2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

101 - 120 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Personally I have a June 2015 build v6 TH and cant say I have any issues with the transmission. Yes it has overheated on me after pushing it hard for 45min in deep boggy sand but I dont call that a fault.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2016 Cherokee TrailHawk. Transmission problem 3700 miles. First they said program update. Warning lights came back on. Next they say replace control module. Again warning light comes back on. Now it's getting a new transmission. Not all of them have problems I see them everywhere. In fact I'm driving a 2015 cherokee for a loaner and it drives fine. Just throwing in my experience for you guys and gals.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I have a 2016 Cherokee TrailHawk. Transmission problem 3700 miles. First they said program update. Warning lights came back on. Next they say replace control module. Again warning light comes back on. Now it's getting a new transmission. Not all of them have problems I see them everywhere. In fact I'm driving a 2015 cherokee for a loaner and it drives fine. Just throwing in my experience for you guys and gals.
Specs and build date of your 2016?

·
Registered
475 Posts
There had been some speculation that the 2016's would somehow be immune from the transmission problems of the 2014 and 2015 models. Unfortunately it doesn't look like that's happening. Not good. One would have thought FCA would have used every resource possible to prevent this. Ouch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I purchased it at the end of October 2015. Build date I'm not sure. I will look when I get it back unless there is another way to find out. As for specs transmission was a 9-spd 948TE 4WD Auto Trans and it has a 2.4L l4 MultiAir Engine.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Finx, when will they be done replacing the transmission in your Trailhawk? How long did it take for them to get you a new one?

·
Registered
5 Posts
They ordered it Monday. They said it should be in Thursday. And I will hopefully get it back by Monday if not Friday evening (if everything works right)

·
Registered
475 Posts
They ordered it Monday. They said it should be in Thursday. And I will hopefully get it back by Monday if not Friday evening (if everything works right)
Yeah, I had about the same experience with my recent replacement last month. But the first time I had to have the transmission replaced I had to wait more than a month because so many transmissions were failing that they were backordered. They obviously were not prepared for how many failures there are, and at least they now seem to realize they need to have them ready to ship in the parts distribution centers so that a dealer can get a new one each time one fails.

Last week the valve body in the brand new transmission failed and they had to replace that, but they were able to get that part right away too as it seems to be a parts that commonly fails. The new transmission seems OK now...the dealer says it's operating as designed.

Hope your new transmission is the end of your problems and you don't have to suffer through what I did.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So can we expect a full fix for the 2016 Cherokee?

Fat chance! This tranny is borked due to FCA not really knowing what they were getting into from the get-go. It's now up to the comsumer to play the 'update' game until they get it right.
Did they get it "right" yet and if so, when did this happen ?

Do 2016s have any transmission issues ?

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
My wife has a late 2013 buiild Cherokee had some funny shifting problems, but has the R03 I think (doesn't downshift from 3) other than that it shifts fine.

I just got a 2016 and it shifts flawless, there is a large noticeable difference in how it shifts. It is a bit weird how some vehicles are fine and others not. I have lots of warranty left so we'll see how mine plays out.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Did they get it "right" yet and if so, when did this happen ?

Do 2016s have any transmission issues ?
Based on posts here from owners of MY 2016s, as well as a reduction of complaints in newspaper/magazine articles, and a reduction in complaints at the government site, it appears the 2016s do not have the severe issues experience by some (maybe a lot?) of the MY 2014s and early MY 2015s.

Seems like the transmission problems started dropping off around the beginning of calendar year 2015.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ask yourself this. Other than the Cherokee, when was the last time you met someone with a car less than 2 years old that had to have the transmission replaced? Sure, it happens, but in this day and age it's pretty darn rare...
My 2013 JK (Wrangler) w/3.6 had to have the leftside head replaced on the engine. There were several 1,000 JKs that had the same issue.

The issue was with a valve seat that worked loose. The problem was finally traced back to the manufacturing plant where the 3.6 heads are made.

Turns out one of the automatic drilling machines had a bad drill bit in the #3 slot that drilled out the valve seat area.

The problem was not caught for many months down the road. This cost FCA and the head manufacturer book-oo $$$ and pissed off a whole boat load of JK owners.

Back the KL transmission issues.... It is mindboggling to me that FCA/ZF have YET to fully nail these problems down once and for all and are still spitting on defective transmissions.

I will not buy a KL until I am 200 % convinced that these transmission issues are no longer and issue.

Simply not acceptable IMHO.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
you might be waiting a while.....

·
Registered
248 Posts
It would be hard for anyone who had trans problems with this ZF 9 speed to ever trust that the bugs have been completely worked out of it. It will be interesting to see if FCA continues forward with this particular transmission in future model years of the KL. If they didn't it wouldn't be the first time that a manufacturer changed the transmission design after a short time. It happened to my BMW X3. That car could never decide what gear to be in when it was going up hills. Two years later the trans was redesigned.

·
Premium Member
5,297 Posts
I have a theory, FCA is doing an experiment on us. Some receive notification as the "experimental group" and some don't as the "control group." They want to gather statistics on the effectiveness of the new software.
Then the real question is who got the placebo? :wink:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Then the real question is who got the placebo? :wink:

I feel like I've gotten the "placebo" the last 2 times I've had mine flashed w/ a supposed "update." Mine still won't do a proper 3-2-1 downshift and will stay in 3rd when I come to a crawl w/o fully stopping. Then once I give it A LOT of gas, it jerks hard to 2nd or 1st and takes off. If I just ease into it, I lug along in 3rd until it feels the need to jump to 4th... usually around 30 mph. So **** frustrating!!!!!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
The thing I cannot figure out is why my early Apr '14 built THawk never had a transmission problem, or a transmission recall, or a recall of any kind in the 13,000 miles we ran it. The car was faultless and was only traded because for personal reasons. - Ted.

·
Registered
66 Posts
"flawless" base 2013 build. Only airbag recall done (what car hasn't had one) . many times over 32 mpg. It is very peppy 2.4 2wd.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Based on posts here from owners of MY 2016s, as well as a reduction of complaints in newspaper/magazine articles, and a reduction in complaints at the government site, it appears the 2016s do not have the severe issues experience by some (maybe a lot?) of the MY 2014s and early MY 2015s.

Seems like the transmission problems started dropping off around the beginning of calendar year 2015.
I can tell you my new Renegade TH shifts exponentially better so far....

101 - 120 of 154 Posts