2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2015 AD2 Latitude, 3.2
398 Posts
Just wanted to add to this that I replaced the rotors recently and found the issue immediately. The problem was worse than I thought:

View attachment 214936

Would have had to replace within the year based on my pad wear:

View attachment 214937

Reminder that Jeep only gives you a warranty 12 months or 10,000 miles on brakes, which is a total joke in my opinion.
All 4 of my factory rotors had rusted like that or worse by early 20 some thousand miles on it.
It does look like a sticking caliper too with one pad worn thinner then the other.

·
Registered
10,332 Posts
Just wanted to add to this that I replaced the rotors recently and found the issue immediately. The problem was worse than I thought:

Reminder that Jeep only gives you a warranty 12 months or 10,000 miles on brakes, which is a total joke in my opinion.
Seized caliper pins ? These brakes will last a long time, if you keep them cleaned and lubed. I tried to stretch mine to 2 years for brake maintenance but got in trouble. If you drive in road salt a lot (like me), brakes must be maintained at 18 month intervals, no more.

·
Registered
519 Posts

View attachment 214936

View attachment 214937

First of all, wow!

I have 85,000mi on my 2015 Cherokee now. I'm still on my first set of brakes and all four of my rotors look practically new. I'm finally able to actually feel a teeny, tiny lip on the edge of the front rotors. That's crazy for a '19 Cherokee!

On the other hand, I've had vibrations during (some) braking events since the Cherokee was at 15k miles and when I went to the dealer, they told me the same exact thing. Brakes have a 1 year warranty. I was shocked.

I don't know if the rotors are warped, or if brake pad material gets distributed unevenly, or if there is some issue related to the stability control, or the electric steering, or backlash in the steering/suspension combined with the stability control, but I sometimes have very strong vibrations, including feeling the steering wheel shimmy slightly, especially braking form highway speeds, and other times, I will have zero vibrations and pulsations when braking.

Other times, when I begin braking, there will be a vibration, but if I increase the pressure on the brake pedal, the vibration will go away.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
First of all, wow!

I have 85,000mi on my 2015 Cherokee now. I'm still on my first set of brakes and all four of my rotors look practically new. I'm finally able to actually feel a teeny, tiny lip on the edge of the front rotors. That's crazy for a '19 Cherokee!

On the other hand, I've had vibrations during (some) braking events since the Cherokee was at 15k miles and when I went to the dealer, they told me the same exact thing. Brakes have a 1 year warranty. I was shocked.

I don't know if the rotors are warped, or if brake pad material gets distributed unevenly, or if there is some issue related to the stability control, or the electric steering, or backlash in the steering/suspension combined with the stability control, but I sometimes have very strong vibrations, including feeling the steering wheel shimmy slightly, especially braking form highway speeds, and other times, I will have zero vibrations and pulsations when braking.

Other times, when I begin braking, there will be a vibration, but if I increase the pressure on the brake pedal, the vibration will go away.
I believe (could be wrong) that when you have warped rotors, sometimes depending on where the deposits are, if for example both rotors are shaking in opposite directions it can cancel out some of the vibration. Sort of like playing reversed audio to cancel out a signal. Whereas playing the same increases the amplitude. I could be wrong.

Reactions: sport_4x4

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
640 Posts
I believe (could be wrong) that when you have warped rotors, sometimes depending on where the deposits are, if for example both rotors are shaking in opposite directions it can cancel out some of the vibration. Sort of like playing reversed audio to cancel out a signal. Whereas playing the same increases the amplitude. I could be wrong.
Resonant frequency.

I have a '15 with just over 40,000 miles and have the original brakes. I keep expecting them to fail, but who knows?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts