2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

Registered
I was just waiting for the mention of just exactly which SUV/CUV's from any manufacturer are actually more capable than even ADI equipped Cherokee, and JL's and JLU's don't count, because I don't consider them to be in the SUV/CUV category, they're Wranglers. I'd put Hummers in that category as well. Really, what is there, maybe the 4Runner, and that's only because they have substantially more ground clearance, and they're body on frame design. Even Subaru is jumping on the Trailhawk bandwagon with their Wilderness Edition Outback, and Forrester. I don't know if they're actually any more capable than the regular models, but they sure are trying to look like Trailhawks, right down to the mat black hood decal. Really, what else is there? I'll throw the Bronco Sport in there as comparable, but the full size Bronco, I'm throwing it the same category as the Wrangler. The Cherokee is a very capable compact SUV, with literally no competition in the offroad department...馃槑
Huh? He was saying that HIS Cherokee will never go off-road, much like mine, much like most people who buy them. He wasn't saying that it wasn't a capable off-road vehicle.

Reactions: jimc

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
Huh? He was saying that HIS Cherokee will never go off-road, much like mine, much like most people who buy them. He wasn't saying that it wasn't a capable off-road vehicle.
My rebuttal to the fact that he said 95% of all SUV/CUV owners will never go offroad, like yourself, was the fact that most SUV/CUV's aren't capable of going offroad, which is true. That was me rebuttaling his statement about only Trailhawks are really capable of going offroad, and the rest of the trim levels are somehow not...馃槑

Registered
So which post of yours is true, above you say you鈥檝e been going offroad for 30 years, the link below in post #11 which you also just recently posted says your like 95% of suv owners and you don鈥檛 go off-road . Seeing 2 opposite posts by you at the same time makes me wonder about your advice.

The Jeep doesn't go off road. This and a number of pickups before it do. I also said like 95% of the SUV owners IT won't go off road.

The Cherokee was purchased for my wife. She had a 14 Dodge Dart that was totalled in a deer altercation. She wanted something larger than the Dart but smaller than the Grand Cherokee she had as a rental. There we're a number of compact SUVs that would fit the bill. The Cherokee was chosen because of the Spitfire Orange color and the sales person was the first one that actually listened to what she wanted. It was not purchased with any expectation that it would be used off road.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
The Jeep doesn't go off road. This and a number of pickups before it do.

The Cherokee was purchased for my wife. She had a 14 Dodge Dart that was totalled in a deer altercation. She wanted something larger than the Dart but smaller than the Grand Cherokee she had as a rental. It was not purchased with any expectation that it would be used off road.

But, it could if you or she ever needed to, much better than the 95% of the other SUV/CUV's out there. That's all I was trying to point out...馃槑

Registered
I am quite sure it would do ok, the biggest issue on soft sand is going to be ground clearance.

As far as it being better than other compact SUV off road you are going to have to explain that to me.

My brother is on his third Escape, my sister had a Tuscon, and two of my wife's sisters have a CrV and a RAV4. The 3.2 V6 in my wife's Cherokee has more power but I don't see where a Cherokee with AD1 is really any different than any of these as far as it's off road capabilities. They are all FWD based with a PDU that routes power to the rear axle where the computer controls power distribution and they all have driving modes.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I don't see where a Cherokee with AD1 is really any different than any of these as far as it's off road capabilities. They are all FWD based with a PDU that routes power to the rear axle where the computer controls power distribution and they all have driving modes.
The physical part is true (FWD-based with PDU and computer-based traction control modes). The computers are programmed differently, giving different capabilities. Look up youtube videos with tests on rollers. Some of those like the CRV can't even pull off a 3-roller setup. Some require 10+ seconds of wheelspin to push enough torque to the single wheel on the tarmac, and some like the Cherokee (even AD1) and Subarus pull off easily with very little wheelspin. And most of the other SUV/CUVs don't have hill descent control either, which can be very useful offroad on these primarily street-oriented SUVs.

And obviously the low range with AD2 is much more capable, and AD2 comes on more than just the Trailhawk. Still, I agree that if you want to do relatively serious off-roading the better approach angles and locking rear diff of the Trailhawk give it a lot more capability, and even then you should probably install rock guards at a minimum.

Premium Member
All Cherokees with 4x4, whether its ADI/ADII or AD-Lock like on the TH all have identical functioning AWD programming.

If you aren't in 4x4 low the AWD performance is identical among all models.

The DTCM is not programmed differently on Cherokees unless they have 4x4-low but the performance outside of 4x4 low is the same.

Registered
I have a friend with a 2014 Trailhawk coming to visit in a couple weeks and we'll be heading out on the beach. I don't think she's ever used the 4WD Low function. 4WD Low is not necessary to drive on the beach but it is nicer.

On my 2018 Overland I use it regularly. I also need transfer case neutral sometimes for flat towing behind the RV so I like to make sure the transfer case switching works.

So given the talk about PTU failures, I'm kind of hesitant to have her use 4WD Low for possibly the first time ever. She said all recalls were done but I'm pretty sure her Jeep is over 100K miles. So what do people think? Is the 4WD Low something that should be used consistently or not at all?

BTW, is the PTU the transfer case? If so, it seems like non-ADII also have PTU failures. Is the failure mode not related to the hi-lo gear switching mechanism?

Pic of Gypsie for attention...last couple times out I haven't even needed to air down!

View attachment 217858
Good puppies! I鈥檓 a dog fan! Our cream Labrador is awsome! This pup looks like it鈥檚 having fun! Along with there TH owners! Happy Jeeping 馃槂

21 - 28 of 28 Posts