'm going to see how things go but I'm not optimistic about the outcome. I'm resolving to have the ESS inoperable permanently.

·
Registered
9,092 Posts
Hi Darlene, I'm from Canada so I understand, from previous experience, that you can only assist with US dealers and not dealers in Canada.

In any case, I picked up my vehicle from the dealer. They basically told me that they couldn't find anything wrong with the ESS system except that the battery needed a charge, so they charged it. I was also told that since I do not drive my vehicle that much the battery discharges more than normal when not in use so it has to recharge every time I use the vehicle. But this doesn't explain that once the battery has charged, the ESS still doesn't engage. I'm going to see how things go but I'm not optimistic about the outcome. I'm resolving to have the ESS inoperable permanently.
Hey Randy,

You are correct about JeepCares, they cover US customers only.

Please refresh my memory : has your battery been properly load tested recently ? If so, by whom and how did it score ?
Also : which error message do you see in EVIC about ESS not working ?
And last : are you on the original battery ?

Thx.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey Randy,

You are correct about JeepCares, they cover US customers only.

Please refresh my memory : has your battery been properly load tested recently ? If so, by whom and how did it score ?
Also : which error message do you see in EVIC about ESS not working ?
And last : are you on the original battery ?

Thx.
Load Tested? Original battery was not but I found that it was not holding charge, so the charged it with OEM. The replaced battery was tested and recharged yesterday by dealer, don't recall the score but he said it was fine.

Error Message? I get the amber ESS icon and a message that ESS is not available and needs service. The ESS screen of the EVIC has same information.

Original Battery? No, as mentioned above.

·
Registered
9,092 Posts
Load Tested? Original battery was not but I found that it was not holding charge, so the charged it with OEM. The replaced battery was tested and recharged yesterday by dealer, don't recall the score but he said it was fine.

Error Message? I get the amber ESS icon and a message that ESS is not available and needs service. The ESS screen of the EVIC has same information.

Original Battery? No, as mentioned above.
Thanks for the refresher. Ok, this sounds more like the IBS then. "Service Stop/Start" (or whatever the wording is) is often less about the battery.
So... a dealership can test the IBS with wiTECH, there is a routine for it. If IBS out of spec, replace.

Other than the IBS and battery : loose battery connectors, bad ground somewhere... but not as common.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks for the refresher. Ok, this sounds more like the IBS then. "Service Stop/Start" (or whatever the wording is) is often less about the battery.
So... a dealership can test the IBS with wiTECH, there is a routine for it. If IBS out of spec, replace.

Other than the IBS and battery : loose battery connectors, bad ground somewhere... but not as common.
They checked the IBS and they said it was fine, but they reset it. We'll see if resetting it resolves the problem and for how long. They are convinced that low use is the culprit. If that is the case, then the "problems" with my ESS is permanent because I don't anticipate increase use of vehicle than current.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Rather than give up, the suggestions about using a smart trickle charger have merit.

·
Registered
9,092 Posts
And a good read here too, haha ! : Charge !!!

===============

@RandyC : I'm far from convinced it is the battery, but... stranger things have happened. As @teo and @Turbo2.0 have pointed out, charging/maintaining the battery will do wonders for its longevity. You can trickle charge it once a week, overnight, if you don't drive it that often..

·
Registered
104 Posts
And a good read here too, haha ! : Charge !!!

===============

@RandyC : I'm far from convinced it is the battery, but... stranger things have happened. As @teo and @Turbo2.0 have pointed out, charging/maintaining the battery will do wonders for its longevity. You can trickle charge it once a week, overnight, if you don't drive it that often..
Taken it out the last couple of days, and the ESS did come on. So it looks like resetting of the IBS and topping up of the battery has brought the ESS back to life. The question is, for how long because in the past it would disappear again. During the pandemic, I've been trying to take the vehicle out for a 20 minute run at least once a week. If need be, I have a charger for my boat batteries, so I can put it on trickle overnight. However, as things begin to open up, this may not be necessary.

·
Registered
9,092 Posts
Taken it out the last couple of days, and the ESS did come on. So it looks like resetting of the IBS and topping up of the battery has brought the ESS back to life. The question is, for how long because in the past it would disappear again. During the pandemic, I've been trying to take the vehicle out for a 20 minute run at least once a week. If need be, I have a charger for my boat batteries, so I can put it on trickle overnight. However, as things begin to open up, this may not be necessary.
Good ! Fingers crossed...

About charging : a 20 minute drive may not be enough, but your boat battery charge overnight... that's the ticket ! Once you get back to driving more, it would still be a good idea to hook up the little charger once every other week, for an overnight top up. This practice can an dwill add a few years to a Cherokee's battery life, especially if you don't drive a whole lot..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had the same problem with my 2019 KL took it to the dealer who found nothing wrong, had only been doing short runs to the shop and back. So I put the battery on charge overnight and problem fixed and back to normal, try and give it a highway run now once a week to fully charge the battery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had same problem with start/stop. It has its own battery not related to engine battery. The separate had to be replaced.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I’ve been having ESS issues for more than a year on my 2019 Overland. I just had it to the dealer and found the battery was bad. It’s only 2 years old with 14K miles. Fortunately, it’s still under warranty. Mine has one battery. I thought it was the Grand Cherokee that had a separate battery for a ESS.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts