2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Only appears to be on this door. Wondering now if there was a previous sealing issue/still is one and is just now presenting itself
because the doors would be assembled sep the car, I would Presume that the problem should be isolated unless somehow it happned entirely beyond the factory(which if its all up the seam, id say not likely to be isolated from the factory)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
faulty factory installation? previous repaired sealing issue and the door was never examined? i feel pretty confident i can rule out an undisclosed accident bc there are consistent signs of wear on the door like all the doors, nothing looks freshly painted, the micro-scratches in the clear coat from car wash brushes are evenly disbursed on the outside, etc. the carfax was bought and sold in aurora colorado for a 36-month lease, oil changes every 6,000 miles, maintenance on schedule. minus this one issue, it was very well taken care of. I'll probably attempt to fix it myself and monitor for any further problems. thankfully, i do have the warranty and this particular dealership has been incredible in taking care of me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I am well aware of the picture and have eyes, I understand english as well. Your statement is now, given that context, no meaning . But after re reading I thought to myself it was interestinig its aqlong the seam, and another user said seat belt. I think its possible SOMETHIGN like coat zippers, seat belt, etc.. could have gotten pinched and that seam is where they went from moving away along the paint to where they gouged. Just more idea. if the seam itself has any issues or you are close to it, I would almost wonder if prime and use a seam sealer to cover the area wouldnt be the wisest as far as protecting the transition.
what if someone got the seat belt stuck in the seal and didn't notice for months and thus allowed the moisture in?

·
FCA Customer Support Group
1,501 Posts
Purchased a beautiful used 2019 KL in fire cracker red. I’ve had the car for a month and just discovered some extremely concerning rust and erosion along the interior seam of the back door. There is visible damage to the paint and you can see bubbles underneath. I looked for obvious signs of previous body work done and couldn’t see anything. I’m pretty upset, the car is barely 3 years old. Should i try and repair it myself, by sanding down the rust and applying touch up paint? Is this going to affect the entirety of the car?
Hello, Reinaddms17. Our team here recommends a visit to your preferred Jeep dealership so a technician can take a look at this. If you need support while there, let us know.

Kate
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
UPDATE:
Currently raining in CO. Out of curiosity I decided to check the seal and see if it was wet. Sure enough, it is. I checked the other back door and the seal was also wet. Seems like a manufacturing defect. Gonna take it in to the dealer and have them look into it further. For anyone else who has a KL and experiencing this issue, see how it reacts in the rain, or a car wash. I’m interested to hear the responses on this one. Could be a recall issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Check the rubber weather stripping on the rear of the door frame.
Make sure it is sealing well. If it is removed you should not reuse it, the spring tension will be lost.
I put sealing compound in the seal groove and on the steel door opening so it won't rust.
My theory is if this seal is not working correctly it may allow the door itself to rust.
I extended the seal to fill the gap at the top, that is what all of grey sealing compound is for.
This may or may not mean anything, just a guess. View attachment 220863
This was super helpful. It turns out there is a problem with the door sealing and is occuring on both back doors.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Purchased a beautiful used 2019 KL in fire cracker red. I’ve had the car for a month and just discovered some extremely concerning rust and erosion along the interior seam of the back door. There is visible damage to the paint and you can see bubbles underneath. I looked for obvious signs of previous body work done and couldn’t see anything. I’m pretty upset, the car is barely 3 years old. Should i try and repair it myself, by sanding down the rust and applying touch up paint? Is this going to affect the entirety of the car?

Had the same this year, but mine is a 2014 Trailhawk seeing winters in New England. Guess is that weep hole in door wasn't clearing out moisture sufficiently so rust settled in. Caught it before rust spread from the inner seam to an outer surface. Sanded to clean metal with Dremel tool grinder, primer and paint. Doubt its a permanent fix, but should last for a while.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts