2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Latitude FWD
162 Posts
Agreed...Lucky you, it saves you from having to push the stupid button everytime you get in the car. If mine quit working for any other reason besides the battery going south, it sure wouldn't be something I'd rush out and get fixed!!! LOL!!! Seriously though, sounds like you either don't drive it enough, or the battery is going south. Mine did that that too the whole first 14 months I had mine, apparently due to both above mentioned reasons. My original battery was junk, from the get go...😎
When you write that your battery was “junk” does that mean you had trouble starting the vehicle at times?

·
Registered
10,865 Posts
I've been dealing with this problem for some time. Trying to figure out why. Had battery changed twice. IBS once. Battery now lives on maintainer (kinda like life support) and still I get this from time to time. I even paid another dealer to get second opinion on the matter but no progress. I'm convinced that my Jeep is possessed and need an exorcism. The good news is that it doesn't seem to affect performance so I keep my fingers crossed each time I drive it.
Just curious : where did you buy the replacement batteries ? We have limited options in Canada and I'm always curious to see where folks buy their KL batteries.

By 'from time to time', do you mean ESS works most of the time ? If so, that could all be fairly normal..

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
4,938 Posts
When you write that your battery was “junk” does that mean you had trouble starting the vehicle at times?
No, not until the end. It cranked, but very slowly that last day. Replaced under warranty at 14 months old...Replacement has been fine so far, but I'll probably be changing it out soon before winter sets in with a brand new X2 Power...😎

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
Who makes the OEM batteries? Thought it was Johnson Controls?

·
Registered
10,865 Posts
Who makes the OEM batteries? Thought it was Johnson Controls?
Yes JC makes them. They've changed names now, but it's easeir to call them JC. All the lead-calcium 94R/H7 AGMs sold out there are the same battery, with different labels. Premium AGMs are made by Northstar/Odyssey (X2 Power label is Northstar).

·
Registered
803 Posts
East Penn also makes the Duracell batteries that Batteries Plus sells for our Cherokees.

·
Registered
10,865 Posts
Mine was a Deka aka East Penn Manufacturing Co. View attachment 216794
That's right. Johnson Controls is the major player in a big battery consortium. The 94R is one product of this consortium, sold under different labels.

Just for kicks, compare the specs on that one vs what East Penn shows for their label (94R) :

This is the East Penn 94R here : Intimidator 9A94R Group 94R AGM Battery

They are all the same... The OEM one only sports 700CCA, so either they lowballed the specs, or FCA ordered a cheaper/lesser version from the consortium. Case is identical.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
803 Posts
That's right. Johnson Controls is the major player in a big battery consortium. The 94R is one product of this consortium, sold under different labels.

Just for kicks, compare the specs on that one vs what East Penn shows for their label (94R) :

This is the East Penn 94R here : Intimidator 9A94R Group 94R AGM Battery

They are all the same... The OEM one only sports 700CCA, so either they lowballed the specs, or FCA ordered a cheaper/lesser version from the consortium. Case is identical.
You talk about a consortium, but I still think it is accurate to state that East Penn and Exide have their own manufacturing facilities, separate from JC, so I'm not sure why you seem to call them all JC batteries? Or at least in this case the East Penn batteries as I'm not sure if Exide even makes batteries for our Cherokees. And if I'm misinterpreting your posts please let me know.

Anyway, even if they make them to the same specs, a battery made in one plant may not have the same quality control as another and therefore could have a higher failure rate.

I mention failure rates because many years ago I gave up on Exide batteries because every one that I bought died completely after a year and a half. Sure, I got a new one on the warranty, but like clockwork the next one also died a little over a year later...and this was back in the days before cars became so computerized. Since then I've only bought batteries made by JC and East Penn and I've always gotten years of usage out of them.

·
Registered
10,865 Posts
You talk about a consortium, but I still think it is accurate to state that East Penn and Exide have their own manufacturing facilities, separate from JC, so I'm not sure why you seem to call them all JC batteries? Or at least in this case the East Penn batteries as I'm not sure if Exide even makes batteries for our Cherokees. And if I'm misinterpreting your posts please let me know.

Anyway, even if they make them to the same specs, a battery made in one plant may not have the same quality control as another and therefore could have a higher failure rate.

I mention failure rates because many years ago I gave up on Exide batteries because every one that I bought died completely after a year and a half. Sure, I got a new one on the warranty, but like clockwork the next one also died a little over a year later...and this was back in the days before cars became so computerized. Since then I've only bought batteries made by JC and East Penn and I've always gotten years of usage out of them.
I can't prove the consortium exists. Johnson Controls had a website up for this consortium up until a few years ago. I remember going back to look for it a while ago and it had vanished. All the known big manufaturers were onboard (East Penn, Exide, Interstate, AC Delco included). The goal was to pool resources, for some batteries, and the 94Rs were certainly one of them. These manufacturers produce all the known labels : Exide, Energizer, Duracell, Duralast Platinum, DieHard Gold, Bosch Platinum, Mopar, Motorcraft, EverStart Platinum, etc... etc...

No Exide for our Jeeps ? Sure there's one, though it went MIA for years, think it's back now. And it's the same as all the others :

A few years ago it was known as the Exide Edge : Exide Edge Flat Plate AGM Battery - FP-AGML4-94R - Battery Pete

How many plants produce these clones ? No idea, probably a few.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just curious : where did you buy the replacement batteries ? We have limited options in Canada and I'm always curious to see where folks buy their KL batteries.

By 'from time to time', do you mean ESS works most of the time ? If so, that could all be fairly normal..
These batteries were replaced at dealer. One at my expense the other under warranty. The Service ESS warning light appears from time to time even after all the measures I take to keep battery healthy. ESS will work from time to time but not after the illumination of the Service warning, so I can not conclude that ESS works most of the time.

·
Registered
10,865 Posts
These batteries were replaced at dealer. One at my expense the other under warranty. The Service ESS warning light appears from time to time even after all the measures I take to keep battery healthy. ESS will work from time to time but not after the illumination of the Service warning, so I can not conclude that ESS works most of the time.
Got it. 'Service Stop/Start' is one those mystery conditions. Most likely not battery related. Maybe IBS, maybe other sensors.

As long as there are no other problems, it's not a critical situation. One member recently posted getting it, only to realize it was the hood sensor. Go figure...

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
432 Posts
Got it. 'Service Stop/Start' is one those mystery conditions. Most likely not battery related. Maybe IBS, maybe other sensors.

As long as there are no other problems, it's not a critical situation. One member recently posted getting it, only to realize it was the hood sensor. Go figure...
If it says not available charging battery, then its usually the battery. I'm not sure what all level of details other models have, but on mine, it will tell me why. For example, climate control, engine too cold, seatbelt not on, etc.

·
Registered
10,865 Posts
If it says not available charging battery, then its usually the battery. I'm not sure what all level of details other models have, but on mine, it will tell me why. For example, climate control, engine too cold, seatbelt not on, etc.
Agreed. Usually, the condition is spelled out. But we've seen it just show 'Not Ready', no other details. That... is not so easy to t-shoot but is often a benign condition Then you have the one where it says 'Service Stop/Start', no other explanation... which can be difficult to figure out.

·
Registered
2019 Cherokee Trailhawk. 2021 Cherokee latitude Freedom edition.
1 Posts
My 19 trailhawk shows the original problem that started this discussion all the time. Happens when I meet a semi or when I drive above 70 mph. You can literally see the hood shake a little and it shuts the start/stop down. It doesn't cause any problems except throw that stupid message. The dealership said mine isn't the only trailhawk they have had do this. What's weird is my 21 latitude doesn't do it and I measured it compared to my trailhawk and everything is set the same. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️. Also I work for Deka aka East Penn manufacturing in one of their battery plants.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
62 Posts
Even daily, short trips around town, aren't enough, for whatever reason, to maintain a proper charge on these things. Unless off course, you have a big, bad X2 Power installed under the hood...LOL!!!😉😎

I don't know about that. I got my TH in June and only drive about 14 miles a day and the Start Stop has been working fine. I've got just a little over 2100 miles on her now. The only time I turn it off is when I know I'm going to deal with a lot of traffic lights.

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
My 19 trailhawk shows the original problem that started this discussion all the time. Happens when I meet a semi or when I drive above 70 mph. You can literally see the hood shake a little and it shuts the start/stop down. It doesn't cause any problems except throw that stupid message. The dealership said mine isn't the only trailhawk they have had do this. What's weird is my 21 latitude doesn't do it and I measured it compared to my trailhawk and everything is set the same. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️. Also I work for Deka aka East Penn manufacturing in one of their battery plants.
Hood shake has been reported on here a bunch of times on the 2019's.
There are 6 (3 per side) bump stops that need to be adjusted to correct
the problem. Easy enough to do at home.

Reactions: 1coopgt61

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
4,938 Posts
I think most of it is because the hood is aluminum, so it will flex and flutter a bit under certain conditions...😎

21 - 40 of 43 Posts