2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess it might need a rear wheel alignment? maybe something else?

some clues:
  • I've seen some wear happening but haven't thought it was anything until today
  • I've been hearing a whirring sound coming from the rear but it's so subtle & hasn't been getting worse
  • the car has about 199,500 miles
  • the driver's wheel feels like it needs a constant pressure to keep the car straight

pics of the rear tires from September & today. the right side is worse
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Tread

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

before noticing the right rear this afternoon, I was thinking of putting the winter tires on & getting a wheel alignment. now I will mention the uneven wear to our mechanic in case there is something else to check like a knuckle? is that a thing, with these?

· Registered
1,014 Posts
It could be the rubber bushings going bad, or could just be the arm that controls the camber just out of whack.

I'm not far from you in terms of miles (nearly 190k), and I’m in the process of replacing all the rear suspension components, plus the knuckle bushings. I’ve also been noticing a whirrin/buzzing sound that appears to be coming from the rear, which points to a wheel bearing based on past experience.

I'm also coming up to about 50k miles on my Destination AT2's, so this’ll be the last winter I reckon. I do rotate my tires during every oil change, so that has helped keep the wear fairly consistent.

Do you rotate your tires every so often as well?

Reactions: rumrunner

· Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could be the rubber bushings going bad, or could just be the arm that controls the camber just out of whack.

I'm not far from you in terms of miles (nearly 190k), and I’m in the process of replacing all the rear suspension components, plus the knuckle bushings. I’ve also been noticing a whirrin/buzzing sound that appears to be coming from the rear, which points to a wheel bearing based on past experience.

I'm also coming up to about 50k miles on my Destination AT2's, so this’ll be the last winter I reckon. I do rotate my tires during every oil change, so that has helped keep the wear fairly consistent.

Do you rotate your tires every so often as well?
thank you. I do rotate the tires and have had excellent even wear, until now. these haven't been rotated since September & I've had a cpl oil changes. maybe rotating the tires more would have hidden this issue?

· Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
8,739 Posts
pics of the rear tires from September & today. the right side is worse
That's pretty substantial wear on the right rear, almost to the point of ruined. The optimal time to do a four wheel alignment is when the tires are new. I always have the alignment done when I have new tires installed. If your winter tires are better, with good even wear, you'll have much better luck with an alignment, since the amount of wear on your rt rear will very likely create a problem, and you might be throwing your money away doing it with that one on there. Have your mechanic do a good inspection on the rear suspension components, and check that right rear wheel bearing. I'm assuming you've never had to change any of the bearings? If not, you've been lucky, and definitely got your money's worth out of them. I think I have a rear starting to make some noise too, and I'm only at 38,000 miles...😎

· Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's pretty substantial wear on the right rear, almost to the point of ruined. The optimal time to do a four wheel alignment is when the tires are new. I always have the alignment done when I have new tires installed. If your winter tires are better, with good even wear, you'll have much better luck with an alignment, since the amount of wear on your rt rear will very likely create a problem, and you might be throwing your money away doing it with that one on there. Have your mechanic do a good inspection on the rear suspension components, and check that right rear wheel bearing. I'm assuming you've never had to change any of the bearings? If not, you've been lucky, and definitely got your money's worth out of them. I think I have a rear starting to make some noise too, and I'm only at 38,000 miles...😎
Thank you. The winter tires are good and even. Yeah that tire is toast. I will followup

· Registered
1,522 Posts
inside wear can sometimes be caused by suspension sagging
how are your springs back there? always loaded down?

I expect you need to replace some suspension components.

IF you line up directly behind the tire does it appear that the top of the tire is tilted in?

· Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
inside wear can sometimes be caused by suspension sagging
how are your springs back there? always loaded down?
I expect you need to replace some suspension components.
IF you line up directly behind the tire does it appear that the top of the tire is tilted in?
thank you. I don't think so except for that inside edge is lower
Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Grey Wood

· Registered
1,522 Posts
thank you. I don't think so except for that inside edge is lower
That isnt the angle.. the tread will appear flat.

go 4-6ft behind the rear bumper and look at the sidewall near the tread at the top of the tire vs where the bottom of the tire is does it look tilted in.

the angle of this pic isnt straight enough but you get the idea?

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

· Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
That isnt the angle.. the tread will appear flat.

go 4-6ft behind the rear bumper and look at the sidewall near the tread at the top of the tire vs where the bottom of the tire is does it look tilted in.

the angle of this pic isnt straight enough but you get the idea?

View attachment 222173
Ok I understand yeah kinda but it always looked that way to me partly because of how that body panel is shaped but yeah it’s possible it’s tilted a tiny bit
Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

· Registered
2022 Altitude 3.2
74 Posts
A defective wheel bearing (like on the verge of complete failure) can cause a tire to 'lean-in' like that. You said you already have the sound. Jack-up that corner and see if you can rock the wheel by hand.

· Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
A defective wheel bearing (like on the verge of complete failure) can cause a tire to 'lean-in' like that. You said you already have the sound. Jack-up that corner and see if you can rock the wheel by hand.
thank you
would not surprise me
had the left rear bearing in July

thought I had one of the front bearings done as well but I can't quickly find that
but the sound I hear doesn't sound like the typical swarm of bees that I associate with wheel bearings

got an appointment at my local mech. tomorrow for a look-see

· Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
talked to one of our mechanics. we chatted about possibilities, costs & practicalities. he will look into it further & advise on best options. I bought 2 pre-owned cars from this family business & they like me & I trust them & their advice (reserving judgement)
initial thoughts with him:
I used to rotate the tires so often that this issue never came to light
needs an alignment
will mount up the winter tires which are in great shape & have 8.5ish/32nds of tread
can't do an alignment w/o replacing the bushings? (& knuckle?)
mechanic will try to find a way to do the bushings or find a junk-yard knuckle or figure out if there is another option
maybe after they mount the tires they can try an alignment? but he didn't say that
don't want to replace too much at retail prices, doesn't make sense on a car w/ 200k miles, (which might cost thousands)
I can drive the winter tires for a cpl months while I keep shopping to replace the car
mechanic will keep the car a little longer & try to find more solutions for me
does not think it needs a wheel bearing or driveshaft, or that there's any issue w/ transmission, RDM or PTU. thinks the subtle whirring sound is the tires, which haven't been rotated in 6 months/12-15K miles (September)
wouldn't mind changing the bearing on that right side cuz they did the bearing on the left side a cpl months ago, but that's not what is causing the tire wear

better or at least more definitive news tomorrow

· Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
they only charged me for mounting/balancing the winter tires
the cost to replace the knuckle was prohibitive
they didn't bring up replacing just the bushing, as mentioned in another thread
we didn't discuss junkyard parts
at 199,686 miles I don't mind moving on to another unit
the "whirring" sound is gone & I only hear the soft hum of Michelin X-ice X3 225 60 18 tires
I'll be keeping an eye on the right rear
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Black Tread

· Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
8,739 Posts
they only charged me for mounting/balancing the winter tires
the cost to replace the knuckle was prohibitive
they didn't bring up replacing just the bushing, as mentioned in another thread
we didn't discuss junkyard parts
at 199,686 miles I don't mind moving on to another unit
the "whirring" sound is gone & I only hear the soft hum of Michelin X-ice X3 225 60 18 tires
I'll be keeping an eye on the right rear
View attachment 222214
You better find that new one quickly, before you ruin that nice right rear Michelin too...LOL!!!😉😎

· Registered
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You better find that new one quickly, before you ruin that nice right rear Michelin too...LOL!!!😉😎
at this point I consider them sacrificial, especially if I switch to a 17" Cherokee
also it took 6 months & 12-15k miles to ruin that last tire, so I think I have time
but you raise a good point, if I want to keep them! thank you
their manufacture date(s) are: 2 at 2015 & 2 at 2016, so I think they have a cpl years left?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts