2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the title says, I can't find the port for the block heater on a 2014 3.2.

Don't tell me "mine came with it" just like 90% of the other block heater posts on here. It's not helpful unless you can actually tell me where the physical block heater is. Not the cord, the heating cartridge.

If you don't know, you don't know.

Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I figured it out. Posting this for future reference since it's not here anywhere. The maintenance manual shows a picture of a RWD pentastar engine in the diagram with RWD transmission attached. It claims the port is near the bell housing on the back side of the engine. It's not there. There isn't even any ports there.

Also, I'll never ever be doing this as there's so much work involved for minimal return.

The alternator, A/C pump w/mount, accessory belt, and inner fender liner all need to be removed to gain access.

See attached.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Automotive design

·
Registered
2015 AD2 Latitude, 3.2
542 Posts
I know for 2015 the 3.2 only came with the block heater when you got the Cold Weather Group , it was not a standard item with the 3.2. The 2014 models started out differently it wasn’t in the cold weather group, but I would think it was an option somehow not standard.

·
Registered
10,682 Posts
I know for 2015 the 3.2 only came with the block heater when you got the Cold Weather Group , it was not a standard item with the 3.2. The 2014 models started out differently it wasn’t in the cold weather group, but I would think it was an option somehow not standard.
Yep, 2014 Cold Weather Group did not come with the block heater, which was a separate option. I just don't know if it was optional only with the Cold Weather package, or a completely separate option, but anyway...

A difficult install for sure. Perhaps look into a pad heater ? Stick it on the oil pan.

·
Registered
10,682 Posts
That don't help at all. That's the picture I was talking about in post #1. It's wrong and FCA knows it.
He was just supplying you with the part #. But installing that is a pain, as you've noted.

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
1,289 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Ahhh, just read you were saying "PORT", I read "part".

Easiest way would be to look at a Cherokee that has it, or order the online factory shop manual access. You can subscribe for as little as a day. :cool:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I wonder if it is just as bad on the turbo?

·
Registered
2015 AD2 Latitude, 3.2
542 Posts
Yep, 2014 Cold Weather Group did not come with the block heater, which was a separate option. I just don't know if it was optional only with the Cold Weather package, or a completely separate option, but anyway...

A difficult install for sure. Perhaps look into a pad heater ? Stick it on the oil pan.
Thanks Mark, you also confirmed that the 3.2 didn’t come with it installed and all he had to do was just find it to use it.

The Jeep dealer put a heater in one of the heater hoses on the 2008 Liberty we used to have, cause they said the factory heaters weren’t that good. We don’t have the vehicle anymore ( regretfully) to post a picture.

·
Registered
2015 AD2 Latitude, 3.2
542 Posts
Drawing similar to what the Liberty had, still need to tap into and engine coolant drain somewhere, and the heater hoses.

Motor vehicle Font Line Parallel Rectangle

·
Registered
10,682 Posts
I've owned 2 Libertys, both had factory block heaters, and I can say with confidence they were very adequate. Yes hose heaters are an option, not sure how easy an install on a KL would be though. Pad heaters are not the best, but pretty sure they'll do, with an easy install.

Reactions: osimj

·
Registered
2015 AD2 Latitude, 3.2
542 Posts
I've owned 2 Libertys, both had factory block heaters, and I can say with confidence they were very adequate. Yes hose heaters are an option, not sure how easy an install on a KL would be though. Pad heaters are not the best, but pretty sure they'll do, with an easy install.
They probably just said that about the factory one cause they had the hose heater in stock, worked great for years with no problems.
Figured I would show that option to the OP and he could figure out if that would work easier then the factory option. 😎

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
They probably just said that about the factory one cause they had the hose heater in stock, worked great for years with no problems.
Figured I would show that option to the OP and he could figure out if that would work easier then the factory option. 😎
Kat's has a pretty good description of all the types here: Kat's
Seems like the OEM block or the recirculating pump types are the way to go (in that order).
Growing up in upstate NY/VT, I remember the days when the semis and buses (diesel) would be left idling overnight to stay warm. But that was in the days of cheap fuel and no emissions restrictions!
Down here in the south, I have little need for one. But I am shopping for a house up in the St. Lawrence River/Lake Champlain areas (NY/ON/PQ), so, interested. :cool:

Reactions: Mark_

·
Registered
10,682 Posts
Kat's has a pretty good description of all the types here: Kat's
Seems like the OEM block or the recirculating pump types are the way to go (in that order).
Growing up in upstate NY/VT, I remember the days when the semis and buses (diesel) would be left idling overnight to stay warm. But that was in the days of cheap fuel and no emissions restrictions!
Down here in the south, I have little need for one. But I am shopping for a house up in the St. Lawrence River/Lake Champlain areas (NY/ON/PQ), so, interested. :cool:
Make sure you consider property altitude around Lake Champlain (ie above lake level), it's a notorious area for spring floodings.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Reactions: Flybynightcru
1 - 17 of 17 Posts