2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

141 - 154 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
My 2014 has been perfect in every way and tomorrow i pick up my 2017.
Not sure I would be doing that if I did not have every confidence in my present vehicle.

Why are you getting rid of the 14? Lease?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with taatmk and personally guarantee the '16's will be problem free!

I like that guarantee--if I ever get my current KL repaired, maybe I will take you up on the new guarantee for 2016.
You cannot guarantee that they will have no issues. You sound like a car salesman.... Also I am having issues like many others with the transmission. If you think I would spend my time on a certain vehicle forums site for fun... You're mistaken. Jeep should admit it, learn from it and become a dealership that people would love to buy from.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I guess this is my main question as I am considering getting a 2016 Trailhawk. Thanks.

IOW will we still be reading reports of tranny problems with the 2016's?
I just took my 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk in today for transmission problems. There were very subtle shifting abnormalities over the last 2 months - so subtle, I almost questioned if they'd happened. Yesterday, however, it wouldn't shift out of gear (1st to 2nd? 2nd to 3rd?) after starting from a stop at a light. The car wouldn't accelerate over 20 mph - very exciting in DC traffic. When it did shift, there was a very abrupt/harsh jerking. Over a 19 mile commute, it never stalled, but it was clearly unhappy until it got into higher gears. Even then, there were shudders from the engine as I was driving down the highway. This morning, it was 100% normal. The dealer said there are software updates which may not have been able to download remotely because my BCM required an update, too.... Not sure that these updates will magically fix the problem, but have no choice but remain optimistic. In all other ways, this car has been dreamy. I'm at ~11k miles, 8 months of ownership.
Has your transmission problems been resolved with the updates?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has your transmission problems been resolved with the updates?
Just thought I'd pitch in here...I have a 2015 KL Trail Hawk; I went thru lots of recalls and SW updates as well as new TCM that would learn, causing the tranny to be replaced (all took about 5 weeks when brand new*)

I had no problems until last month; but they were Doozies! I had driven 6+ hours to my mountain cabin and had to park in the road to clear the berm at my driveway. When I attempted to shift into 4WD Low to descend a steep snow-covered driveway, It would shift into Low, and offered numerous messages on the 4WD system, the transmission, the shifter and the P. Brake. Beyond that, every shift I made that passed thru Neutral, it would lock in Neutral (for 4:30), then could be shifted. Finally figured out, that the transmission had gone into limp mode; so headed down the hill to the dealer.

There's more; but I'll save that for later...

So, I ask again: Anyone else having 'delayed-onset' Z-9 transmission problems?

* - yes, I now know I was stupid for taking it in for a Trans. recall before I saw any issues; but "I was being overly cautious, Kaptan"

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Short answer: no
My transmission was fine from day 1. Lots of recalls didn't really change anything. Probably lost second in the 3-2-1 downshift but I don't notice.
I have a 2014 V6 TH 96K miles. Have gone into limp home mode twice.
First, when I started the Jeep after buying gas. Ended up being a battery at the end of its useful life. There was an instantaneous interruption of CAN bus communications. The computers gave codes.
Second, when the tone ring on the front left wheel hub cracked and every computer receiving wheel speed information sent an error code.
Get the battery tested to rule that out, I get my battery tested every couple months.
Check your VIN on the Internet and make sure all recalls are complete.
When you get lots of codes the trick is to figure out which was the first code to be set, then the others follow.
Unfortunately this happens in milliseconds so it is hard to figure out. Even the mechanics seem to be clueless.
Your dealer mechanic should connect his wiTECH and try to figure out what is happening.
It will be interesting to find out what caused limp home mode.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Short answer: no
My transmission was fine from day 1. Lots of recalls didn't really change anything. Probably lost second in the 3-2-1 downshift but I don't notice.
I have a 2014 V6 TH 96K miles. Have gone into limp home mode twice.
First, when I started the Jeep after buying gas. Ended up being a battery at the end of its useful life. There was an instantaneous interruption of CAN bus communications. The computers gave codes.
Second, when the tone ring on the front left wheel hub cracked and every computer receiving wheel speed information sent an error code.
Get the battery tested to rule that out, I get my battery tested every couple months.
Check your VIN on the Internet and make sure all recalls are complete.
When you get lots of codes the trick is to figure out which was the first code to be set, then the others follow.
Unfortunately this happens in milliseconds so it is hard to figure out. Even the mechanics seem to be clueless.
Your dealer mechanic should connect his wiTECH and try to figure out what is happening.
It will be interesting to find out what caused limp home mode.
Now that this thread seems to be awake, I can give the rest of my sad story... (I forgot to mention above, that when I was finally able to shift it, there were ALWAYS LOUD KLUNK shifts.)

