2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just FYI, this is probably a very uncommon thing, but I was driving and got a message in the instrument cluster stating that there is a problem with the auto start stop system and is accompanied by a warning light illuminating an "A".

Turns out I had the front hood not completely closed, so when I closed the hood completely, the warning light went off. Just putting this out there in case anyone else sees this stop/start warning light, might be because the front hood isn't completely shut.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Latitude FWD
162 Posts
Just FYI, this is probably a very uncommon thing, but I was driving and got a message in the instrument cluster stating that there is a problem with the auto start stop system and is accompanied by a warning light illuminating an "A".

Turns out I had the front hood not completely closed, so when I closed the hood completely, the warning light went off. Just putting this out there in case anyone else sees this stop/start warning light, might be because the front hood isn't completely shut.
The auto-stop feature is the most annoying feature on any vehicle. I don't want to jinx myself here but since I got my new '21 in June the feature has never come on or been active at any point.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
4,953 Posts
The auto-stop feature is the most annoying feature on any vehicle. I don't want to jinx myself here but since I got my new '21 in June the feature has never come on or been active at any point.
Agreed...Lucky you, it saves you from having to push the stupid button everytime you get in the car. If mine quit working for any other reason besides the battery going south, it sure wouldn't be something I'd rush out and get fixed!!! LOL!!! Seriously though, sounds like you either don't drive it enough, or the battery is going south. Mine did that that too the whole first 14 months I had mine, apparently due to both above mentioned reasons. My original battery was junk, from the get go...😎

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
Agreed...Lucky you, it saves you from having to push the stupid button everytime you get in the car. If mine quit working for any other reason besides the battery going south, it sure wouldn't be something I'd rush out and get fixed!!! LOL!!! Seriously though, sounds like you either don't drive it enough, or the battery is going south. Mine did that that too the whole first 14 months I had mine, apparently due to both above mentioned reasons. My original battery was junk, from the get go...😎
That's what mine did as well! No other signs of the battery failing, just no
SS! I was happy with that, and they only replaced the battery when I went
in for an oil change! I wish they would have left it alone.. LOL

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
433 Posts
You could always turn off in alfa or get a stop start eliminator if it gets too annoying. I'm fighting with mine right now. Not because its working, but because its not working. I have the X2, and its less than a year old, so trying to figure out if its from luck of the draw on a bad battery, phantom draw, to making a few short trips each day and not driving enough.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
2021 Latitude FWD
162 Posts
I liked the way the “feature” worked in my GMs. After the first week or so of turning it off immediately after starting the car it went to a default off state on every start up. It never came back on.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
You have a 2021 under warranty, I would have this investigated. Or, wait it out but get it looked at before your 3/36 warranty expires.
-
-
-
====
You could always turn off in alfa or get a stop start eliminator if it gets too annoying. I'm fighting with mine right now. Not because its working, but because its not working. I have the X2, and its less than a year old, so trying to figure out if its from luck of the draw on a bad battery, phantom draw, to making a few short trips each day and not driving enough.
An easy t-shoot here would be to charge the battery overnight, a little longer if you only have say a 1-Amp charger. If ESS comes back, then you'll know you need to look after that battery on a regular basis.

Do you get 'Stop/Start not available Battery charging' ?

Reactions: 1coopgt61

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
I liked the way the “feature” worked in my GMs. After the first week or so of turning it off immediately after starting the car it went to a default off state on every start up. It never came back on.
Wait, it went into default off on the Jeep or the GM???

·
Registered
2021 Latitude FWD
162 Posts
Wait, it went into default off on the Jeep or the GM???
The Chevy went into a default off state. On my ‘21 Cherokee it has never activated. I’ve had it since June 11th of this year and have almost 1,800 miles on it

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
The Chevy went into a default off state. On my ‘21 Cherokee it has never activated. I’ve had it since June 11th of this year and have almost 1,800 miles on it
What's the error message in the center display, about ESS not working ?

