2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the power allocation ratio fixed for sport mode or sand mode by default, when there is no slipprery?

What is the exact ratio for front and rear accordingly?

I heard it's 20% to 80% for sport mode, and 100% rear drive for sand mode, is this correct?

mine's 2019 2.0T limited version.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
903 Posts
The awd portion of the 4wd system works slightly different than that. All the power always goes to the front wheels (even the 40/60 sport mode is not technically true). Then off of that the power goes through the ptu, to a coupler, to the rdm. The coupler is what allows slippage for when using it on the road. In 4low, that is actually locked, and that's why you are not suppose to use it on the road as it makes the front and rear tires turn at the same speed. Depending on what mode you set it in (or depending on how much slip is detected), that coupler can clamp down hard or softer, and allow more or less power to go to the rear. The other thing the drive modes change is traction control settings, and throttle mapping, and transmission shift points. For things like sand mode and sport mode, the traction control settings are relaxed and allow the for more wheel slip before clamping down on that tire or reducing throttle. Also, sand and sport will allow the transmission to hold a higher gear so it has plenty of power when needed and to reduce turbo lag. The most split you can ever get is 50/50.

·
Premium Member
4,472 Posts
Is the power allocation ratio fixed for sport mode or sand mode by default, when there is no slipprery?

What is the exact ratio for front and rear accordingly?

I heard it's 20% to 80% for sport mode, and 100% rear drive for sand mode, is this correct?

mine's 2019 2.0T limited version.

You only ever get up to 50% power to the rear. Sand/mud mode is the closest to locking the front/rear axles together without actually locking them. It holds gears longer and increases throttle sensitivity

·
Registered
62 Posts

You only ever get up to 50% power to the rear. Sand/mud mode is the closest to locking the front/rear axles together without actually locking them. It holds gears longer and increases throttle sensitivity

Is SPORT mode supposed to just hold gears til 4k + rpm all the time?

And does SNOW mode divert up to 50% power to the rear?

Is there any time where the mud/sand mode is preferable to use on the road with regular road conditions/weather?

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
903 Posts
Is SPORT mode supposed to just hold gears til 4k + rpm all the time?

And does SNOW mode divert up to 50% power to the rear?

Is there any time where the mud/sand mode is preferable to use on the road with regular road conditions/weather?
Probably not. Leaving it in auto is going to give you the best economy by far. Its the only one that allow it to switch to fwd over about 25 or 30 mph. Snow mode is probably the only other one you would use if that is something in your area. I have used it once or twice if heavy rain on side roads where there was standing water for a little extra piece of mind.

·
Registered
11,818 Posts
Some of you may enjoy this read (credit : @Array ) :

·
Premium Member
4,472 Posts
Some of you may enjoy this read (credit : @Array ) :
Too bad someone did real world testing and data monitoring, except you could never admit I posted something relevant, that post while informative doesn't have real world testing and explanations like I did. Shame you have me blocked

1 - 7 of 7 Posts