2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will be replacing my own battery shortly.
I have a 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk
I pulled up the following battery options on the Advance website. See link at bottom

Also found these interstate options see link at bottom

I don't know if AGM is better (and worth the extra $) than regular sealed ?

if it is better- I will definitely go for it. I like over kill in the power department as long as it does not hurt anything.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,162 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
554 Posts
If you want the best for a good price, go to battery plus and order the X2 Power. It's a rebranded Northstar AGM premium thin cell battery that you can generally get right around $300 dollars and comes with a 5 year warranty. Most years need an AGM, but if yours does not have Start Stop, then those models can also run a traditional lead acid. The AGM batteries are superior to the flooded lead acid batteries, but it also comes with a cost.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you tell me what the measure of a best in class battery is ? Today I learned AGM over sealed lead acid.

I see the battery you recommend below and its 840CCA, Interstate has a 850 for about 100 dollars less and Advance has one that 880 for about the same money. Both are AGM.

overkill would be a X2 Power AGM from batteries plus
5 year replacement warranty

IIRC the x2 power is the same as the current northstar pro

@Mark_

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you tell me what the measure of a best in class battery is ? Today I learned AGM over sealed lead acid.

I see the battery you recommend below and its 840CCA, Interstate has a 850 for about 100 dollars less and Advance has one that 880 for about the same money. Both are AGM.

If you want the best for a good price, go to battery plus and order the X2 Power. It's a rebranded Northstar AGM premium thin cell battery that you can generally get right around $300 dollars and comes with a 5 year warranty. Most years need an AGM, but if yours does not have Start Stop, then those models can also run a traditional lead acid. The AGM batteries are superior to the flooded lead acid batteries, but it also comes with a cost.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts

Northstar and the X2 are TPPL construction. The others you listed are lead calcium.
Here is some generic information.. there are also plenty of threads on this site about them.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
5,479 Posts

Your Trailhawk requires an AGM battery...That's what they come with from the factory...😎

·
Registered
874 Posts

·
Registered
11,156 Posts

Hi there,

Many good answers above. I'll just do a quick review of your questions/comments :

I don't see an 880 CCA choice from Advanced (?), but I do see an 850 CCA H7 AGM, just like the Interstate one. You should know that those 2 batteries are identical, they just have different labels (they are lead-calcium AGM batteries, as @Rand stated).

Your 2014 V6 does not have engine stop/start (ESS) so, on paper, it doesn't require an AGM battery. But yes, an AGM battery would be 'better', and the X2 Power (or Northstar - same battery) would be your overkill best battery.

So the X2 Power 'only' shows 840 CCA ? Yes, but don't let that number fool you. The X2 Power (Northstar) is a much better battery because of its architecture (thin plate pure lead) and better construction quality. The thin plate pure lead design means it will live longer than a lead-calcium AGM, will deal with underhood heat better, will crank better in the cold, will accept many more charge/discharge cycles... which means much better/longer battery life.

Then you need to ask yourself : how long do you plan on keeping this Jeep ? Is your current battery the original ? If you are still on the original battery, which is a regular flooded H7 (group 94R) battery, then maybe you wouldn't need a more expensive AGM... It all depends on a) your budget, b) how long you'll keep the 2014 and, of course c) how badly you want a badass battery... ;)

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
I'll take "overkill" everytime when it comes batteries...⚡⚡⚡😎
Careful, you might have to reconsider your choice. True 'overkill' battery is the one I have. Group 27F Northtstar / X2 Power, hahaha. But I don't recommend it to just everybody, knowing some tinkering is required to make it fit securely, and just because it's so darn heavy... at 68 lbs.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Consider how long you plan on keeping your Trailhawk. Buy a battery that may last that long.
Do you go off road? If yes then absolutely get the X2 Power.
Is it really hot or really cold where you live?
Maybe a really good battery charger would be worthwhile, especially if you don't drive often.

I suggest that you let your Jeep dealer install the battery. Then if something happens they can deal with it.
Can you do it, of course. But why tempt Murphy.

Let us know what you buy and how the installation goes. We love a good Post.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I would like to get the overkill battery as long as it will fit, i dont want to do surgery.

I was told that Odyssey bought out NorthStar, new item for this is Odyssey part # is ODP-AGM94R, higher CCA

Can someone confirm this is plug and play-I am planning on installing myself and using a battery saver.

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
So I would like to get the overkill battery as long as it will fit, i dont want to do surgery.

I was told that Odyssey bought out NorthStar, new item for this is Odyssey part # is ODP-AGM94R, higher CCA

Can someone confirm this is plug and play-I am planning on installing myself and using a battery saver.
Hahaha... yeah, the 27F is non 'plug and play' overkill. The 94R (H7) Northstar / X2 Power is the overkill you want.

About Odyssey : you are correct, they bought out Northstar a couple years ago. Not much info available on what is happening with current product lines, etc...
Yes, that Odyssey battery is a perfect fit as it is a 94R (formely known as 94R-850). Curiously, fitment guides from Odyssey and even Autozone say it is not a match for a Cherokee, but that is false.

Is the Odyssey battery as good or better than a Northstar / X2 Power ? We don't know. We do know that it is a thin plate pure lead design as well, so it is a premium AGM battery, and it sports a high number of charge/discharge cycles, which is consistant with a high quality battery. Again, don't look at that 850 vs 840 CCA number, it doesn't mean much when they are so close.

So which one to get ? A few things to consider : a) price, and b) warranty. X2 Power comes with a full 5 year replacement warranty that can't be beat. Northstar label comes with a 4 year replacement, Odysseys come with a 3 year replacement. Just know that, in normal conditions, an Odyssey like this one will last just as long as a Northstar, most likely, but you don't have the nicer warranty to back it up.

Hope this helps..

Late edit for typo : Odyssey 94R-850, not 84R

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Sounds like a plan to me, go for it.
The "trick" for installing the battery is to push down on the cable clamp while you tighten the nut.
Do not use the felt thing.
Disclaimer: I have never done it, I watched my dealer mechanic do it.
Let me know how the Odyssey works.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
5,479 Posts
The X2 Power 94R is definitely sufficient overkill...Best bang for the bucks, and 5yr FREE REPLACEMENT. likely the last battery you'll probably ever have to buy...😎

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds like a plan to me, go for it.
The "trick" for installing the battery is to push down on the cable clamp while you tighten the nut.
Do not use the felt thing.
Disclaimer: I have never done it, I watched my dealer mechanic do it.
Let me know how the Odyssey works.
Why do you say don’t use the felt thing.

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
The X2 Power 94R is definitely sufficient overkill...Best bang for the bucks, and 5yr FREE REPLACEMENT. likely the last battery you'll probably ever have to buy...😎
For many of us though, the Northstar (X2 Power) 94R is not overkill at all. Fot those of us who cacn't get more than 2-4 years out of the OEM-type AGM and wish to keep our KL for a long time, a premium TPPL AGM makes sense in many ways and the extra cost is more than justified. I consider myself in this category, haven't killed my OEM battery in 3.5 years.

I guess the overkill, as referred to in this thread early on, is for non ESS Cherokees that came with flooded lead-acid batteries and have seen decent battery life. But if your 2014 V6, or 2016 2.4 (for example) ate the original battery in less than 4 years, than yeah go AGM, and go premium TPPL ;)

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
Why do you say don’t use the felt thing.
The felt washer doesn't allow the connector to go all the way down on the battery post. The post is conical and the KL battery connectors are flimsy and sometimes difficult to tighen up. If you use felt washers, you increase the risk of not getting the connector on tight enough. And a loose connector = weird electrical problems on these Jeeps.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts