2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know what this light is supposed to tell me when its ON continuously? My manual says that the light at that location should flash for 15 seconds when the Jeep is Arming and steady for 3 seconds at startup?

It comes on at startup occasionally along with the Traction light over in the Speedometer. If I shut off the engine and restart, both lights go away. It happens probably once a month. No codes are stored in the display. Also, when this happens, the power steering feels "weak"...like the electrical assist isn't working at 100%.

· Registered
4,567 Posts
My guess is it trying to tell you there is a fault in the security system.
Check to make sure all the doors and hoods are securely closed.
I think the only push switch you can see is the one in the engine compartment.
The switch may be part of the front hood latch. I have never seen this happen.
This link discusses Chrysler's and may give you some hints: Diagnose Anti-Theft System
Refer to "SENTRY KEY" starting on about page 16 in the Owner's Manual.
It doesn't directly answer your question. Just wants you to see a Jeep dealer.
This link has more bad news: Solid red light on dash van wont start
Lots of luck, I think you are going to need it. Hopefully you will get some useful reply's.

· Registered
12 Posts
Anybody know what this light is supposed to tell me when its ON continuously? My manual says that the light at that location should flash for 15 seconds when the Jeep is Arming and steady for 3 seconds at startup?

It comes on at startup occasionally along with the Traction light over in the Speedometer. If I shut off the engine and restart, both lights go away. It happens probably once a month. No codes are stored in the display. Also, when this happens, the power steering feels "weak"...like the electrical assist isn't working at 100%.

View attachment 211956
Did you ever figure this out? Mine is doing the exact same thing.

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I DID troubleshoot the problem to the point that I know it's related to turning ON my headlights with the aftermarket HID kit - sometimes. Not every time though, and I don't see any pattern to when the problem happens. Not very helpful, right? I assume you have a HID upgrade kit too?

KLTH419, I forgot about this thread since it died after 1 reply. Turns out this was/is a symptom of a bigger problem with my aftermarket HID headlight kit. Do you have one too? I've tried several different things to fix that issue (new anti-flicker modules for the aftermarket HID kit, new battery) but nothing helped. It's aggrevating to say the least. I've ordered new High Output Halogen bulbs with the intent of pulling the HID kit out and just going back to halogen bulbs.

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Never tested the alternator. Tested the battery; it tested OK. Replaced it anyways with an X2Power AGM with no improvement. (and kept the 7+ year old factory AGM for my car trailer winch!)

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We've determined that the red light in the dash is ON to notify us of a fault in the System due to our aftermarket HID lights. It doesn't tell us WHAT the fault is, nor does it actually store a code in the computer (per Dealer scan tool). Typically this fault causes 4x4 and Traction Control to go offline - kind of a Big Deal in a Jeep. Sometimes the electric Power Steering is affected too.

· Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
2,586 Posts
New cars hate aftermarket lights if the circuit is monitored... Seems the systems are getting pickier by the year with smaller tolerances...

Reactions: Flybynightcru

· Registered
5 Posts
My 2015 th does this aswell, only when I turn the lights on. I have the mfc lights and they have been getting worse and worse, half the time I have to turn the lights on and off to get both to turn on.

· Registered
4,567 Posts
I think Post #9 pretty much says it all.
The headlights use pulse width modulation in some mysterious way, at least it is mysterious to me.
I tried 2 different brands of LED headlights and never got them to work reliably.
I ended up installing driving lights which are connected directly to the battery, that way they don't interfere with pulse width modulation system.
Used inexpensive 55W halogen lights which do a good job of lighting up the highway. As in $20 for Hella 500FF driving lights at Spring Carlisle.
You could install HID lights if you want too and they won't mess with the pulse width modulation system.
I took the easy way out, but it works for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts