2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished the 3 inch mfc and dobinson lift on my 2015 trailhawk and had no issues after test driving it. However I got an alignment done and now each time I hit the gas I hear a clicking coming from the back right. So I had the shop bring it back in and look at it. They came to the conclusion that the lift was too much for it and the rear cv axle is just binding. I contacted rocky road outfitters who said that it was not a common issue with this lift and was the first they heard of this issue (I emailed MFC and got no response). Does anyone any idea what is going on or am I going to have to tear the rear apart to see what is going on? I'm worried I will pull it apart and the find out there is an issue with my diff.

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
However I got an alignment done and now each time I hit the gas I hear a clicking coming from the back right.
Imagine that??? I tried to warn you, but what the hell do I know???馃槵馃槑

Edit-
I guess it wasn't you since this was your first post. You should have come here first before you did that. There's literally hundreds of threads about the goods, the bads, and the ugly of lifting our Cherokees. Welcome from Utah!!!馃槑

Registered
I just finished the 3 inch mfc and dobinson lift on my 2015 trailhawk and had no issues after test driving it. However I got an alignment done and now each time I hit the gas I hear a clicking coming from the back right. So I had the shop bring it back in and look at it. They came to the conclusion that the lift was too much for it and the rear cv axle is just binding. I contacted rocky road outfitters who said that it was not a common issue with this lift and was the first they heard of this issue (I emailed MFC and got no response). Does anyone any idea what is going on or am I going to have to tear the rear apart to see what is going on? I'm worried I will pull it apart and the find out there is an issue with my diff.
I guess you didn't listen to Mr. MFC either. Guess you're gonna need $4000 worth of axles now...馃槵馃槑

Registered
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess you didn't listen to Mr. MFC either. Guess you're gonna need $4000 worth of axles now...馃槵馃槑

MFC only sell the front CV not the rear. I am aware I will most likely have to replace the front with the RCV axle but I am going to wait for the front to tear before I cross that bridge. The issue is there is no fix right now for the rear CV. MFC is going to make a subframe drop in the rear to help with the angle. However the rear CV is not even near the max angle and still has a lot of travel. So my question is not should I lift it, it is what do I look for when troubleshooting this issue? Clearly lifting any car with CV axles is dumb, but what is more dumb is jeep putting CV axles on what was a great platform to modify and off-road.

Registered
That's exactly why most of us around here will agree, a properly installed 2 inch lift is safe, reliable, and sufficient. Going to 3 inch GREATLY reduces the reliability, and greatly increases premature wear and tear. Also, you don't really gain any more clearance for larger tires than what's possible on a 2" lift. I run the MFC 2", RWCK, and the reinforcement top strut collars, with 245/70/17's, and I have zero issues, and go anywhere any other Cherokee can go. It's the perfect KL setup as far as I'm concerned. Like I said, there's probably a hundred threads about the success, and the failures of lifting our Cherokees on here...馃槑

Registered
I believe the right rear CV is the shortest in length/steepest angle joint on the KL platform. However I have seen KL dudes running the 3鈥 with seemingly no issues鈥nless they鈥檙e just lying about it lol

Reactions: Flybynightcru

Registered
I believe the right rear CV is the shortest in length/steepest angle joint on the KL platform. However I have seen KL dudes running the 3鈥 with seemingly no issues鈥nless they鈥檙e just lying about it lol
A few have had much better luck than others, but it's still not a case of if, it's still when that premature wear is going to catch up. It's the same with any lift, stuff is going to wear out quicker than if you kept it at the stock ride height. We're all doomed eventually...馃槈馃槑

1 - 8 of 8 Posts