2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 610 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2014 Latitude V6 with Active Drive II. While towing behind my motorhome on a 5000 mile trip last summer I experienced a severe side to side shaking in the front wheels of the Jeep about 7 times. Extremely intermittent, and difficult to diagnose at first (is it motorhome, towing setup, or the Jeep itself causing this?). Lots of moving parts here, but I am closing in on the answer.
The shaking is severe. I can feel it A LOT way up in the front of the motorhome. First time I thought the drive axle in the motorhome had come loose from the frame on one side! When it happens I stop immediately, of course, and inspect everything. Nothing appears wrong. This seems to occur when one of the front wheels on the Jeep goes over some raised area in the road (once when I took a tight right turn and the Jeep went over a curb, once after going over some white 1" high markers in the road) or perhaps a rutted place (once railroad tracks at an angle), but it is so intermittent it's hard to be sure of the cause, and I cannot reproduce it. It does seem to happen at lower speeds, seldom over 35MPH thank goodness.
At considerable expense I've had the motorhome thoroughly checked (first thought was it was the bushings in the track bar) and there is no problem there. I've replaced the tow bar and checked the geometry - no problem there. New tires and balance on the Jeep. Still no help.
Now I find I'm not alone. Another person wrote to a motorhoming magazine and he has had the same thing occurring. I suspect there are more to come.
Now, what's going on? Could this be related to the half shaft problems or other front steering things showing up on the KLs? Mine drives perfectly - no shake shimmy or anything EXCEPT this potentially dangerous thing when towing.
Anybody have ideas? Jeep dealers say they have to be able to reproduce the problem - and I don't want to take them on a 1000 mile or so test ride....

·
Registered
321 Posts
We have towed our TH 10,000 miles behind our motorhome and never had that issue. We use the Roadmaster tow setup and the AirForce One brake solution.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Same braking and tow bar setup I have. I'm really foxed so far. Thanks for the reply. Knowing some have no problem is as important as finding out how many do.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
I'm towing with no problems. Others on this site and Jeep Garage have discussed towing the Jeep Cherokee and no one yet has commented on any problems. All reports are it's a perfect toad.

Don't know how much experience you have towing, so please pardon anything that seems elementary to you. Doubt it has anything to do with the motorhome, unless the hitch receiver is loose. The first thing that came to mind when you described "a severe side to side shaking in the front wheels" was the tow bar. The extension tubes must be locked. But you said you replaced the tow bar. Did the shaking occur the same way with both the old and new tow bars? Are you sure the base plates are still tight? Who installed them? You've got new tires and balance. Is it possible the wheel alignment got knocked out when the wheel got dragged over the curb, making the wheels not track properly at certain speeds?

Are you sure the driveline is in neutral? (It must be otherwise the transaxle would be toast by now?)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am in fact well experienced - towed several Jeeps behind four motorhomes for over 200K miles. All towing geometry is correct and tight. I am taking the Jeep to local dealer tomorrow for inspection - but if it were a front end problem it ought to occur when driving as well as towing - and it drives perfectly. Unless the electrically assisted power steering could be the problem. Anyway I have to start at the dealership with the basic checkup. More than anything I am looking for ammunition (others experiencing the same thing) so I can talk to an engineer and maybe get a fix figured out.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
.... Unless the electrically assisted power steering could be the problem. ....
Given the ignition is turned off while towing, what are your thoughts on how the electrically assisted power steering could be involved?

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
^^^^

There may be something to the electric power steering causing the issue. Without the engine running, there is no assist in the power steering to keep tension on the front wheels. If (at certain times) the front wheels of the Jeep hits a bump or other item in the road, it may cause the front wheels to sway back and forth (like a shopping cart) at certain speeds. To verify this, I would start the Jeep (to activate the electric power steering) and take a short test drive over areas where the shaking occurs to see if it goes away.

Just trying to offer up an idea...

Reactions: bvg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good thoughts, and thanks. I'm going to try hooking it up and have someone in the Jeep yank the steering wheel while it is being towed...that should simulate the likely cause. Will let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I wonder if you have a bad shock absorber/strut. You might not notice it driving, but I know that there have been some Cherokees with leaking/bad shock absorber/strut reported.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Took it to the dealer yesterday - they (as expected) realigned it. It was out of spec but not badly. Anyway, that's where they start. I only can ASSUME (did not ask) if they inspected the struts an d shocks....

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Took it to the dealer yesterday - they (as expected) realigned it. It was out of spec but not badly. Anyway, that's where they start. I only can ASSUME (did not ask) if they inspected the struts an d shocks....
Good info. Keep us posted on how it works out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had the same experience.

Owners of 2014 and 2015 Jeep Cherokees are experiencing a problem when they tow the vehicle behind a motor home.

The Jeep goes out of control, rocking the MH back and forth.

According to postings on the Family Motor Home Association website, it happens with different brands of motor homes, different chassis (front gas or diesel pusher), different tow bar systems, different braking systems.
The only constant seems to be that they are towing Jeep Cherokees. (In my Jeep the ESC icon is lit on the dash display.)
The Jeep dealers deny that the problem is with the Jeep.
This is a very dangerous problem. The only way to stop the rocking is to come to a complete stop where ever you are, and start over.

I have filed a complaint with the the National Department of Transportation.
If everyone who has this problem also does so, they will see that it isn't an isolated problem.

FYI I towed for over 8,000 miles before I experienced this. So, if you haven't, it doesn't mean that you are safe.

John

·
Registered
321 Posts
Huh. It is interesting. When we were in Oregon last year, we had ONE incident where the Jeep seemed to "sway" the motorhome badly. I even had a woman pull up next to me at a stop light telling me that our Jeep was kinda dancing. I thought the Jeep had a flat tire, stopped, checked everything incl. all connections but could find no issues. When we started pulling away - everything was back to normal again. Never had that issue since. Still cannot explain what had happened.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
@twoflyrodders
@ButWhatDoIKnow
@Carefree

It happened to my rig coming home from FL. Got off I-75 for a Cracker Barrel. Usually the roads to these are wide enough but in this case one wasn't. At about 5 mph the Cherokee front passenger wheel rolled over a curb on a right turn. The motorhome started shaking side-to-side an alarming amount considering its weight and chassis, and I could see the Cherokee jumping around in the rear camera. Thought I blew a tire on the MH and/or the Cherokee so I continued a short distance to get off the road. Checked everything out and all was fine, to my amazement. A guy in a pickup stopped and said he was behind me and saw that the Cherokee's wheels were oscillating left/right after the tire went over the curb.

After the complete stop, everything was fine and finished the journey putting on several hundred additional miles. That was in late May and the Cherokee has been steering fine at all speeds. And no wobble either.

I'm towing with a 43' diesel pusher with tag wheels. Blue Ox tow bar and base plates purchased last September. Everything is tight and tow bar is level when MH suspension is aired up.

So add me to the case file. One occurrence in 4,000 miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I unfortunately can be added to the list with this problem. Over the course of about 700 miles my 2015 TH did the dance twice, both times during a slow turn in which the road crossed a shallow drainage depression. Nothing like a curb or major dip, but I think a factor was that in both cases the depression was at an angle to the direction I was going. It would be a disaster if this occured while at highway speeds and crossing--say--a RR track at a angle to the roadway!

Russ

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
This is a serious problem and coordinated effort will be required to get action out of either the NHTSA or Chrysler. I would urge all who have experienced this to contact Chrysler and NHTSA. I have sixteen reports of this problem so far and Chrysler needs to address it... there is a great video of this occurring but I can't upload it here as it is in MP4. I will send an email to all I know of to try to get us on a common email list so we can better coordinate. Better yet please send me a private message here with your email address. Thanks, Bruce

·
Registered
633 Posts
This is a serious problem and coordinated effort will be required to get action out of either the NHTSA or Chrysler. I would urge all who have experienced this to contact Chrysler and NHTSA. I have sixteen reports of this problem so far and Chrysler needs to address it... there is a great video of this occurring but I can't upload it here as it is in MP4. I will send an email to all I know of to try to get us on a common email list so we can better coordinate. Better yet please send me a private message here with your email address. Thanks, Bruce
Can you post the video on Youtube or elsewhere? Then post the link here?

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
1 - 20 of 610 Posts