2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting a 4x4 for the first time opens up a whole different horizion. You can go places and see things that are just not accessible from paved roads. But with that new found capability is also a new level of responsibility.

Many of you are long time off-road enthusiasts and what I am about to say is old hat and a bit preachy. For those of you who are new to the 4x4 community I would like you to think about the following message:

There are many eco-friendly (I am being nice here) groups who are watching for any excuse to stop motorized access on public lands. They keep a close eye on off-road activities and will immediately bring to the public attention any damage or abuse (imagined or otherwise) of these lands. A single irresponsible driver/rider can cause a closure of an entire area.

What can we do to keep this from happening?

1) Stay on designated trails and respect private property. If there is any doubt if you should be there then don't go.
2) Pack it out with you. Bring your trash back out with you. If you see trash on the trails then please pick it up and bring it out as well. Keeping the trails cleaned up will give these groups less amunition to use against us.
4) Respect closure signs. If a trail is closed. Please stay off of it.
5) With the on-going drought conditions in the central and western states. Be very wary with open flames. A single spark can destroy an entire commmunity not to mention millions of acres of forest and grass lands. A cigarette dropped out of a car window can be blown off into dry grass or weeds. It can start a fire long after the vehicle is gone that is was dropped from.

I will get off my soap box now. Please keep these things in mind when you are taking your new toy off-road.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Getting a 4x4 for the first time opens up a whole different horizion. You can go places and see things that are just not accessible from paved roads. But with that new found capability is also a new level of responsibility.

Many of you are long time off-road enthusiasts and what I am about to say is old hat and a bit preachy. For those of you who are new to the 4x4 community I would like you to think about the following message:

There are many eco-friendly (I am being nice here) groups who are watching for any excuse to stop motorized access on public lands. They keep a close eye on off-road activities and will immediately bring to the public attention any damage or abuse (imagined or otherwise) of these lands. A single irresponsible driver/rider can cause a closure of an entire area.

What can we do to keep this from happening?

1) Stay on designated trails and respect private property. If there is any doubt if you should be there then don't go.
2) Pack it out with you. Bring your trash back out with you. If you see trash on the trails then please pick it up and bring it out as well. Keeping the trails cleaned up will give these groups less amunition to use against us.
4) Respect closure signs. If a trail is closed. Please stay off of it.
5) With the on-going drought conditions in the central and western states. Be very wary with open flames. A single spark can destroy an entire commmunity not to mention millions of acres of forest and grass lands. A cigarette dropped out of a car window can be blown off into dry grass or weeds. It can start a fire long after the vehicle is gone that is was dropped from.

I will get off my soap box now. Please keep these things in mind when you are taking your new toy off-road.

Excellent advice for a future off road newbie, thank you.

·
Registered
740 Posts
With great power, comes great responsibility!

Reactions: TXHWK1

·
Registered
861 Posts
Well said - sound like plain Ol' Common Sense to me.

I spent a lot of time hunting & fishing & same rules apply for same reasons.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts