2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For a while now, the remote start function on both our key fobs (press twice to start) has not worked. No issues with the door lock/unlock or panic buttons, just the remote start. I wanted to take a stab at fixing it since it's getting cold and my wife loves remote start. I replaced the battery in one fob and that did not help. Then I thought maybe it was a mechanical issue so I cut a tiny piece of plastic and glued it into the receptacle where the remote start switch on the circuit board would fit in the enclosure. That didn't help either.
I turned my attention to the second fob and figured I'd see what would happen if I took it apart and tried it WITHOUT the enclosure..in other words, just the circuit board itself. Wonders of wonders, it worked, and I had not yet replaced the battery!! I changed the battery anyway and tested again with just the circuit board itself and sure enough it worked like a charm. I put it back together and tried it. It worked ONCE then again would not work. Lock/Unlock worked with NO problem. As a last ditch effort I took both fobs apart and as carefully as possible, sprayed some contact cleaner on the switches (I still have some Radio Shack contact cleaner I got from when they closed. Deoxit should work just as good). After spraying, I dried the circuit boards as carefully as possible, and put them back together. I got the second one to work 50 percent of the time and the first one refused to work.
I even slightly bent the battery contacts to make sure the battery was not loose in the enclosure.
The battery in the car is good and was just replaced last year. Could the transmitters in the circuit boards gotten so weak that they don't work unless the circuit board is exposed? That doesn't explain (to me) why the door lock/unlock buttons continue to work with no issue and why the doors will still unlock when you place your hand on the door handle.
I'm almost tempted to put a thicker piece of plastic in the enclosure, but I'm really puzzled. How does the fob actually work? Is it a different signal for each button? Does each button have its own transmitter? I'm not even sure why I'm asking because I don't know anything about that stuff to make a change, but there is obviously some issue with the circuit board and how it works in the enclosure.

· Registered
1,188 Posts
You didn't mention distances in your post, so perhaps my reply isn't relevant.

But the one thing I've noticed about my fob is that I get a lot more range out of it if I'm not covering most of it with my hand. If I need to start the car from a distance I need to hold it with one finger only on the bottom and another finger pushing the button. The more area of the fob I cover with my hand the more the range suffers.

· Registered
21 Posts
I know it seems like a key fob issue. But do you ever get the lights to flash, or get any messages in the evic? (Remote start not available because xyz")

It sounds like it could be a switch issue, not so much a battery or transmitter problem.

· Registered
511 Posts
I know with my fobs I have to push the button squarely and it works every time. Side pressing the button even though it feels like it clicks gets no start, push twice squarely in the center and it always works (for me anyways) even from within my office about 60+ feet away second floor. I get about 100' in parking lot with line of sight. Oddly all other buttons are more sensitive, especially the panic button, have pocket set my panic alarm off many times.

· Registered
3,354 Posts
I know with my fobs I have to push the button squarely and it works every time. Side pressing the button even though it feels like it clicks gets no start, push twice squarely in the center and it always works (for me anyways) even from within my office about 60+ feet away second floor. I get about 100' in parking lot with line of sight. Oddly all other buttons are more sensitive, especially the panic button, have pocket set my panic alarm off many times.
My fob will work through my 4th floor office windows (that are tinted to keep the sun out, but also seem to kill cell phone reception) out to my Jeep parked at least 100 feet away from the building.

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You didn't mention distances in your post, so perhaps my reply isn't relevant.

But the one thing I've noticed about my fob is that I get a lot more range out of it if I'm not covering most of it with my hand. If I need to start the car from a distance I need to hold it with one finger only on the bottom and another finger pushing the button. The more area of the fob I cover with my hand the more the range suffers.
Distances didn't appear to be an issue. As an example, when I hit one of the circuit boards with the contact cleaner, I was in my office which is in the back of the house and I'd say maybe 40 feet from the car, and I accidentally hit the button twice and the car started. And my office is not in line of sight of the car. In one of the time with the full enclosure I was standing right next to the car and nothing.

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know it seems like a key fob issue. But do you ever get the lights to flash, or get any messages in the evic? (Remote start not available because xyz")

It sounds like it could be a switch issue, not so much a battery or transmitter problem.
Lights would not flash. No messages in EVIC. I thought it would be switch issue too, which is why I put the plastic in to make sure that the switch was being depressed squarely. With just teh circuit board, it worked perfectly every time..lol

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You don't by chance have the Maximum Care warranty, do you? Key fobs are covered for repair or replacement, even if they are lost or stolen.
I don't think so, but I need to check! Thanks for the tip!

· Registered
3,613 Posts
Maybe the button covers on the fob are bent/twisted/obstructed. Your symptoms and testing are pointing to a purely physical problem.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe the button covers on the fob are bent/twisted/obstructed. Your symptoms and testing are pointing to a purely physical problem.
Yeah, that's why I glued small pieces of plastic in each one. They are just cavities in which the respective buttons on the circuit board rest, so I figured adding a hard surface might help. For what it's worth, my wife reports hers worked, but it seems to be distance related, and mine worked too, also at a closer distance (approx 20 feet). Maybe the computer had to relearn that signal? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

· Registered
16 Posts
Hi there! Did you (sounbwoy) ever get a resolution? I took my 2014 Cherokee in, and was advised the Key Fob button had warn out - but that the circuit board was just fine. Their solution was to sell me a new key fob for $216; I didn't bite on it yet, as I wanted to explore a repair of the fob itself. I had the same symptoms as you - all other buttons worked flawlessly with the exception of the remote start button. Very frustrating, especially given that it has likely been used less than the lock/unlock button.

· Registered
4 Posts
Tengo un Grand Cherokee 2014, hace dos días cuando intentaba encender mi jeep con el control remoto encendido y apagado unos segundos cuando decía en el tablero "deshabilitar el arranque remoto" y cuando encendía el vehículo normal, la luz de verificación estaba encendido, cambié la batería del control y nada sigue igual, lo enciendo con el control remoto y se apaga después de unos segundos y siempre obtengo lo mismo en el tablero "deshabilitar arranque remoto" cualquiera sabe qué que hacer en este caso gracias.

· Registered
1 Posts
For a while now, the remote start function on both our key fobs (press twice to start) has not worked. No issues with the door lock/unlock or panic buttons, just the remote start. I wanted to take a stab at fixing it since it's getting cold and my wife loves remote start. I replaced the battery in one fob and that did not help. Then I thought maybe it was a mechanical issue so I cut a tiny piece of plastic and glued it into the receptacle where the remote start switch on the circuit board would fit in the enclosure. That didn't help either.
I turned my attention to the second fob and figured I'd see what would happen if I took it apart and tried it WITHOUT the enclosure..in other words, just the circuit board itself. Wonders of wonders, it worked, and I had not yet replaced the battery!! I changed the battery anyway and tested again with just the circuit board itself and sure enough it worked like a charm. I put it back together and tried it. It worked ONCE then again would not work. Lock/Unlock worked with NO problem. As a last ditch effort I took both fobs apart and as carefully as possible, sprayed some contact cleaner on the switches (I still have some Radio Shack contact cleaner I got from when they closed. Deoxit should work just as good). After spraying, I dried the circuit boards as carefully as possible, and put them back together. I got the second one to work 50 percent of the time and the first one refused to work.
I even slightly bent the battery contacts to make sure the battery was not loose in the enclosure.
The battery in the car is good and was just replaced last year. Could the transmitters in the circuit boards gotten so weak that they don't work unless the circuit board is exposed? That doesn't explain (to me) why the door lock/unlock buttons continue to work with no issue and why the doors will still unlock when you place your hand on the door handle.
I'm almost tempted to put a thicker piece of plastic in the enclosure, but I'm really puzzled. How does the fob actually work? Is it a different signal for each button? Does each button have its own transmitter? I'm not even sure why I'm asking because I don't know anything about that stuff to make a change, but there is obviously some issue with the circuit board and how it works in the enclosure.
I have the exact same issues. It works 100% when it's out of the case. So frustrating and mysterious.

· Registered
4,362 Posts
Please tell us a little more about your Jeep.
Year, model, mileage, fob batteries replaced?
Did remote start work in the past and now it doesn't?
Restate your actual situation so we know exactly what is happening.
Refer to "remote start" in the Owner's Manual, there is lots of information there.
There are certain conditions where Remote Start will not work intentionally.
Use "Search Community" above and search for "remote start", there should be a useful Post if you can just find it.
I have a 2014 TH and used remote start when I first got the Jeep just to see if it worked, haven't used it since.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts