2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Tuesday I had taken the Jeep to the car wash . Didn't think much of it . The temp here got down to 2 degrees over night into Wednesday. Went to remote start the car about 15 mins before I had to leave for work . No start. So when I go out to the car I jump in hit the start button and the engine starts with the dash lit up like a christmas tree:oops:. Oh this isn't good. Shut it off and started it again . Not as many lights as the first time so turned it off again. Start it a third time , only the check engine light . Ok that's better I guess. Drove the jeep to work . Get out of work , try the remote start . Still didn't want to start , it fired up and then shut it's self off. Got in Hit the start button fired right up and no check engine light. Cool. Tested the remote start when I got home and everything was fine.

So went to the dealer to get the oil changed today. Asked them to plug the jeep in and see how many codes it threw. And the answer was 45 codes. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Damn . Something got wet that shouldn't have and then froze. They cleared the stored codes and shes all good again. :sneaky:

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
5,888 Posts
So Tuesday I had taken the Jeep to the car wash . Didn't think much of it . The temp here got down to 2 degrees over night into Wednesday. Went to remote start the car about 15 mins before I had to leave for work . No start. So when I go out to the car I jump in hit the start button and the engine starts with the dash lit up like a christmas tree:oops:. Oh this isn't good. Shut it off and started it again . Not as many lights as the first time so turned it off again. Start it a third time , only the check engine light . Ok that's better I guess. Drove the jeep to work . Get out of work , try the remote start . Still didn't want to start , it fired up and then shut it's self off. Got in Hit the start button fired right up and no check engine light. Cool. Tested the remote start when I got home and everything was fine.

So went to the dealer to get the oil changed today. Asked them to plug the jeep in and see how many codes it threw. And the answer was 45 codes. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Damn . Something got wet that shouldn't have and then froze. They cleared the stored codes and shes all good again. :sneaky:
Ya, probably not a great idea to wash your car when it's 2° out...😎

·
Registered
11,337 Posts
Ya, probably not a great idea to wash your car when it's 2° out...😎
Not uncommon where I live to stop by the car wash at 0F. Never had a problem like this.

I have no idea what happened here, possibly a sensor got soaked and then froze. But just a reminder that any check engine condition disables remote start.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
Olive Green 2020 Cherokee Trailhawk
152 Posts

I washed mine in -4 the other day. No issues other than the water freezing immediately after hitting the body 😂

You must have got a sensor wet in the engine bay. Thats my best guess

Reactions: 1coopgt61

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I washed mine in -4 the other day. No issues other than the water freezing immediately after hitting the body 😂

You must have got a sensor wet in the engine bay. Thats my best guess
Local car wash sprays the under body too so I wouldn't doubt it at all.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Yeah I have had my cherokee for 2 years now and only had 4 auto car washes. All 4 were at the dealer since they do it as a free service when looking at your vehicle. Once I noticed the swirl marks on the paint on top I specifically told the dealer to not wash my car after service anymore. I then had a place buff the paint to remove swirls. The rest have been by hand or using a power washer where I can control where I spray and how hard.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
5,888 Posts
Yeah I have had my cherokee for 2 years now and only had 4 auto car washes. All 4 were at the dealer since they do it as a free service when looking at your vehicle. Once I noticed the swirl marks on the paint on top I specifically told the dealer to not wash my car after service anymore. I then had a place buff the paint to remove swirls. The rest have been by hand or using a power washer where I can control where I spray and how hard.
So, you just don't wash it now???😎

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
134 Posts
Washed mine at -27c the other day, no issues.
However, I do make a point to drive around for 15 minutes or so afterwards if it's that cold out - my logic is the heat of the engine would evaporate any pooled water (close to the engine).

Reactions: Mark_

·
Registered
484 Posts
During the winter time i have a unlimited wash membership (washes undercarriage) . I go when its teens out only issue i ever ran into is by the time i get home ice has formed on the door to where i have to break that seal.

·
Registered
11,337 Posts
During the winter time i have a unlimited wash membership (washes undercarriage) . I go when its teens out only issue i ever ran into is by the time i get home ice has formed on the door to where i have to break that seal.
Doors, and I also crack the windows open a few times after a few minutes in the cold. One more important thing I do : I pop open the gas filler door (2014-2018), because I know it will likely freeze shut if I don't... I close it when I get to destination, after the wash.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Doors, and I also crack the windows open a few times after a few minutes in the cold. One more important thing I do : I pop open the gas filler door (2014-2018), because I know it will likely freeze shut if I don't... I close it when I get to destination, after the wash.
Ahh, I remember that. Many times I had to use some keys (very carefully) to pry open the fuel door on my '15.

The pop open style on my '19 is less susceptible.

Reactions: Mark_

·
Registered
11,337 Posts
Ahh, I remember that. Many times I had to use some keys (very carefully) to pry open the fuel door on my '15.

The pop open style on my '19 is less susceptible.
I've developped a quick and safe method for the gas door : use an old plastic card (credit card style, gift card, whatever you have...) and use it to 'cut' through the ice all around. Card flexes to fit the contour as you work it around. And with that I use the manual release, which cuts down on trips to the driver's door to push the button.
But after a wash, just leaving it open for a bit prevents the freezing. Mine still does freeze from time to time, but it's because of snow that melted, water got into the contour then re-froze.

Reactions: jeepreaper
1 - 14 of 14 Posts