After a night in a motel, I left my car with the dealer, rented a car and continued my trip. I get a call that my vehicle is ready, something about a pin on the TCU not making contact... I go back down the hill and get my vehicle and drive back up, with normal operation.. And again at the top of the snow-covered driveway... I can't get it out of Drive, with what I would consider 'Hard' pushing, nothing. After a few minutes of continued trying, I notice that when I push the shift hard toward neutral and hold it, the transmission does goes into neutral, but, the shifter is still stuck. After great analysis, I determine that I just might be able to go down the drive, and run up a slight incline, that would allow me to drift backwards to my cabin. So I give it a go. I just about make it, but get stuckand can't roll back in the deep snow. Trying to rock it between giving it gas and letting it roll back, it finally pops into Neutral, and sticks. I try to push it back down the hill to my cabin. No luck, too slippery for my boots. Dicking around some more with the shifter it pops into reverse and I am able to back to my cabin; But won't (again with strong force) go into Park. More dicking around, and it goes into Drive but won't come out. All of this takes maybe an hour, completely invisible from anyone on the road above driving by, and an hour from the nearest town.

There is now only one logical decision, pack-up and head home. Including only pull-thru stops for gas, coffee and food. Shifts normally and no warning lights while travelling. Gassing and relieving myself on my 6 hour drive home take place with the parking brake ON, and into a water bottle between the doors --because as you know, stuck in drive, you can't shut off your engine. "Must be in Park". Drive all the way home, 6 hours, in drive, minimal stops. I Unload my still 'running in Drive, with the P Brake on' car. Lock it and go inside. Set a timer for 20 minutes, to try and shift it again. Nope. Do this a few times and finally figure: "Surely, I can exert at least a couple hundred pounds of force while seated, and that's really all I have left to try.

Finally, with probably 150 lbs. of force, I get it out of Drive, into N, then R, then Park. Shut it off and go to bed. Ignored my jeep all the next day! The following day I call the dealer to warn them "I'll be coming in (with a vehicle running, in gear) that can't be shut off; where would you like it?"

Of course, it started and operated normally. However, in 6 years and 70k miles, I have driven in some Very Remote areas especially off-road. And while I always carry water and a flashlight, and frequently some additional clothing, I am really going to think twice before venturing into the wilderness next time. Sad, because, I never had a worry before.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
That is incredible.
Don't know if this helps but there is an emergency gear shift lever release in the shift console.
It is the small rectangular hole not the large hole in the console cover. Put an opened paper clip down into the small rectangular hole.
There are instructions in the Owner's Manual.
Has the issue been identified and repaired?
I think I have been overwhelmed.
If I get stuck on my hill it is a long hike to civilization and many miles to home.
Neither FCA or AAA do off road recovery.
rectangular release hole use a paper clip.jpg

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
That is incredible.
Don't know if this helps but there is an emergency gear shift lever release in the shift console.
It is the small rectangular hole not the large hole in the console cover. Put an opened paper clip down into the small rectangular hole.
There are instructions in the Owner's Manual.
Has the issue been identified and repaired?
I think I have been overwhelmed.
If I get stuck on my hill it is a long hike to civilization and many miles to home.
Neither FCA or AAA do off road recovery. View attachment 213440
Imagine that??? Learn something new everyday...😎

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think that is for tow truck drivers so they can load your Cherokee onto a flat tow?
Pretty sure that is correct. It just releases the "Foot on the parking brake" interlock, that you can hear and feel toggle when you tap the brake while idling in Park. Although, that was the first thing suggested by the dealer where I had just picked up my jeep, when I called using the wifi from my cabin below, describing the new problem.

As I understand it, --aside from the P. Brake interlock-- there are just some mechanical detents in each of the shifter positions, and there is just a cable gloing to a shift arm on the outside of the transmission. So that seems to indicate that the shift lever on the transmission seems to have been locked, or binding mechanically. Not sure whether the transmission has internal shift lever lockouts, that might be activated, by the fluidics system at specific times, or states.(???)

And, No it's not fixed. They couldn't really try to repair it when the problem had disappeared. Luckily, I purchased the extended Warranty, so there is hope down the road, except that it only covers repairs due to a failed part. So, if say they did a bunch of labor and software work and it 'went away' --as the initial 4WD Low problem above did-- w/o repalcing a failed part... Guess what wouldn't be covered.

At this point, I think my best chance might be stopping in at the ZF Factory, where the Z9 transmission was created, next time I am in Europe and offering to take a bunch of the engineers out to dinner if they'll talk with me about their transmission for an afternoon. I hope their English is decent!

Or maybe a BMW thread; I understand this Z9 is used in some other model vehicles.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Maybe this will save you a trip to Europe:
Did a search and there are other videos.
There was a really detailed video someplace that explained everything, maybe it is in this forum someplace.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cool. Looking forward to watching this and some others. They're probably going to have me making a sign of the cross every time my transmission successfully completes an up/downshift.

141 - 154 of 154 Posts