·
Registered
2021 Latitude FWD
162 Posts
What's the error message in the center display, about ESS not working ?
While driving there has never been one. I can't go for a drive today because I'm still in quarantine (until Saturday morning) but in the past I have left the display up while driving and it just simply states that it's not ready. Just now with the vehicle running in the driveway with the seatbelt on, A/C not on max, Jeep in "P" "R" or "D" this is what I get:
Communication Device Gadget Output device Mobile device Font

Key On, Engine Off my battery reports as 12.6V with a red battery icon:
Font Material property Audio equipment Gas Motor vehicle

Running at idle the battery is 13.9V

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
While driving there has never been one. I can't go for a drive today because I'm still in quarantine (until Saturday morning) but in the past I have left the display up while driving and it just simply states that it's not ready. Just now with the vehicle running in the driveway with the seatbelt on, A/C not on max, Jeep in "P" "R" or "D" this is what I get:
View attachment 216768

View attachment 216769

At idle the battery is 13.9 with engine running.
Just for $*#ts and giggles, try putting it on a charger overnight, and see what happens. If that's a healthy battery, the ESS should start working. I think you just don't drive it enough. Even daily, short trips around town, aren't enough, for whatever reason, to maintain a proper charge on these things. Unless off course, you have a big, bad X2 Power installed under the hood...LOL!!!😉😎

·
Registered
2021 Latitude FWD
162 Posts
Just for $*#ts and giggles, try putting it on a charger overnight, and see what happens. If that's a healthy battery, the ESS should start working. I think you just don't drive it enough. Even daily, short trips around town, aren't enough, for whatever reason, to maintain a proper charge on these things. Unless off course, you have a big, bad X2 Power installed under the hood...LOL!!!😉😎
Naw, I just have the stock OEM battery. I really don’t want to turn the AS on 😀 I have a jump box\charger still in the package that I can open up this evening and charge. Tomorrow when I'm "working from home" I can try it :) IDK, 12.6 at key on/engine off seems optimal to me. I really don't want it to work :LOL: LOL

"Work was brutal, I had to push the button on and off five times."
-George Jetson

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
View attachment 216768

View attachment 216769

Running at idle the battery is 13.9V
Yeah 12.6V engine Off is fine.

Now about that message. Nothing to sink our teeth into, just a generic 'Not ready'. Mine does that from time to time, but my ESS works virtually all the time. I think I recall getting that 'Not ready' when, for instance, I'm in stop-and-go traffic, get an ESS stop, then inch forward (below 5 mph) and stop : in that particular scenario, ESS says 'Not ready' because you haven't gotten up to 5 mph+, required to re-enable ESS after one engine stop.
So next time you're out driving, see if you can get a different message. To see those messages you of course need to scroll down the center display menus until you get to the ESS specific screen.

Edit to add : Ok now I know why you had that 'Not ready' onscreen : you were in Park lol. ESS only works when in Drive and when moving, haha.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
I think I recall getting that 'Not ready' when, for instance, I'm in stop-and-go traffic, get an ESS stop, then inch forward (below 5 mph) and stop : in that particular scenario,
Mine does work in stop and go traffic like that, and it's really annoying. Even a quick stop and go at a stop sign. It doesn't even completely shut off before it's starting back up. That can't be good for the starter. Still not sold on the benefits of this feature...😎

·
Registered
2020 Cherokee Trailhawk
1 Posts
I just unplugged the sensor at the battery. Then plug it back in when I go in for service so they don't nag at me.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
I just unplugged the sensor at the battery. Then plug it back in when I go in for service so they don't nag at me.
Does that not cause any alerts, or warning messages???😎

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've been dealing with this problem for some time. Trying to figure out why. Had battery changed twice. IBS once. Battery now lives on maintainer (kinda like life support) and still I get this from time to time. I even paid another dealer to get second opinion on the matter but no progress. I'm convinced that my Jeep is possessed and need an exorcism. The good news is that it doesn't seem to affect performance so I keep my fingers crossed each time I drive it.

·
Registered
2021 Latitude FWD
162 Posts

So the only notification that you received that your hood was open was that? Then you had to figure out what it meant yourself?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts