2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the Haynes manual the rear diff oil is 70w 80 and is non synthetic. There is no mention of the diff oil in the jeep owners manual and Jeep say it’s sealed for life.
I Checked my diff oil level today and noticed it was not up to the fill hole so went to buy some.
However I can’t find any locally, even the Jeep dealer doesn’t sell any, they just buy in bulk drums for their own use they say.
I can get a 75w 85 but most are fully or semi synthetic, is there any problem using a slightly different grade just for topping up and is it an issue mixing mineral oil (which I assume is in the diff, but not sure as I only recently bought the car) with semi or full synthetic oil? What would be the highest numbers I should go to such as 80w 90?
2014 TH 3.2.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Mopar PN 68227765AB is for a 1 quart plastic bottle.
SAE 70W-80 GL-5 synthetic axle lubricant. Costs MSRP $19.20 plus $15.00 shipping so you can probably get it for less from your local dealer.
They should give you a discount since you did the "impossible" for them.
Buy a pump with a hose that screws on to the top of the bottle.
The oil is only available from a Jeep dealer, I checked.
I top mine up about once a year, So far I have added over 1 quart. My left rear axle seal weeps.
I put a 2X10 chamfered at both ends under all 4 wheels to give me enough room. I don't trust jack stands.
My Jeep dealer lets me do it on their quick lube rack for free.
You only have 1 fill plug and it is the easy one to remove.
Wipe the metal filings off of the magnet in the fill plug.
I am encouraged somebody has finally figured out it is important to check the RDU oil level periodically.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
You really do have a TH. Helps if I read your post.
The left fill plug is difficult for me to remove because the exhaust pipe is in the way.
Usually I just fill the right side and the oil migrates to the left side.
Haven't figured out why, but it seems to happen.

·
Registered
923 Posts
its for fuel economy and while I'd recommend replacing with the same.. you could top off with whatever the thinnest gl-5 gear oil you can find.

75w85 seems to be getting more common and 75w-90 is everywhere.

This might be a good time to change the gear oil?

I'd just find the right stuff at the dealer it only holds a small amount.

·
Registered
610 Posts
its for fuel economy and while I'd recommend replacing with the same.. you could top off with whatever the thinnest gl-5 gear oil you can find.

75w85 seems to be getting more common and 75w-90 is everywhere.

This might be a good time to change the gear oil?

I'd just find the right stuff at the dealer it only holds a small amount.
This. Just like the oil in your crankcase.. In a pinch.. You could use any oil weight to top off.

Finding the specific oil if you completely drained the diffy makes sense tho..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
610 Posts
Anyone with a service manual care to post the step by step for Diff fluid replacement? Plenty of GRAND Cherokee DIY vids on YT.. But no 2014 KL Trailhawk specific. TIA.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I need to get around to checking my seals and diff oil level.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts