2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

121 - 140 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I can tell you my new Renegade TH shifts exponentially better so far....
Same transmission as in the Cherokee, just 2 years from the initial offering. So, conclusion they have improved it.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Same transmission as in the Cherokee, just 2 years from the initial offering. So, conclusion they have improved it.
That is what I am hoping..time and miles will tell

·
Registered
996 Posts
It does appear they are heading in the right direction. For the 2015's, I have 2 200's 2 Promaster City's and a KL. They do shift much better than My [8] 2014 KL's. It will be an interesting comparison as I am adding a 2016 Renegade TH and a KL TH next month. My biggest fear is that the wife will fall in love with the Renegade.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
It does appear they are heading in the right direction. For the 2015's, I have 2 200's 2 Promaster City's and a KL. They do shift much better than My [8] 2014 KL's. It will be an interesting comparison as I am adding a 2016 Renegade TH and a KL TH next month. My biggest fear is that the wife will fall in love with the Renegade.

Oh no, giving you the KL TH, tar and feather her!!! LOL!!! Enjoy @Desoto, if I ever come to the Bay Area I want one of your KL's picking me up at SFO!!

Reactions: gravitywell

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
She might really like the Renegade it is nimble and comfortable. It does miss a few features but represents an excellent value. If you have any questions about KL vs BU let me know as I now mine

·
Registered
996 Posts
She might really like the Renegade it is nimble and comfortable. It does miss a few features but represents an excellent value. If you have any questions about KL vs BU let me know as I now mine
As most of us know, spouses are hard to figure out. She has always had Mustangs. She liked the 2015 Durango, has been cold on the KL's but keeps bugging me about the "Baby Jeep". Go figure...

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
As most of us know, spouses are hard to figure out. She has always had Mustangs. She liked the 2015 Durango, has been cold on the KL's but keeps bugging me about the "Baby Jeep". Go figure...
I actually understand that as I had a gen Scion xB.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Anyone know if all these Trans problem plauge the 4L or more on the 6cyl ???

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Anyone know if all these Trans problem plauge the 4L or more on the 6cyl ???

They were on either engine. Keyword is "were".

·
Premium Member
5,297 Posts
Well to add a little personal opinion and observation:
I believe some where in the mid 2015 production something mechanical was changed in their ZF transmission. Chrysler produces the ZF under license at Chryslers own transmission plant from what I understand.
I know in and around May 2015 the RO1 was released which dealt with a "durability" issue with the ZF. It updated the TCM software and eliminated the 3/2 downshift. The RO1 was suppose to have a snap ring stress test included and replacement if it failed. There was also a TSB on correct install and placement of that snap ring which was different than from the original build.

Now there was a posting, I believe I remember that a Cherokee got a replacement Transmission. That transmission was a "new" build, not factory remanufactured one. It also had special software associated with it that was not to be used in other that specified transmissions. I assume that meant transmissions prior to this new build transmission. I also believe if I remember correctly that Cherokee got the 3/2 downshift back.
From what I have read the 2016's have the 3/2 down shift back. I have not heard of any late build 2015's that have it yet.

I would assume that something mechanical was changed in the ZF during manufacture, to allow new software to bring back the 3/2 downshift. That would mean the durability issue was resolved.
Now I sit with a Cherokee with no 3/2 down shift which can be an issue at times when towing. No where as bad if it was a 4 or 5 speed transmission. Still an issue though.
If nothing mechanical was changed and software only was the reason for the return of the 3/2 downshift what was the durability issue, the snap ring and positioning of it?
I feel it might be a bit more to it in my opinion.
What is FCA's solution for 2014's and 2015's with the "fixed" durability issue via software. That is no 3/2 downshift.

I am convinced that there will be no software fix for my 2014 without a mechanical adjustment along with new software. That means a new transmission.
That is not going to happen any time soon, short of a transmission failure.

Now with that said my 2014 is running perfect and I could not be happier, except for that issue of the 3/2 downshift.
I would really like to know what FCA plans to do to remedy the issue with early Cherokees. It is obvious at this point to me that it is more than a software issue with these early Cherokees.
Otherwise a patch would be out to bring the 3/2 back. Bringing the 3/2 back would also bring back the "durability" issue with the early transmissions. But again that's just my humble opinion.

That's an answer that Jeep Cares should really deal with.

Actually mine was eliminated on a May 2014 update I got on May 2015, which was the only TCM/PCM update to date on my Cherokee.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I believe some where in the mid 2015 production something mechanical was changed in their ZF transmission. Chrysler produces the ZF under license at Chryslers own transmission plant from what I understand.
I know in and around May 2015 the RO1 was released which dealt with a "durability" issue with the ZF. It updated the TCM software and eliminated the 3/2 downshift. The RO1 was suppose to have a snap ring stress test included and replacement if it failed. There was also a TSB on correct install and placement of that snap ring which was different than from the original build.

Now there was a posting, I believe I remember that a Cherokee got a replacement Transmission. That transmission was a "new" build, not factory remanufactured one. It also had special software associated with it that was not to be used in other that specified transmissions. I assume that meant transmissions prior to this new build transmission. I also believe if I remember correctly that Cherokee got the 3/2 downshift back.
From what I have read the 2016's have the 3/2 down shift back. I have not heard of any late build 2015's that have it yet.

I would assume that something mechanical was changed in the ZF during manufacture, to allow new software to bring back the 3/2 downshift. That would mean the durability issue was resolved.

I think that you may be correct in your assumption. After having my trans software flashed several times it was never able to rid itself of the rough 2 to 3 up shift. A new trans was installed a couple of weeks ago and shifting is very smooth and there is a 3 to 2 downshift. I asked for a new trans and not a rebuilt one to be installed. Jeep told me they always order a new one but if one was not available they would send a rebuilt one to the dealer. I am not sure if that makes any difference since I would think the internals of the trans are all new and it is the housing that may not be. I saw the dealers invoice and the new trans cost $ 5200 installed and there was a $ 2000 core credit for the one they took out of my car. I was also told they would be replacing the computer which I guess is the TCM. If I was just driving the car for the first time today and I would never even think about the trans or how it is shifting. In my mind Jeep has sorted out most if not all of the old trans problems with the new builds.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Just ran the Built and Price on Jeeps website for the 2016 models and still don't see the dashboard bacon dispenser on the options list, so I think the answer to the thread's question is still no

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Just ran the Built and Price on Jeeps website for the 2016 models and still don't see the dashboard bacon dispenser on the options list, so I think the answer to the thread's question is still no
It is a secret dealer installed option, >:D. Only for those that discovered this site prior to purchase, >:D.

·
Premium Member
5,297 Posts

I think that you may be correct in your assumption. After having my trans software flashed several times it was never able to rid itself of the rough 2 to 3 up shift. A new trans was installed a couple of weeks ago and shifting is very smooth and there is a 3 to 2 downshift. I asked for a new trans and not a rebuilt one to be installed. Jeep told me they always order a new one but if one was not available they would send a rebuilt one to the dealer. I am not sure if that makes any difference since I would think the internals of the trans are all new and it is the housing that may not be. I saw the dealers invoice and the new trans cost $ 5200 installed and there was a $ 2000 core credit for the one they took out of my car. I was also told they would be replacing the computer which I guess is the TCM. If I was just driving the car for the first time today and I would never even think about the trans or how it is shifting. In my mind Jeep has sorted out most if not all of the old trans problems with the new builds.
Thanks for the feedback. You help confirm my thoughts on this subject.:smile:

·
Registered
66 Posts
My 16 has been great so far at just over 12000km. I have a functioning 3-2 downshift and great shifting through all the gears. I was in the dealer for the hatch recall and there were no software updates at all.

Sent from my SM-G850W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I guess this is my main question as I am considering getting a 2016 Trailhawk. Thanks.

IOW will we still be reading reports of tranny problems with the 2016's?
I just took my 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk in today for transmission problems. There were very subtle shifting abnormalities over the last 2 months - so subtle, I almost questioned if they'd happened. Yesterday, however, it wouldn't shift out of gear (1st to 2nd? 2nd to 3rd?) after starting from a stop at a light. The car wouldn't accelerate over 20 mph - very exciting in DC traffic. When it did shift, there was a very abrupt/harsh jerking. Over a 19 mile commute, it never stalled, but it was clearly unhappy until it got into higher gears. Even then, there were shudders from the engine as I was driving down the highway. This morning, it was 100% normal. The dealer said there are software updates which may not have been able to download remotely because my BCM required an update, too.... Not sure that these updates will magically fix the problem, but have no choice but remain optimistic. In all other ways, this car has been dreamy. I'm at ~11k miles, 8 months of ownership. :-/

·
Registered
687 Posts
My 2014 has been perfect in every way and tomorrow i pick up my 2017.
Not sure I would be doing that if I did not have every confidence in my present vehicle.

121 - 140 of 154 Posts