2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the ones who change their own spark plugs, Or even for the ones that have input. What brand Spark plugs do you prefer? I went in for my normal oil change, and he said it is time to change spark plugs at a cost of 250.00. I pretty much declined. The Mopar plugs are anywhere from 30.00 to 45.00 a piece depending on where I looked. I cant believe Mopar makes their own plugs. So I will be doing this myself

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
I've just gone with Mopar...

·
Registered
10,208 Posts
For the ones who change their own spark plugs, Or even for the ones that have input. What brand Spark plugs do you prefer? I went in for my normal oil change, and he said it is time to change spark plugs at a cost of 250.00. I pretty much declined. The Mopar plugs are anywhere from 30.00 to 45.00 a piece depending on where I looked. I cant believe Mopar makes their own plugs. So I will be doing this myself

Thanks in Advance
Feeling too lazy to look at the moment, but... what does your owner's manual say about replacing spark plugs ? Sounds like maybe someone wants your money... a little early...

·
Registered
10,208 Posts
Oh and these appear to fit nicely for the 3.2L : [ame]https://www.amazon.com/Champion-RER8ZWYCB4-Iridium-Replacement-Spark/dp/B0076GI5MQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1509042102&vehicle=2015-42-347-2993--9-6-6-18788-3341-1-1-4894-171-1-0&sr=1-1&ymm=2015%3Ajeep%3Acherokee[/ame]

Edit to add : and the more I look at those plugs, the more I think that the Mopar plugs are Champion Iridium.

Here are some more expensive NGKs : [ame]https://www.amazon.com/NGK-SILZKR7B11-Laser-Iridium-Spark/dp/B003B3ECB6/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1509042102&vehicle=2015-42-347-2993--9-6-6-18788-3341-1-1-4894-171-1-0&sr=1-3&ymm=2015%3Ajeep%3Acherokee[/ame]

·
Registered
10,208 Posts
Ok. The waiting is killing me :grin:

Spark plug replacement : 100K miles. If you aren't at or near 100K, they just want your money.

To get to the plugs on the 3.2L, you need to remove the upper intake manifold. I have instructions for doing this, courtesy of... a trusted and extremely helpful forum member here. I'll share if needed.

Apparently Rock Auto has the Champion Iridium plugs for about $5 each.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes I have actually watched the video. Does not look like anything I can not handle. I think the most expensive one on rock Auto that i saw was @ 10.00. I already have all the tools. and if it only takes an hour or so. then why not do it myself. by the way, i hit the 100k mark a couple days ago. I really like driving this thing.

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts

Thanks in Advance
Back in the day, I had a 1994 Pontiac Formula Firebird and the dealer wanted over $1000 to change the plugs. I figured that I would do it myself as I used to be a longtime mechanic at school, for a living and a little in the neighborhood.

Seven of the plugs I had changed in about 2 hours and the last one (passenger side, by firewall) literally took me another 4 HOURS. Without lifting the engine, I had to go from the top, rotate the plug a few degrees, then under the vehicle, rotate another few degrees...repeat! I then had to reverse the process to re-install the last plug. It was the most time-consuming and terrible job I have ever had to do on a vehicle. Now I see why the dealer wanted to charge so much to change them. I still wake up in a cold sweat sometimes just thinking about this.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The only engine I would put champions in is my lawnmower. For my vehicles I have always gone with Bosch or NGK.

Reactions: audioclock

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
When I had my Patriot, I swapped out plugs with the cheapest copper plugs available.
The downside was that they wore out relatively quickly.

But they were so easy to swap out, it didn't matter. I ended up changing them 3 times (once at 50k± mile, again at 75k, and again at 100k) then I sold the vehicle.

If the TH is easy (I haven't even looked) then I'm going to repeat that pattern when I get there.
I'm only at 49k miles now, so I have a ways to go.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Back in the day, I had a 1994 Pontiac Formula Firebird and the dealer wanted over $1000 to change the plugs. I figured that I would do it myself as I used to be a longtime mechanic at school, for a living and a little in the neighborhood.

