2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a lot of searching I found the Jeep cherokee trailhawk to be the perfect fit for me (excellent off roading, good fuel economy, good on the road and reasonably sized) however I know the cherokee has a serious problem with the transmission. I found a jeep for sale that had its transmission replaced about 12 months ago and the dealer says that the replacement fixed the problem, old owner decided to trade it for a Grand Cherokee. I saw a lot of complaints online from people who only had software updates but not much info on people who had the transmission changed. The car has the extended warranty but I do intend to take it off roading and away from civilisation so i can't have a car that will randomly fall apart.
Should I buy the 2014 trailhawk? If not what car in a similar price and performance bracket would you recommend?
https://nox.tips/ Mobdro https://pnrstatus.vip/

·
Registered
112 Posts
Seems like you answered your own question...

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Buy it, drive it like you stole it, then buy a good vehicle.
If you are not independently wealthy then I suggest NO.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Please keep in mind that more than a quarter million Cherokees were built for the 2014 run and few of them ever developed any tangible issues. Recalls were issued as precautions to everyone regardless of if you had any problems or not.

I, myself, bought a '14 TH and have had no issues whatsoever. I liked the vehicle, the price was right, and the statistical probability of me getting it with a trans problem was in my favour.

Consumer reports and forums are going to give the impression of more issues than there really are due to the fact that people are more likely to talk about any potential problems with a purchase (ie join a forum to ask if such n such is normal etc) than to talk a out how amazing something is.

Having said all that, there is a very real possibility that you could win the lemon lottery and get a KL with a janky tranny, so purchase with caution and make sure your private seller has detailed service records or your dealership has a solid extended warranty.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If they replaced the transaxle they should have paperwork showing that. A new transaxle should fix the issues.

The transaxle replacement fixed my 2014 TH for the next owner. FCA bought mine back, did a deep dive on my transaxle and decided to replace it. The dealer bought it back and sold it.

The woman who bought it has been driving it since 2015 with no issues.

·
Registered
822 Posts
If it was replaced 12 months ago it should be good. My understanding that that midway through 2015 ZF started to let manufacturers make hardware changes the the transmision (up until them they controlled all that stuff and would not do that, and FCA was not the only manufacturer to have problems with it in the start) and after that point there have not really been problems with the transmission. So given that timeline it should have one of the new ones, most likely the same ones that are going into the 2019's or even the 2020's. I can say that I have been very happy with the one in my 2019 it sift smooth as butter. and I think the change is also evidanced by the fact that the only ones to really have recalls are the 2014's with the factory instaled trans.

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
The issue is not just whether the tea
After a lot of searching I found the Jeep cherokee trailhawk to be the perfect fit for me (excellent off roading, good fuel economy, good on the road and reasonably sized) however I know the cherokee has a serious problem with the transmission. I found a jeep for sale that had its transmission replaced about 12 months ago and the dealer says that the replacement fixed the problem, old owner decided to trade it for a Grand Cherokee. I saw a lot of complaints online from people who only had software updates but not much info on people who had the transmission changed. The car has the extended warranty but I do intend to take it off roading and away from civilisation so i can't have a car that will randomly fall apart.
Should I buy the 2014 trailhawk? If not what car in a similar price and performance bracket would you recommend?
https://nox.tips/ Mobdro https://pnrstatus.vip/
The issue is not just whether the transmission will be reliable. The issue is that the the ZF-designed, FCA-built 9-speed in the Cherokees, is, by design, weird. I had a 2014, now 2017 that is coming off lease in three months, both of which were reliable, but I won't get another. I just do not like the how the transmission feels, how it upshifts and downshifts. Others here don't mind it. I know of no one who loves it. So just make sure you drive it, floor it off the line, put it in passing situations, try to use transmission braking, etc., before you buy it.

·
Registered
855 Posts
The OP has been back to the forum in 3 weeks. He won’t see any of your posts. Typical hit-and-run thread.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Mine was built in 2013 and runs fine. In fact, because it was built in 2013, it doesn't have the W47 recall problem that many of the newer ones are now facing.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I like it when people prove me wrong.
I plan on keeping my 2014 V6 TH for a while so am encouraged.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts