2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk (with about 215K in the odometer) threw a P219B.

O2 sensor replaced under my unlimited/lifetime MaxCare warranty.

MIL came back on in less than a day. Same code.

Did compression tests and scoped the cylinders. Found scoring. Looks like I’ll need a new long block.

Waiting for FCA to get back to the dealership this morning on the warranty question.

What are my odds?

-Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hey Burton, Love the milage. Great chance lifetime Max care picks it up. They picked up my engine replacement and radiator a few months back. I did not have nearly the milage you have, but I'd bet the odds are in your favor. My neighbor has a Chryrslor 300 with the Lifetime max and now has over 300k miles, has had two engine replacements paid by the warranty.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, here’s how it goes...

Chrysler won’t authorize engine replacements until a factory tech comes out and verifies the mechanic’s diagnosis. The cynic in me suspects that this is to look for reasons to deny coverage. Fortunately, I have kept meticulous maintenance records and have followed the maintenance schedule to the letter. I will print off the documentation and take it to the dealer on Monday so they have it for the Chrysler tech to review.

I had to pre-authorize $574 worth of labor to take the head off before they’d start the process with Chrysler. Obviously, that’s all covered if the claim is covered. Otherwise, that’s a lot of labor for a partial tear down of the engine, IMO.

The Chrysler tech will take 48-72 hours to get to the dealership and after that, it will take 3-5 days to get a new engine. I’d suspect at least another couple of days to do the swap. So, if all goes smoothly, I’ll be in the rental until at least the end of the month at this point.

If I can get a new engine at 215K, I’ll be golden. If I have to pay for it, I’ll sue Chrysler for breach of contract. Either way, I’m looking forward to keeping my Trailhawk for several more years.

As for the question about how it’s been other than this? I’ve had a couple of bad ignition coils, the entire evap system, a rear axle, master cylinder, the uconnnect head unit, and a few other not-cheap parts covered under the warranty. It’s already more than paid for itself, which is probably why they don’t sell it anymore.

I love my Trailhawk, but without the lifetime/unlimited miles warranty, I’ll never be able to afford to own another FCA product, I think.

-Rob

·
Registered
281 Posts
Pre-authorize $574, Thats great. I had to pre-authorize $2000.00. Same scenario, partial break down of engine, Tech comes out, 9 weeks later, the project was completed and covered. Good luck.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pre-authorize $574, Thats great. I had to pre-authorize $2000.00. Same scenario, partial break down of engine, Tech comes out, 9 weeks later, the project was completed and covered. Good luck.
9 weeks?!?! What the hell took so long?

My tech said 3-5 days to get the engine once Chrysler says go and then a few more to do the swap. I’m hoping to have my Cherokee back the week after next if all goes to plan...

-Rob

·
Registered
158 Posts
That's a long wait. My engine was replaced under warranty, the already had a long block in stock. Dropped cst off little after 4pm and had it back around 3pm the next day.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE: 12 days later and the Chrysler rep finally gets out to my dealer today. Inspects the cylinders, sees the damage, calls FCA HQ for authorization.

FCA HQ says he has to inspect the pistons. More tear down is necessary. Mechanic is doing the tear down this evening and the rep will be back in the morning. Hopefully, there won’t be any shenanigans and I’ll get my engine.

I’ll let you all know.

-Rob

·
Registered
960 Posts
What a load of crap they are putting you through! You bought the warranty, maintained it with documentation. What next? Will they say repair cost's exceed vehicle value? Lifetime Warranty used to be the "Golden Ticket". Sorry to see that's not the case anymore. I hope this get's resolved for you.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So... just spoke w/ my service advisor. Chrysler rep never came back on Friday. They haven't seen him this morning (and they're waiting for him to look at TWO vehicles now, including mine). I made a quip about FCA not trusting their own factory-trained mechanics and the service advisor told me that this guy isn't even an FCA employee. They farm out this double-inspection work to a third party vendor!

@JeepCares ... anything you can do to help speed things along here? We're going on three weeks now!!!

-Rob

·
Registered
281 Posts
9 weeks?!?! What the hell took so long?

My tech said 3-5 days to get the engine once Chrysler says go and then a few more to do the swap. I’m hoping to have my Cherokee back the week after next if all goes to plan...

-Rob

Looks like Burton RW is finding out, first hand, why my engine replacement took 9 weeks. Same scenario, waiting for breakdown, then weeks for inspection and a few additional weeks for the MaxCare to Approve. Jeep picked up the rental and loaner for the 9 weeks, that helped take the sting out of it..

·
FCA Customer Support Group
1,401 Posts
So... just spoke w/ my service advisor. Chrysler rep never came back on Friday. They haven't seen him this morning (and they're waiting for him to look at TWO vehicles now, including mine). I made a quip about FCA not trusting their own factory-trained mechanics and the service advisor told me that this guy isn't even an FCA employee. They farm out this double-inspection work to a third party vendor!

@JeepCares ... anything you can do to help speed things along here? We're going on three weeks now!!!

-Rob
Hi Rob, thank you for bringing this to our attention. Due to the mileage of your vehicle, our team will no longer be in the best position to assist you. We recommend contacting Mopar Vehicle Protection (MVP) for verification on coverage for your concerns: 800-521-9922.

Kathryn
JeepCares

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good news! The non-Chrysler Chrysler tech finally came back and Chrysler finally got around to authorizing a new engine.

I should have my Trailhawk back with a brand new power plant on Tuesday. Wonder if it will have that “new car feel” at all...

-Rob

·
Registered
913 Posts
Good news! The non-Chrysler Chrysler tech finally came back and Chrysler finally got around to authorizing a new engine.

I should have my Trailhawk back with a brand new power plant on Tuesday. Wonder if it will have that “new car feel” at all...

-Rob

That's awesome!!! Free is good!!!

Reactions: Desoto
1 - 14 of 14 Posts