2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone replaced the AGS on their 2014 Jeep Cherokee yet? I ran over a cone a while back and the CEL came on complaining about the AGS. Dealership wants $860 to replace it. I looked up the part, can get it for $150 online. I also found instructions on removing the front fascia in other forum posts. Does anyone know if there is anything special about the process or can a DIYer just remove the fascia and switch out the AGS?

·
Registered
627 Posts
I didn't even know we had them, another piece of news after almost 9 months of ownership!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've never heard of this on the Cherokees either. Maybe this is a feature for the government and MPG in another country? Canada, Austrailia, Germany??

·
Registered
461 Posts
I believe they are only in the 2.4l equipped Cherokees.

Apparently, the front grille was designed for the 3.2lv6, and the smaller 2.4l gets too much airflow at highway speeds, cooling it too much and reducing fuel efficiency. The active grille closes at high speeds to reduce airflow around the engine.
Very unfortunate that simply hitting a cone is enough to mess it up...

·
Registered
934 Posts
REMOVAL
NOTE: When replacing the active grill shutter assembly or active grill shutter actuator with a service part it will be necessary to perform a counter reset with a scan tool. Follow the scan tool prompts as located under PCM/Misc. Functions/Active Grill Shutter Replace.

1.Remove the front fascia and place on a workbench (Refer to 13 - Frame and Bumpers/Bumpers/FASCIA, Front - Removal) .

2.Accessing from the rear of the fascia, remove the fasteners (1) securing the active grille shutter to the fascia.

3.Remove the active grille shutter from the fascia.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you so much Desoto. Any recommendations on a good scan tool for the Jeep? I have a Durametric but that's specific for my other vehicle.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Thank you so much Desoto. Any recommendations on a good scan tool for the Jeep? I have a Durametric but that's specific for my other vehicle.
Just a heads up, I've had my front bumper off numerous times. The shutters are easy to remove once the bumper is off and theres only 1 wire connector to unclip. Good luck

·
Registered
934 Posts
Nothing out there right now that can read all of the channels other than the FCA stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finally got this done

I finally replaced the active grille shutter. I used the instructions on another forum post to remove the front bumper:

http://jeepcherokeeclub.com/49-exterior/15769-front-bumper-removal.html

Replacing the AGS was pretty easy after the bumper was removed. I then went to AutoZone and had them clear the CEL codes. Everything seems good now, no more CEL light. Took about 2-3 hours total.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I finally replaced the active grille shutter. I used the instructions on another forum post to remove the front bumper:

http://jeepcherokeeclub.com/49-exterior/15769-front-bumper-removal.html

Replacing the AGS was pretty easy after the bumper was removed. I then went to AutoZone and had them clear the CEL codes. Everything seems good now, no more CEL light. Took about 2-3 hours total.
My MIL light came on with the AGS code. Do you have the part # for the AGS? I'd rather not pay the dealership to replace, but I want to make sure I get the right part.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m late to the game, I was told my 2014 Cherokee’s AGS’ were sealed and could only be replaced so the dealership quoted me $775 for job. Why do they charge so much if the part is around $200?! And how difficult for a middle aged woman to tackle the replacement herself? Keep in mind I have never removed a bumber in my life.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I’m late to the game, I was told my 2014 Cherokee’s AGS’ were sealed and could only be replaced so the dealership quoted me $775 for job. Why do they charge so much if the part is around $200?! And how difficult for a middle aged woman to tackle the replacement herself? Keep in mind I have never removed a bumber in my life.
I've never done it, but here is a video. And welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
My '15 TH did not have them. The gf's '15 Sport 2.4L does.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts