2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My jeep has had some issues with power loss and dying while driving but have also had a message pop up saying shift to desired gear from park almost always while driving. Now it is shutting off while backing up. Anyone else with this issue?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It died pulling out of driveway but the shift message happens randomly either backing out or it does it while driving. Have had the parking brake set itself for no reason also

·
Super Moderator
7,381 Posts
There was an issue early on, can't remember if there is a TSB, where members stated they had their shift lever/mechanism replaced as it was having issues. Might want to schedule a trip to the dealer and have them diagnose.

Also, there is an "auto brake" system that will apply the parking brake when a door is opened when in gear. Also shows "Shift into Park" if I'm not mistaken...any possibility there is a door or liftgate that is not properly closed when this happens?

As a side note, many of us had success with random electrical gremlins by double checking that all fuses and relays in the vehicle (inside and under hood) were all seated correctly. Some found loose ones and when pushed all the way in, issues resolved. There have also been a few that found loose ground straps thay created similar issues.

Good luck and please post your outcome.

Reactions: N3ILL0

·
Registered
131 Posts
I hate that backing up with door open enables parking break, I always forget lol! Or when pulling a trailer and forget to disable park sense and jeep slams on brakes

2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk V6, Tow Pkg, 4x4, In Mango Tango

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you figure out the problem?

My Cherokee started having the exact same problem about a week ago, with the smae message. Did you ever find a solution?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Welcome to the club.
I can't tell what the solution is from the above posts.
We jump on the battery as a primary issue. Get it tested to make sure it is ok.
I don't know the year of your Jeep so it is difficult to suggest an idea.
Check your VIN on jeep.com and see if you have any outstanding recalls.
Specifically view Post #4 above.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome to the club.
I can't tell what the solution is from the above posts.
We jump on the battery as a primary issue. Get it tested to make sure it is ok.
I don't know the year of your Jeep so it is difficult to suggest an idea.
Check your VIN on jeep.com and see if you have any outstanding recalls.
Specifically view Post #4 above.
I have a 2016 Cherokee.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
TSB 08-054-18 REV A for the shifter applies to the 2016. It may or may not resolve your issue.
If the connector contacts get corroded most anything could happen.
There is also a PTU spline recall than may apply to your vehicle.
Everything else in post #9 still applies.
Could you explain your symptoms again, I am easily confused?

·
Registered
4 Posts
TSB 08-054-18 REV A for the shifter applies to the 2016. It may or may not resolve your issue.
If the connector contacts get corroded most anything could happen.
There is also a PTU spline recall than may apply to your vehicle.
Everything else in post #9 still applies.
Could you explain your symptoms again, I am easily confused?
When driving, typically 1-2 minutes after starting the car it will "die" when I am driving. When I say "die" I mean the rpm's go to zero and pressing on the gas does nothing.
The steering wheel completely locks up. The car is still on, music still playing and dashboard screen still displaying as if I was driving.
Right when this happens a notification pops up on the dashboard saying something like "switch to desired gear from P".
I shift to park and then back to drive and it doesn't do anything.
I shut the car off and turn back on and it does the same thing.
After 30 seconds on being turned back the engine starts sounding like **** to play catch up and turns back on.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
You hit the key point: "The steering wheel completely locks up."
The Cherokee has Electric Power Steering, not a belt driven pump. So if the engine stops running, as in running out of gas, the power steering still works just fine, you can still easily steer.
Even though the battery seems good, it is not good enough to power the the EPS, it draws lots of current.
So I am going to vote for a new AGM battery.
When was your battery last replaced? A 4 year old battery in these Jeeps won't "cut it".
Let me know what you find out.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Wow!!! He's going to push that bad battery to the point where he's going to have to re-flash the whole damn car to get things back to normal!!! It's clearly to the danger zone. We can write a book about all the random, and strange things we've seen the KL's do when the voltage starts to vary in the slightest ways for any reason, but 8.5 times out of 10 it always comes back to the battery...A GOOD battery is a very important component on most every modern vehicle nowadays, they do much more than just start these "rolling computers". The thought of running 75 down the interstate, and things like losing the EPS scares the hell out me just thinking that's even possible. Get it fixed before someone gets hurt...

Reactions: sanghill

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow!!! He's going to push that bad battery to the point where he's going to have to re-flash the whole damn car to get things back to normal!!! It's clearly to the danger zone. We can write a book about all the random, and strange things we've seen the KL's do when the voltage starts to vary in the slightest ways for any reason, but 8.5 times out of 10 it always comes back to the battery...A GOOD battery is a very important component on most every modern vehicle nowadays, they do much more than just start these "rolling computers". The thought of running 75 down the interstate, and things like losing the EPS scares the hell out me just thinking that's even possible. Get it fixed before someone gets hurt...
Amen. I was scared as hell driving on the interstate yesterday. Luckily this happened yesterday and I have been researching why that was happening. I really appreciate the help everyone!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts