2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
41 - 60 of 116 Posts

Premium Member

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
My next battery is going to be a Lithium automotive battery. Will install a shunt on it for some real time monitoring

I just recently put an X2 Power lithium in the Can Am, and that thing is amazing. I'm powering a lot of stuff on the slightly upgraded magneto charging system, and it was the difference of living on the battery tender, to no longer necessary. This is a badass little battery!!!馃槑
https://www.batteriesplus.com/product-details/powersports/battery/x2power/cyl10072

Premium Member
I'm thinking about getting a DC/DC charger and in combination with that, use it to charge the battery in my trailer without needing to start my Jeep. Only issue with lithium is unable to be charged below 0c, however the battery is inside in my WK2 and I have a heated garage so even when left outside at work it will still work out. If it was mounted under the hood the engine heat would easily get the battery above 0c after a few minutes of driving.

Registered
FYI, I ordered an X-2 from Batteries Plus on October 3rd...it just came into the store on November 18th. Yep, SEVEN week wait time - and it said "in stock" on their website when I ordered it. The kids at the store said "oh yeah, everything always says In Stock on our website" when I called to ask about it (all 5 times). So you may need to be prepared for a long wait. Luckily for me, my old battery wasn't dead yet and was being replaced proactively so I didn't end up with a dead battery in some dark parking lot on a -30F January night! lol
btw, my OEM battery date code was 14H30 - 2014 August 30...do I win the prize for oldest factory battery?? ;)

Reactions: AtlCade69 and Mark_

Registered
FYI, I ordered an X-2 from Batteries Plus on October 3rd...it just came into the store on November 18th. Yep, SEVEN week wait time - and it said "in stock" on their website when I ordered it. The kids at the store said "oh yeah, everything always says In Stock on our website" when I called to ask about it (all 5 times). So you may need to be prepared for a long wait. Luckily for me, my old battery wasn't dead yet and was being replaced proactively so I didn't end up with a dead battery in some dark parking lot on a -30F January night! lol
btw, my OEM battery date code was 14H30 - 2014 August 30...do I win the prize for oldest factory battery?? ;)
I think we may have a few members with 2014 KLs... with their OEM battery still in. Anyone wishes to confirm ?

But wow, a 2015 V6 with ESS still on the OEM battery is... wayy above average. The X2 Power should last until...2033 ;)

Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
My next battery is going to be a Lithium automotive battery. Will install a shunt on it for some real time monitoring

I thought about that as well, but wasn't sure about the heat. I think the maximum operating temp for LiFePO4 is like 140 degrees. I haven't checked the battery temp sensor to see what it reads, but I do know my air temps get up to 140 (I think this is where I have the max gauge set so its higher than that) from heat soak in heavy traffic in the summer quite easily, or on the trails in 4low.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I think we may have a few members with 2014 KLs... with their OEM battery still in. Anyone wishes to confirm ?

But wow, a 2015 V6 with ESS still on the OEM battery is... wayy above average. The X2 Power should last until...2033 ;)
My OEM Battery from my 2014 was removed by me as a precaution in 2019 and replaced with an Autozone Top of the line at the time. My Battery was given to a friend who is still ruining it in a Jeep without issue :). He pays my core charge on any battery i take out and he runs them until they die. I usually change at 5 years.

Registered
My OEM Battery from my 2014 was removed by me as a precaution in 2019 and replaced with an Autozone Top of the line at the time. My Battery was given to a friend who is still ruining it in a Jeep without issue :). He pays my core charge on any battery i take out and he runs them until they die. I usually change at 5 years.
I've never been a fan of using a battery till they die, as it usually dies at the most inopportune time. So I also replace my batteries at the 4 or 5 year mark, and then repurpose them if possible. I've currently got a 10 year old car battery in a lawn tractor. On a load tester it tests out as 'bad', but it still holds a charge and has more than enough juice in it to start it up.

I would also like to hear from more 2014 owners as to how long their OEM battery lasted. I seem to be in the minority with the following opinion, but I believe the only reason some vehicles need huge, expensive AGM batteries with a life span less than in years past, is simply because of the damn stop/start systems. If it were not for the constantly changing EPA fuel economy standards, manufacturers would never of started using such systems in the first place.

Reactions: jsf721

Premium Member

This was the last test I did on my 2014 with original battery before the northstar from my Cherokee went in it

Registered
They will not ship the battery and the X2 is a non stock at the store level 4-6 week lead time.

No in store or on site installation. LOVELY
In September I replaced my factory battery. I have a 2016 Latitude, 6 cylinder, AWD. Just days over 5 years from when I bought it. I usually disable start/stop, and occasionally throw on a trickle charger. For me, there was no warning that it was going to quit. Went to start it and it wouldn't even turn over. Jumped it with a charger and went and bought a new one. Since I got 5 years out of the original battery I decided to stay with the same. Bought a Duralast from AutoZone and will hope to get the same amount of life out of it.

Sent using Tapatalk

Registered
They will not ship the battery and the X2 is a non stock at the store level 4-6 week lead time.

No in store or on site installation. LOVELY
I wouldn't fret over it as an X2 is arguably overkill for your 2014, especially considering how long your non-agm stock battery lasted. Pepboys sells a Champion labeled AGM battery with a 4 year replacement warranty, so you might want to consider that if you have a PepBoys near you.

In September I replaced my factory battery. I have a 2016 Latitude, 6 cylinder, AWD. Just days over 5 years from when I bought it. I usually disable start/stop, and occasionally throw on a trickle charger. For me, there was no warning that it was going to quit. Went to start it and it wouldn't even turn over. Jumped it with a charger and went and bought a new one. Since I got 5 years out of the original battery I decided to stay with the same. Bought a Duralast from AutoZone and will hope to get the same amount of life out of it.

Sent using Tapatalk
5 years is a good lifespan for any car battery, so you got your use out of the stock one!

Registered
2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Ah, New York state. Somehow that doesn't surprise me. Surprised the core charge isn't like $100 or something, with an $80 environmental disposal tax, and then they just go dump them in the Hudson...LOL!!! Sorry, I couldn't resist...馃槈馃槑
Think it depends on where in NYS.They offered to install a battery for me until they found out it was a Camaro (Rochester NY) or it was because it was -15degs out at the time. Battery is in the center of the trunk . They worry about Installer getting hurt due to the reach with a 60lbs battery.

Registered

Premium Member
He means AGM batteries by design do not leak or vent toxic gases out like regular flooded lead acid batteries would. I would have expected a self proclaimed battery expert like yourself would have been able to figure that out

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
He means AGM batteries by design do not leak or vent toxic gases out like regular flooded lead acid batteries would. I would have expected a self proclaimed battery expert like yourself would have been able to figure that out
So, is he talking about the battery cover, or those wonky red and green felt washers???馃馃槑

Registered
So, is he talking about the battery cover, or those wonky red and green felt washers???馃馃槑
Probably the washers, that's what I posted about early in the thread. Explained why in post #20. Has nothing to do with 'acid leaks'.

Reactions: Flybynightcru
41 - 60 of 116 Posts