2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got myself stuck in soft sand at a real estate open house. Two wheels were on the dirt road but the other two wheels were digging themselves into a soft sand drainage channel. The rear locking diff got the vehicle going after a few tries but it then it continued to dig in.

If I was out in the woods I could have easily feed rocks under the wheels--maybe not even jack it up-it worked well on the Navajo Res out near Canyon Diablo in Arizona when I got caught in a thunderstorm.

But this was an open house. So I called roadside. They said I was limited to $100 bucks for a winch out. Soon they called backed and said I would have to pay $75 out of area fee just for the truck to show up..and they could want more money.

Fortunately I have AAA premium for my other car. I think it was about 90 a year-- 20 more than the ordinary plan because the towing distance goes to 100 miles. They told me I was fully covered as long as I was on a maintained road and got someone local immediately.

My advice: dont take roadside assistance for granted.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I got myself stuck in soft sand at a real estate open house. Two wheels were on the dirt road but the other two wheels were digging themselves into a soft sand drainage channel. The rear locking diff got the vehicle going after a few tries but it then it continued to dig in.

If I was out in the woods I could have easily feed rocks under the wheels--maybe not even jack it up-it worked well on the Navajo Res out near Canyon Diablo in Arizona when I got caught in a thunderstorm.

But this was an open house. So I called roadside. They said I was limited to $100 bucks for a winch out. Soon they called backed and said I would have to pay $75 out of area fee just for the truck to show up..and they could want more money.

Fortunately I have AAA premium for my other car. I think it was about 90 a year-- 20 more than the ordinary plan because the towing distance goes to 100 miles. They told me I was fully covered as long as I was on a maintained road and got someone local immediately.

I'm pretty sure Roadside Assistance is limited to actual "breakdowns" not getting yourself stuck, either offroad, you put it in the ditch on a snow covered road, or at an open house. Pretty sure that also applies if you broke down on the trail. I wouldn't expect any help from them in those situations. That's on you. AAA is a great thing!!!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Mine states that

Stuck?
If your vehicle is stuck in a ditch or snow, on or adjacent to a public roadway and appears to be undamaged, and the tow facility has access, it will be winched to the nearest road surface.
My other towing service is similar with my insurance so the definition on both is anywhere adjacent covers the whole ditch of the road allowance. If you have 2 towing coverages you can combine them and split bill for distance if you need.
Also states on both good for Canada and US

2019 Trailhawk Elite
Build date May 2019

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm pretty sure Roadside Assistance is limited to actual "breakdowns" not getting yourself stuck, either offroad, you put it in the ditch on a snow covered road, or at an open house. Pretty sure that also applies if you broke down on the trail. I wouldn't expect any help from them in those situations. That's on you. AAA is a great thing!!!
No, like I said, Roadside service packages with Uconnect will winch you to the maintained road surface; but its limited to 100 bucks. If it matters, 2 of the wheels were on the road surface in this situation.

No one should expect AAA or Roadside to cover you if you are not on a maintained road.

AAA regular covers the cost of 1 truck, and perhaps AAA premium covers 2 trucks at once. .(maybe...this is from memory) Anyhow lots of people slide off roads in snow and obviously roadside service comes out for that...just make sure they are not going to charge more than 100 or you have to cough up the difference immediately.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine states that

Stuck?
If your vehicle is stuck in a ditch or snow, on or adjacent to a public roadway and appears to be undamaged, and the tow facility has access, it will be winched to the nearest road surface.
My other towing service is similar with my insurance so the definition on both is anywhere adjacent covers the whole ditch of the road allowance. If you have 2 towing coverages you can combine them and split bill for distance if you need.
Also states on both good for Canada and US

2019 Trailhawk Elite
Build date May 2019

They will winch you...you have to pay any extra over $100 USD. They will tow you too...but it may be as few as 3 miles or only to nearest Jeep Dealer. (AAA premium will flatbed the jeep anywhere for 100 miles)

It's all in the fine print.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Once you start so spin (dig down) in sand, immediately air down the tires.
I almost got stuck last time at the beach to where I couldn't see under the Jeep.
I aired down, and pulled right out with no problem!

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
This is my opportunity to vent on this subject.
If Jeep is going to sell an off road vehicle then they should provide off road recovery for some period of time.
I have asked AAA to provide off road recovery insurance or as a Rider to a standard policy. So far nothing.
Once when I was going to drive the Canaan Mountain loop trail in WV. I stopped at the convenience store to buy gas and asked the cashier
if she knew of any locals that did off road recovery. She gave me the guys cell phone number. Problem solved. Only in Wild, Wonderful WV.
Fortunately I didn't need to call him.
The only other solution is to call one of my red neck neighbors and throw in a 6 pack of beer.
Once I was trespassing in my neighbors pasture and broke my VW trans-axle clean in half.
The farmers wife towed back to my cabin with her fancy pick-up truck.
Fortunately my neighbors in Garrett County are friendly.
As a result I ended up buying 60 acres of forest land from him.
They still ride their horses and mule on my Tree Farm sometimes.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I haven’t had to use them so good to know it’s a shaky service.
I’ll use my Satelite Rescue through my insurance which I’ve used with no charges.
But in all the years I’ve been driving it seems that there is for the most part someone going buy that pulls over and is ready to assist someone,including myself.
Can’t beat friendly people sure beats waiting for a tow! And a lot more people rigged for rescuing than you would think, a Canuck would never say No to a tow.

2019 Trailhawk Elite
Build date May 2019

·
Registered
821 Posts

It sounds like the bigest thing was being out of service area for the plan. Last weekend I did a trip up a maintained forest service road with some jeeps and one couples new to them wrangler TJ broke down (previous owners electric fan failed going up hill then the plastic radiator top blew off) they had a tow plan called where told a truck was on its way told the group to go on. About an hour later they called for help because the tow truck had decided it was not going to actully go up the road and get them. (Mind you fwd sedans easily made their way up the road) so even if you pay for a two plan don't count on them showing up every time.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
368 Posts
Basically if you get a tow truck driver that is afraid to drive up a road you really don’t want him hooking up to your vehicle anyways. Some of those guys probably never been of pavement. If you don’t think they are capable send them home without pay!

2019 Trailhawk Elite
Build date May 2019

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Basically if you get a tow truck driver that is afraid to drive up a road you really don’t want him hooking up to your vehicle anyways. Some of those guys probably never been of pavement. If you don’t think they are capable send them home without pay!

2019 Trailhawk Elite
Build date May 2019
It wasn't anything to do with the road or difficulty of winching. Roadside picked a place that was so far away they wanted 75 bucks to show up. AAA picked a place in town. In any event AAA premium covers the cost of a 2 truck extraction completely. Roadside gives you 100 bucks and you have to pay anything above that.

In the end I was out in minute. The flatbed kept the cable taught while the Trailhawk crawled out in 4wd low with locker on. Actually I was please to see the rear locker disengage immediately after I turned it off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts