2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did a ton of research on how I wanted to modify my 2020 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk and I decided that the MFC lift was the best quality lift that was offered so I grabbed it. I also wanted bigger tires but did not want to deal with rubbing. I decided the best choice would be the Falken Wildpeaks 245/70/17 since I’ve heard multiple people say there’s no rubbing at all and even one without a lift will have no rubbing. After finally getting this work done and being very excited there is rubbing while primarily driving in reverse :(. Any suggestions?
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive carrying rack

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
1,154 Posts
Every jeep is a little different. Also, wild peaks run large. Do you know where its rubbing? If its on the lower control arm, there is not really anything you can do. If its the lower part of the front fender, that's due to the redesign in 2019. They a slightly different angle right there, and it causes slightly less space. If its in the pinch weld, that process really isn't hard. Plus, you may only need to do it in one spot, and may be able to get away with just heating up the liner and slightly remolding. Just depends on how much its rubbing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Every jeep is a little different. Also, wild peaks run large. Do you know where its rubbing? If its on the lower control arm, there is not really anything you can do. If its the lower part of the front fender, that's due to the redesign in 2019. They a slightly different angle right there, and it causes slightly less space. If its in the pinch weld, that process really isn't hard. Plus, you may only need to do it in one spot, and may be able to get away with just heating up the liner and slightly remolding. Just depends on how much its rubbing.
Hey Mike, thanks for the reply! im not really sure how to check where it’s rubbing? I did call the dealership where they did the install to see what they will say. I really wish I knew the wheel well space was smaller on the newer KL and the Falkens run big :(. It sounds like I have to somehow find out where it’s rubbing and then either do some fender modifications or get different tires..?

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
7,991 Posts
Where exactly is the rub??? I run the exact same setup, except with Toyo A/T III's in 245/70/17's that are 30.6" tall, and I'm not even close to rubbing. The closest the tires come to any part is about 3/4-7/8ths of an inch at the front of the fender trim. I'm well over an inch from the pinch weld. Seems strange that it only does it in reverse too. What were the camber numbers on the alignment sheet??? Sounds like a camber issue from the struts not being clocked correctly during installation. This is a very important part of the installation process...😎

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Look for scuff marks in the wheel wheels. You should see somewhere in there where the dirt has been rubbed off. It could be very small. Also check on the lower control arm. You might see a little black spot where the rubber hit slightly. Honestly, that combination generally works with no issues, even on the 19+, so yours must just be a little off. Its most likely only rubbing in one spot. Also, you didnt' mention it, and I can't see it in the picture, but did you add wheel spacers? If so, that will also cause rubbing. With you being in Canada, the Falcons are a good choice in tires.

Reactions: rneihardt85

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where exactly is the rub??? I run the exact same setup, except with Toyo A/T III's in 245/70/17's that are 30.6" tall, and I'm not even close to rubbing. The closest the tires come to any part is about 3/4-7/8ths of an inch at the front of the fender trim. I'm well over an inch from the pinch weld. Seems strange that it only does it in reverse too. What were the camber numbers on the alignment sheet??? Sounds like a camber issue from the struts not being clocked correctly during installation. This is a very important part of the installation process...😎
Hey Fly,
Thanks for the reply! I’m not sure how to check for rubbing but Mike offered some great advice so I can look into it a big closer. They didn’t give me an alignment sheet but if I was to suggest something to the technician what should I say? The camber may have not been done properly?
thanks for your help!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Look for scuff marks in the wheel wheels. You should see somewhere in there where the dirt has been rubbed off. It could be very small. Also check on the lower control arm. You might see a little black spot where the rubber hit slightly. Honestly, that combination generally works with no issues, even on the 19+, so yours must just be a little off. Its most likely only rubbing in one spot. Also, you didnt' mention it, and I can't see it in the picture, but did you add wheel spacers? If so, that will also cause rubbing. With you being in Canada, the Falcons are a good choice in tires.
Hey Mike,
Thanks for the advice on how to check! I will take a look and get back to you, I only added a MFC spacer 2 inch lift and a rear wheel Centering kit. And yea I’d like to keep them so hopefully I can get this resolved!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Generally, if it rubs, it will only rub at full lock. If its not rubbing that bad, just use them for a couple thousand miles. As they wear down, the rubbing will stop.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
Hey Fly,
Thanks for the reply! I’m not sure how to check for rubbing but Mike offered some great advice so I can look into it a big closer. They didn’t give me an alignment sheet but if I was to suggest something to the technician what should I say? The camber may have not been done properly?
thanks for your help!
I would ask to see the alignment sheet. Whenever there's an issue, it's always the camber due to the fact the KL has a "Zero Tolerance Camber", which is why the strut clocking is extremely important for drama free lift operation. The MFC installation video will explain this perfectly. Check it out...😎

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would ask to see the alignment sheet. Whenever there's an issue, it's always the camber due to the fact the KL has a "Zero Tolerance Camber", which is why the strut clocking is extremely important for drama free lift operation. The MFC installation video will explain this perfectly. Check it out...😎
I re-watched the video but couldn’t hear him talk about “strut clocking” would you be able to explain what this is?

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
I re-watched the video but couldn’t hear him talk about “strut clocking” would you be able to explain what this is?
You need to watch this new "in depth" one. It would be hard for me to explain, because I didn't do my installation either, I had mine done by one of the most reputable, and renowned Jeep Offroad shops in the country here in Utah that specializes in all things Jeep Offroad, long before I had the knowledge that I have today about lifting a KL. Check out this one, much longer, and far more in depth...😎

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You need to watch this new "in depth" one. It would be hard for me to explain, because I didn't do my installation either, I had mine done by one of the most reputable, and renowned Jeep Offroad shops in the country here in Utah that specializes in all things Jeep Offroad, long before I had the knowledge that I have today about lifting a KL. Check out this one, much longer, and far more in depth...😎
Yea this is the one I’ve been watching, do you know roughly what part of the video? I see that he uses a flat head to make space on the strut for the MFC spacers to go in between the knuckle and he mentions the spacers need to face forward with the lettering but not too sure if I’m missing something?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Best bet,get copy of alignment printout. The rubbing should be obvious, scratching the plastic. Or just cut wheels and do a visual. Might be as simple as pushing back plastic that got unseeded
Yea, checked today and it’s the front bit of the outside fender that’s barely rubbing. They’re going to cut the piece out for me, thanks for the help!
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Generally, if it rubs, it will only rub at full lock. If its not rubbing that bad, just use them for a couple thousand miles. As they wear down, the rubbing will stop.
Hey Mike, it ended up being the front outside fender part that you were mentioning is different on the newer models, they’re going to cut this out and it shouldn’t rub anymore, thanks!
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
Yea, checked today and it’s the front bit of the outside fender that’s barely rubbing. They’re going to cut the piece out for me, thanks for the help! View attachment 216699
Wow, I'm like 3/4-7/8ths of an inch from rubbing right there...Weird!!! You sure those are 245/70's??? LOL!!!😎

·
Registered
358 Posts
I wonder what was gained in the redesign of the wheel well area, on my 2017 TH, I run 245/75/R17 and have plenty of clearance left up front without any mod. Though the pinch weld mod was done for the back of the front wheel wells

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
I wonder what was gained in the redesign of the wheel well area, on my 2017 TH, I run 245/75/R17 and have plenty of clearance left up front without any mod. Though the pinch weld mod was done for the back of the front wheel wells
That front of the fender fascia is a little closer, but not really that much. I still find this puzzling. There's quite a few people running 245/70's with no lift, with no rubs. Possibly he failed to mention wheel spacers??? That would do it...😎

1 - 20 of 30 Posts