2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

Sport mode and traction control?

14K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  Flybynightcru 
#1 ·
I drove to the store yesterday in sport mode, because, well, it's there, the manufacturer put it there for a reason, obviously they want me to use it. I mean really, many people worked on the design of this machine and thought it would be a great idea to have that as an option, heck Range Rover and Porsche do it so we must!
But.... it does seem kinda pointless, and really fun at the same time, so weird, it completely changes the feel of the truck. It feels like that button should be called "split personality" because it seems to make it think it's a Miata, which it aint, it's still a 4000lb 4WD and off road suspension.

But the weirdest part is the fact that it turns off traction control. Not sure how I feel about that, and why would you do that? Also, it lets me turn it back on while in sport, which is weird because I assumed it turned it off for a reason.

Do you use sport mode, if so when and why? Is it just for a bit of fun sometimes and really a gimmick?

#2 ·
Yes sport mode is there for use, I use it frequently on up and down twisty roads and that’s where it shines. Better engine braking and sends 60% power to the rear so gives you a sportier feel.
I believe some use it for doing donuts and ripping and tearing but I’m not into that!

2019 Trailhawk Elite
Build date May 2019

#3 ·
Traction mode is reduced in sport mode but not completely off. You have to push and hold the esp button for approx 10 seconds until it chimes and then ESP is full off with ZERO intervention until 56kms/h or greater speed it reached. You can have ESP full off in ANY of the selec terrain modes.

All sport mode does is
1. Changes transmission shift points (raises them)
2. Make the throttle sensitivity a bit greater (adjusts the pedal voltage in the PCM)
3. Puts the ESP system to partial off.

#4 ·
Well that is interesting, I had no idea traction control is not "really" off unless you do that. I can't think of why you would want to turn it off, I'm not into doing donuts either, lol.
- I can only imagine what sport does to your gas mileage...:poop:.

#5 ·
You have to keep in mind that the system is called "stability control", not traction control, and if I understood some of the stuff I read semi correctly, there are two different interventions for this system : throttle modulation and brake application. "Partial OFF" only deals with one of the two interventions (I think throttle) so brake intervention is still active in Partial Off. Or the other way around, heh. Full OFF only happens below 35-ish mph or in 4 Low. So... in Sport Mode, the algorythm keeps one stability control system active (I'll guess brake intervention), unless you press/hold the button and you're doing less than 35 mph.

#6 ·
I also really like sport mode for twisty mountain roads, both for better acceleration and response uphill, as well as better engine braking downhill.

I feel that (at least on the 2.4L Cherokees) "normal" mode is extremely biased towards gas mileage, and upshifts as soon as possible, which results in a lot of unnecessary downshifting and upshifting in my normal daily driving.
For instance, on my morning commute, I take a left turn on a light, and immediately go up an overpass crossing train tracks.
This results in the Cherokee shifting up to 4-5th gear as I complete the turn, followed by downshifting back to 3rd or 4th as it gets to the crest of the overpass.

On the other hand, sport mode is so biased to holding gears to high rpms that gas mileage plummets.

I wish there was an in-between mode, or that there was an additional "eco" mode, that would corresond to the normal mode, and a new "normal", which is between "eco" and sport.

There actually was an eco mode at some point, as there is a light for it in the dash, but it seems to have been eliminated at some point of development...

#8 ·
On the other hand, sport mode is so biased to holding gears to high rpms that gas mileage plummets.

I wish there was an in-between mode, or that there was an additional "eco" mode, that would corresond to the normal mode, and a new "normal", which is between "eco" and sport.

There actually was an eco mode at some point, as there is a light for it in the dash, but it seems to have been eliminated at some point of development...
Agreed, mine is really biased to the highest gear as well.
My owner's manual mentions the "eco" light and that it comes on when you are driving in the most economical way, but I haven't seen it come on, even at 30mpg.

#7 ·
To clarifiy, in ESP full off mode, the only thing active is the "brake lock differential" function which is the ABS system trying to keep the wheels spinning at the same speed on a given axle, that's all. Meaning that in ESP full off you can do donuts, in partial off you can't do donuts

#17 ·
With that then, hypothetically, if your ABS failed for some reason, would the brake force distribution system then no function either? And as a result of that, the 4WD system purely functions like a true open-differential system?

#20 ·
The gage is probably better than a eco idiot light.
If we could just get all our gages to show on the screen with the off-road pages that they promised and advertised

2019 Trailhawk Elite
Build date May 2019
I know, what a bummer we didn't get what we paid for. :mad:

Reactions: UN4GTBL
#12 ·
I drove to the store yesterday in sport mode, because, well, it's there, the manufacturer put it there for a reason, obviously they want me to use it. I mean really, many people worked on the design of this machine and thought it would be a great idea to have that as an option, heck Range Rover and Porsche do it so we must!
But.... it does seem kinda pointless, and really fun at the same time, so weird, it completely changes the feel of the truck. It feels like that button should be called "split personality" because it seems to make it think it's a Miata, which it aint, it's still a 4000lb 4WD and off road suspension.

But the weirdest part is the fact that it turns off traction control. Not sure how I feel about that, and why would you do that? Also, it lets me turn it back on while in sport, which is weird because I assumed it turned it off for a reason.

Do you use sport mode, if so when and why? Is it just for a bit of fun sometimes and really a gimmick?
It partially turns of ESTP to lower the intervention threshold for more spirited driving then normal. It also puts it in permanent 4WD with 60% of the power to the rear wheels and ups the shiting points to keep you at higher RPMs to keep you in the sweet band of the power band more often. I'll use it at times on twisty roads. But it kills your mpg between being permanently in 4WD and keeping the engin at a higher RPM.

#14 ·
What I do know is that sport mode option works and is great feature for some driving environments as mentioned above. Try not to over analyze everything and just enjoy. If things get to confusing put it in auto and let the computer do the driving. Anyways all these options and driving modes seem to work great for me and way better than what I had years ago including my old Power Wagon with Square Gears.

2019 Trailhawk Elite
Build date May 2019

#16 ·
So then, would using Sport mode also be similar to maybe usong Tow/Haul mode on the Ram truck side of things? Reason for my asking, doing a quick rooting with AlfaOBD when im in Sport it shows the TCM in sport, but in snow, it shows me in Tow/Haul....

#19 ·
Don't take everything AlfaOBD reads out as gospel, there is no tow/haul mode, sport mode just raises the shift points and less than full throttle so the vehicle shifts at higher speeds. You can use ERS to manually limit the top gear the vehicle reaches to mimic what a tow haul mode would do.

#24 ·
Yes, it can be completely disabled by holding the button for approximately 5 seconds. This is only for low speed, as it will kick back into partial mode at around 30mph. This can be done in all Selec-Terrain drive settings...😎

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.