2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried a search, so please forgive me if this has been beaten to death.
At highway speeds,(>65 mph) my 2019 Trailhawk's hood shakes up and down a bit. Is that normal? It is latched and there is no vibration elsewhere from the car. It doesn't seem to cause any problem.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
At highway speeds,(>65 mph) my 2019 Trailhawk's hood shakes up and down a bit. Is that normal? It is latched and there is no vibration elsewhere from the car. It doesn't seem to cause any problem.
It sounds to me like you might want to adjust the latch downward ever so slightly. The easiest way, I believe, is to take out one or two of the grille covers; this should allow you to adjust and tighten the latch with the hood closed. My latch was a bit misaligned when I bought the car, and that's what I ended up doing when I adjusted it.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
94 Posts

I have the exact same issue on my 2019 Overland. It only happens above 50-60mph

Let me know if you get it solved!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Do the 19's still have adjusters at the front corners under the hood, should be close to the DRL's.

They were screwed out TOO FAR on our 16 causing the hood to be TOO high at the front corners.
Maybe you need to try adjusting them out to support the hood.

·
Registered
139 Posts
FWIW I've never noticed this on my 14, maybe more of an issue with the lighter hood?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
The 2019 rear hatch is composite, not metal as before. AFAIK the hood hasn’t changed. The hood myth began by very poor journalism where the reporters stated that the “new” aluminum hood was part of the 150 weight reduction between the 2018 and 2019. It wasn’t.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I finally made it to the dealer. The service manager sent me to the body shop. The manager there had never heard of this. He is going to check to see if Jeep has sent out any info on this issue. We'll see...... some day.

·
Registered
771 Posts
AFAIK the hood hasn’t changed. The hood myth began by very poor journalism where the reporters stated that the “new” aluminum hood was part of the 150 weight reduction between the 2018 and 2019. It wasn’t.
Not entirely true. The hood is significantly different in shape, and they could have squeezed a few ounces out of the new design.

Previous MOPAR P/N: 68103664AC
New MOPAR P/N: 68290450AA

Some of the reports certainly make it sound like the aluminum part is new, but most read that the hood is new, and also made of aluminum. Very easy to misinterpret.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought my '19 Trailhawk and immediately hit the road for a 6 hour drive. At highway speeds the shaking is very noticeable-- especially as the sun and clouds reflect overhead. I had to pull over at a rest stop to check the fastening to be sure. Good to know I'm not hypersensitive/paranoid to this.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Well, something must be different. It doesn't take Columbo to figure out that all complaints about the hood shaking are coming from 2019 model year owners, not the other five model years. The hood is either lighter, shaped differently, installed improperly or a combination of the three.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Mine doesn’t shake nor flutter - up to 75 mph anyway. No adjustment was required. Neither was Columbo.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts