2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Longitude 2.0 automatic (9-speed) for over 2 years without any problems but recently it developed a fault. When driving on a motorway the engine warning light suddenly came on with a message saying ‘Service Transmission”. The car was still cruising ok but would not change gear and so when I left the motorway the car was extremely sluggish to move away from standstill as it was stuck in a high (presumably 9th) gear.

If I shift the gear selector to Park mode and then back to Drive mode the Service Transmission light goes out and the car dives normally, shifting up and down gear as it should, but the engine warning light stays on.

I took the car to a Jeep garage but they said they were unable to find the fault because the Service Transmission message was not active when they examined the car. The fault has reoccurred several times since but only seems to arise when driving at motorway speeds when the car is in a high gear. This puts me in an impossible position because I would be unable to drive the car to the Jeep garage in 9th gear but the garage say that they could only find the fault if the Service Transmission light is active.

I have seen on this forum that others had the same fault in recent years but there do not seem to be any recent posts about this issue. I am, therefore, hoping that a solution has been found and would really appreciate it is anyone can tell me how the fault can be rectified.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.
Search for "Transmission Service" and "Service Transmission" in the Search Community above.
There are lots of posts.
If the Check Engine light comes on and goes OFF the Jeep dealer should be able to read History Codes.
The Jeep dealer should also have made sure all applicable Recalls are "Complete".
Ask the Jeep dealer if there are any TSB's or STAR cases for your situation.
Have the Jeep dealer print the VIP report for your vehicle and review it with you.
Get the "battery health" tested for free somewhere, a weak battery can cause problems.

If the problem happens again manually shift to fourth gear, this seems to work better when the Jeep looses its mind.

Stay tuned, somebody should reply soon.
Post additional information about your Jeep, like mileage, age of the battery, etc. to help us better advise.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks Sanghill for your helpful reply. The mileage of the vehicle is currently 32,000 and the battery was replaced less than 2 years ago and so should be fine. I can't think of what more to say about the vehicle other than that it has been serviced regularly and, to date, has had no problems at all and we have been very pleased with it.

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
Many thanks Sanghill for your helpful reply. The mileage of the vehicle is currently 32,000 and the battery was replaced less than 2 years ago and so should be fine. I can't think of what more to say about the vehicle other than that it has been serviced regularly and, to date, has had no problems at all and we have been very pleased with it.
One suggestion: Set up an owners account with Jeep.com/owners or Mopar.com/owners. You need the Vin of your Jeep to complete the set up. This will allow you to pull all kinds of information on your 2015 including the complete owners manuals and vehicle history on recalls and service campaigns.
This change over may take a couple of days if the vehicles was registered to a prior owner. But when complete you will be the new registered owner and thus have up to date information on your Jeep Cherokee including complete ane uncomplete recalls ect..
If I remember correctly back on that 2014 and 2015 there was a crimping issue leading to a recall on the transmission communication cable of the Cherokee. It could be an occasional problem or more frequent depending on the wire crimp in the cable. There were instructions on how to reset the vehicle if it happens so you are not stalled out on the side of the road.
Basically shutting down and turning off power so everything resets. Then restarting.
It had more to do with the transmission shifting into neutral while driving but you never know. They basically changed the software to compensate for the crimping issue if it occurs.

Reactions: sanghill

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
That is very low mileage whether it is km or miles.
Since you don't drive much you should charge your battery once a week. I have found this to be necessary.
Get your battery tested per above, presumably it is an AGM battery.
Cherokee batteries usually don't last very long. I had a perfectly good AGM battery be at the end of its useful life in 2 years 6 months.
Need to definitely rule out the battery as a possible problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that - I will get the battery tested straight away to rule that out. The mileage is in miles and it is a low mileage for the year but that is because we do not normally drive long distances, although do use the car most days.

·
Registered
2018 Latitude+. 2.4 AD1
1,153 Posts
Short trips will kill your battery. Charge it up, and then get a load test. Make sure the tester is a newer electronic type that can print out the numbers, health, etc. the old carbon pile testers are insufficient these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
7,991 Posts
I see the OP is in the UK, and his Cherokee is equipped with the 2.0TDI. This may, or may not make a difference, but I would definitely start with the battery, and the fact that it is a diesel, it's probably actually a little harder on batteries than even all of our gas burners. That would definitely require a top shelf AGM battery for sure...😎

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have owned a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Longitude 2.0 automatic (9-speed) for over 2 years without any problems but recently it developed a fault. When driving on a motorway the engine warning light suddenly came on with a message saying ‘Service Transmission”. The car was still cruising ok but would not change gear and so when I left the motorway the car was extremely sluggish to move away from standstill as it was stuck in a high (presumably 9th) gear.

If I shift the gear selector to Park mode and then back to Drive mode the Service Transmission light goes out and the car dives normally, shifting up and down gear as it should, but the engine warning light stays on.

I took the car to a Jeep garage but they said they were unable to find the fault because the Service Transmission message was not active when they examined the car. The fault has reoccurred several times since but only seems to arise when driving at motorway speeds when the car is in a high gear. This puts me in an impossible position because I would be unable to drive the car to the Jeep garage in 9th gear but the garage say that they could only find the fault if the Service Transmission light is active.

I have seen on this forum that others had the same fault in recent years but there do not seem to be any recent posts about this issue. I am, therefore, hoping that a solution has been found and would really appreciate it is anyone can tell me how the fault can be rectified.
Hi! Did you ever figure out what was wrong? I just bought a 2015 Jeep Cherokee and the same thing is happening. It has 82,000 miles. Thank you!

·
Registered
2 Posts

Hey Bruce, I hope you’re well. I just wanted to reach out to see how you fixed this issue? I am having the same problem right now. I’m taking it to the Jeep dealership in the next week but wanted to see how you fixed the issue. Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts