2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
21 - 40 of 116 Posts

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
The felt washer doesn't allow the connector to go all the way down on the battery post. The post is conical and the KL battery connectors are flimsy and sometimes difficult to tighen up. If you use felt washers, you increase the risk of not getting the connector on tight enough. And a loose connector = weird electrical problems on these Jeeps.
Not to mention, they really don't do anything other than make the auto parts store a few extra bucks in up sale on the cost of a new battery...馃槑

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The felt washer doesn't allow the connector to go all the way down on the battery post. The post is conical and the KL battery connectors are flimsy and sometimes difficult to tighen up. If you use felt washers, you increase the risk of not getting the connector on tight enough. And a loose connector = weird electrical problems on these Jeeps.
ok I thloght you meant the felt jacket that went over the entire battery. Thanks for clarifying.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I wrote to Odyssey last night and got the following response:

EnerSys, maker of Odyssey batteries, bought Northstar Battery over 2 years ago. Both NSB and ODY batteries are TPPL (Thin Plate Pure Lead). The X2 Power is the same as an Odyssey Extreme Battery and the Northstar Pro. BPB provides an additional year of warranty past the 4 year for the NSB X2. The ODP-AGM94R is not an Extreme battery but a Performance battery (the "P" means Performance). In the ODX batteries, the "X" means Extreme. The Extreme Series has a 4 year warranty. The Performance series has a 3 year warranty because the battery has a different design and lower ratings.

Vicki

I need to ask why they don't suggest that the ODX-AGM94R is an option for the Cherokee?

I will let you know what I find.

I am sure glad I am not in need to a battery TODAY. This Rabbit hole is deeper than expected.

Registered
I will be replacing my own battery shortly.
I have a 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk
I pulled up the following battery options on the Advance website. See link at bottom

Also found these interstate options see link at bottom

I don't know if AGM is better (and worth the extra $) than regular sealed ?

if it is better- I will definitely go for it. I like over kill in the power department as long as it does not hurt anything.

Thanks

HI

Registered
I will be replacing my own battery shortly.
I have a 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk
I pulled up the following battery options on the Advance website. See link at bottom

Also found these interstate options see link at bottom

I don't know if AGM is better (and worth the extra $) than regular sealed ?

if it is better- I will definitely go for it. I like over kill in the power department as long as it does not hurt anything.

Thanks

hi
I have a 2019 overland bought in July 2018. about a month ago I started having stop start issues, on display it said not ready battery charging, which was going on for about a month. I figured it was time for a battery. went to batteries plus and got the X2 grp. 94 , $295.00..I did a couple things first ,went and got the battery first ,did not take my old battery out yet ,2nd when I was ready to replace it I put a external power supply and pluged into my usb port on console , just in case I might lose some memory, seats, radio ,etc ,etc. I changed the battery in 15 minuets, no problem fit right in ,no problem with clamps . removed external source. took car out and drove around about hour, didnt just want to start it up and shut it off and leave it . every thing fine . I would recommend that battery no matter what the cost.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I wrote to Odyssey last night and got the following response:

EnerSys, maker of Odyssey batteries, bought Northstar Battery over 2 years ago. Both NSB and ODY batteries are TPPL (Thin Plate Pure Lead). The X2 Power is the same as an Odyssey Extreme Battery and the Northstar Pro. BPB provides an additional year of warranty past the 4 year for the NSB X2. The ODP-AGM94R is not an Extreme battery but a Performance battery (the "P" means Performance). In the ODX batteries, the "X" means Extreme. The Extreme Series has a 4 year warranty. The Performance series has a 3 year warranty because the battery has a different design and lower ratings.

Vicki

I need to ask why they don't suggest that the ODX-AGM94R is an option for the Cherokee?

I will let you know what I find.

I am sure glad I am not in need to a battery TODAY. This Rabbit hole is deeper than expected.
Just heard back from Enersys-they don't make the Northstar battery any longer- this is the replacement and they don't make an extreme version of the Odyssey. I'll be buying the X2 from Bulbs and Batteries. Sadly they are over an hour away but Ill make the trip.

Registered
Just heard back from Enersys-they don't make the Northstar battery any longer- this is the replacement and they don't make an extreme version of the Odyssey. I'll be buying the X2 from Bulbs and Batteries. Sadly they are over an hour away but Ill make the trip.
Yeah that's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the info.

I double-checked the Odyssey offerings and there is no Extreme model that fits into a Cherokee. Hopefully this will change now that they no longer produce Northstars...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Yeah that's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the info.

I double-checked the Odyssey offerings and there is no Extreme model that fits into a Cherokee. Hopefully this will change now that they no longer produce Northstars...
Rep said these are low volume batteries wanted to know what I was running them in, and said the Performance line is what is recommended by them now.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
That's a no brainier. Free installation included, and highly recommend...馃槑
White plains store does not install and does not allow self install on site. Said town required a garage license and they don't have one. Batttery is special order, they sell 2 per year-LOL.

The 60 mile trip needs to be done 2x to return the core. Not worth it for 20 bucks.

Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
White plains store does not install and does not allow self install on site. Said town required a garage license and they don't have one. Batttery is special order, they sell 2 per year-LOL.

The 60 mile trip needs to be done 2x to return the core. Not worth it for 20 bucks.
Can you bring the tools, drive to a different parking lot, install in like 3 minutes, and then drive right back and exchange?

Registered

Ah, New York state. Somehow that doesn't surprise me. Surprised the core charge isn't like $100 or something, with an $80 environmental disposal tax, and then they just go dump them in the Hudson...LOL!!! Sorry, I couldn't resist...馃槈馃槑

Registered
Rep said these are low volume batteries wanted to know what I was running them in, and said the Performance line is what is recommended by them now.
Ok. Performance line seems very good though. But anyway...

Batteries+ does ship, no ? I just checked their site, they say they do UPS. And since AGM batteries are considered spill proof, shipping can be done with no hazmat restrictions. Might be worth checking to buy online, see how much shipping costs are...

Reactions: Flybynightcru

Registered
Ok. Performance line seems very good though. But anyway...

Batteries+ does ship, no ? I just checked their site, they say they do UPS. And since AGM batteries are considered spill proof, shipping can be done with no hazmat restrictions. Might be worth checking to buy online, see how much shipping costs are...
That's what I was getting ready to say. Ship it right to your front door. I would call their 800 number and ask if they even ship automotive batteries, as I only see a store pickup option on the website...馃槑
https://www.batteriesplus.com/t/policies/shipping

Registered
Battery is special order, they sell 2 per year-LOL.
This doesn't surprise me at all. The average BatteriesPlus customer when given the choice between a $220 AGM battery with a 4 year warranty and another at $300 with a 5 year warranty will most often go with the cheaper option. Not everyone can afford the 'best'. Then there are people who after their original battery dies probably won't even be keeping the same car long enough to justify buying the best, most expensive battery available.

Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav

Just get a garbage battery from a junk yard (or neighbor) you don't need to trade in the battery that is currently in your Jeep, and group/size of the core doesn't even have to match...:cool:

Reactions: Mark_

Registered
Reactions: Flybynightcru
21 - 40 of 116 Posts