2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a beautiful used 2019 KL in fire cracker red. I’ve had the car for a month and just discovered some extremely concerning rust and erosion along the interior seam of the back door. There is visible damage to the paint and you can see bubbles underneath. I looked for obvious signs of previous body work done and couldn’t see anything. I’m pretty upset, the car is barely 3 years old. Should i try and repair it myself, by sanding down the rust and applying touch up paint? Is this going to affect the entirety of the car?

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
7,991 Posts
Purchased a beautiful used 2019 KL in fire cracker red. I’ve had the car for a month and just discovered some extremely concerning rust and erosion along the interior seam of the back door. There is visible damage to the paint and you can see bubbles underneath. I looked for obvious signs of previous body work done and couldn’t see anything. I’m pretty upset, the car is barely 3 years old. Should i try and repair it myself, by sanding down the rust and applying touch up paint? Is this going to affect the entirety of the car?
Welcome from Utah...You might want to run a vehicle report on your car. That looks like signs of piss poor damage repair to me, but I'm not an expert. Never seen anything like that on my 2019...😎

·
Registered
137 Posts
if the doors still hinge and latch and the catch isnt worn a lot on the lower side
then your doors are not theproblem unless your door isdisordted heaavily(doesnt appear to be)

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Check the rubber weather stripping on the rear of the door frame.
Make sure it is sealing well. If it is removed you should not reuse it, the spring tension will be lost.
I put sealing compound in the seal groove and on the steel door opening so it won't rust.
My theory is if this seal is not working correctly it may allow the door itself to rust.
I extended the seal to fill the gap at the top, that is what all of grey sealing compound is for.
This may or may not mean anything, just a guess.
Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Tread

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
1,154 Posts
If it were me, I would just lightly sand all the lose paint off. Then get a touch up paint pen and paint back over that spot. It will hardly be noticeable. I agree, it looks like someone hit it with something and just scratched off the paint.

Reactions: Reinaddms17

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If it were me, I would just lightly sand all the lose paint off. Then get a touch up paint pen and paint back over that spot. It will hardly be noticeable. I agree, it looks like someone hit it with something and just scratched off the paint.
I think this is what i may have to end up doing. The corrosion goes all the way along the seal. As long as it doesn’t spread, I’m fine with retouching and fixing it myself. Just hoping this doesn’t indicate a larger problem.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T
155 Posts
I also have some rust in the same spot on my 2019. Less than what you have though. I'll wipe some Fluid Film on the area throughout the winter to slow/stop the spread.

Reactions: Reinaddms17

·
Registered
137 Posts
This is the inside of the door, not the outside. Read OP.
I am well aware of the picture and have eyes, I understand english as well. Your statement is now, given that context, no meaning . But after re reading I thought to myself it was interestinig its aqlong the seam, and another user said seat belt. I think its possible SOMETHIGN like coat zippers, seat belt, etc.. could have gotten pinched and that seam is where they went from moving away along the paint to where they gouged. Just more idea. if the seam itself has any issues or you are close to it, I would almost wonder if prime and use a seam sealer to cover the area wouldnt be the wisest as far as protecting the transition.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I'm going to go with either a bad repair or contamination at the factory. If you look closely, there are a few scuffs, but there is a lot of paint cracking and chipping. That wouldn't happen from a strike, that's coming from the inside.

I've highlighted a few of the scuffs and cracks. I'm with @Flybynightcru, get an accident report. If clean, show it to your dealer.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm going to go with either a bad repair or contamination at the factory. If you look closely, there are a few scuffs, but there is a lot of paint cracking and chipping. That wouldn't happen from a strike, that's coming from the inside.

I've highlighted a few of the scuffs and cracks. I'm with @Flybynightcru, get an accident report. If clean, show it to your dealer.

View attachment 220869
Thanks for highlighting this. I think some of the scuffs are from previous dirt, but will wipe down and take a closer look. The cracking in the paint does extend all the way up the seam which is odd. I haven’t noticed any similar wear on any of the other doors.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Have you checked the upper corners of the liftgate opening.
There is a Post here where there are cracks in the weld and rust. Cracking in Tailgate
Trying to figure out if the problem is only on one door or if there are other similar issues.

Just checked my 2014 V6 TH with about 116k miles.
The weather seal in Post #17 rests against the outer edge of the door and should protect it from water.
If the seal is worn out the door edge will not be protected.
I have cleaned up the ugly grey stuff in Post #17 and it all looks good now.
LR door has no rust, the paint is nice and even, looks good as new to me.
RR door has rust in several places where the outer door skin folds over the door.
This outer door skin was replaced several years ago by a really good body shop.
So to me this means a body shop repair is not nearly as good as the original factory 'build'.
I think this means your outer door skin was replaced by somebody.
If the repair was done before the Jeep was sold to the initial buyer there probably will not be any record that it happened.
Could have been damaged during delivery or sitting on the dealers lot. You will never know.

I have all ready hit a tree twice with the new RR outer skin so rust is of no concern to me.
Last body shop estimate I got was it would cost $1400 for a new door skin.
I will probably crush the door again someday, stuff happens.
Going in soon to fix front left plastic panels from getting stuck on a stump. A little over $500.
Driving off road can get really expensive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Have you checked the upper corners of the liftgate opening.
There is a Post here where there are cracks in the weld and rust.
Trying to figure out if the problem is only on one door or if there are other similar issues.
Only appears to be on this door. Wondering now if there was a previous sealing issue/still is one and is just now presenting itself

1 - 20 of 28 Posts