Seven of the plugs I had changed in about 2 hours and the last one (passenger side, by firewall) literally took me another 4 HOURS. Without lifting the engine, I had to go from the top, rotate the plug a few degrees, then under the vehicle, rotate another few degrees...repeat! I then had to reverse the process to re-install the last plug. It was the most time-consuming and terrible job I have ever had to do on a vehicle. Now I see why the dealer wanted to charge so much to change them. I still wake up in a cold sweat sometimes just thinking about this.
Sounds like a job I had on an old stratus where I needed to turn a bolt on my EGR valve to keep my engine from stalling when cold, but where the bolt was I couldn’t turn the ratchet at ALL. do yourself a favor, buy one (or two, if you’re prone to losing tools like I am) of these and thank me later. I use this exclusively instead of a conventional ratchet.

Stanley 89-962 3/8-Inch Drive Rotator Ratchet

@gravitywell has seen this tool in action and can vouch for its gloriousness.

Reactions: mults

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
Sounds like a job I had on an old stratus where I needed to turn a bolt on my EGR valve to keep my engine from stalling when cold, but where the bolt was I couldn’t turn the ratchet at ALL. do yourself a favor, buy one (or two, if you’re prone to losing tools like I am) of these and thank me later. I use this exclusively instead of a conventional ratchet.

Stanley 89-962 3/8-Inch Drive Rotator Ratchet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HEKV1W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_3xO8zbQ5NQS79

@gravitywell has seen this tool in action and can vouch for its gloriousness.
Thanks for the heads-up. I will have to get one of those...especially since I work for STANLEY Black and Decker...:grin:

That's one of those tools that you don't use a lot, but when you need it, it's there.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Oh and these appear to fit nicely for the 3.2L : https://www.amazon.com/Champion-RER...-1-4894-171-1-0&sr=1-1&ymm=2015:jeep:cherokee

Edit to add : and the more I look at those plugs, the more I think that the Mopar plugs are Champion Iridium.

Here are some more expensive NGKs : https://www.amazon.com/NGK-SILZKR7B...-1-4894-171-1-0&sr=1-3&ymm=2015:jeep:cherokee
I believe Mopar uses NGK. I've gotten plugs form Chrysler before and they were ngk. When I did my ram plugs, every parts place I called told me ngk was my stock brand.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,208 Posts
I believe Mopar uses NGK. I've gotten plugs form Chrysler before and they were ngk. When I did my ram plugs, every parts place I called told me ngk was my stock brand.
That's not what I'm seeing when I search. Someone said Mopar plugs used to be Autolites and have been Champions for a while now.

So who knows, right ? Safe to say that all the big plug manufcturers can make good spark plugs. Also safe to say car manufacturers usually go with the lowest bidder, so the source can and will change over time. Like oil filters.

The Mopar Cherokee plugs I saw on eBay look exactly like Champions (body, tip and head electrode cap).

·
Registered
103 Posts
That's not what I'm seeing when I search. Someone said Mopar plugs used to be Autolites and have been Champions for a while now.

So who knows, right ? Safe to say that all the big plug manufcturers can make good spark plugs. Also safe to say car manufacturers usually go with the lowest bidder, so the source can and will change over time. Like oil filters.

The Mopar Cherokee plugs I saw on eBay look exactly like Champions (body, tip and head electrode cap).
Interesting. I thought mopar was strictly ngk. I'll replace mine with ngk, I haven't seen much good with champion in my experiences.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts

Thanks in Advance
As Mark_ mentioned 100,000 miles for plugs as per the schedule. I probably would have asked them "what time are you referring to?".:surprise:

Try this site as I could not believe the price for Mopar plugs you were finding. I would also stick with Mopar Brand only.:smile:
https://www.moparpartscorp.com/spark-plugs/2014-jeep-cherokee

·
Registered
103 Posts
Mopar does use NGK, but not exclusively. 3.2 spec is Champion. I recommend sticking with it.
If the 3.2 calls for champion I'll replace with champion. I agree with sticking to the specs. We're not smarter than the engineers.

·
Registered
10,208 Posts
Does anyone know the correct gap? RockAuto's offerings for the 3.2 engine vary quite a bit.

-Rob
According to next site, gap on a Champion #9407 in a 3.2L would be 0.043
https://www.stockwiseauto.com/auto-...spark-plug?Year=2015&Make=Jeep&Model=Cherokee

They sell the Mopar plugs too but they don't provide gap numbers. If you look at different plug brands, you'll notice different gaps listed for both KL engines. Not sure here but it looks like gap may be brand dependant as well as engine dependant (2.4 or 3.2).

Edit to add : probably safe to say that Mopar plug gap would be the same as Champion, since they are Champion ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts