2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

161 - 180 of 185 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Surtrack axles, CH-8299/CH-8298 might be cheap trail insurance, $63.79 (front axles only). https://www.carid.com/videosglobal/surtrack/info/video/cv-axles_720p.mp4

Cardone is another chinese brand.

If you are looking at cheap axles (i.e. made in China), then make sure you do your research and get the proper length and spline count. Check and double-check!
CH-8299__ra_p.jpg

Looking forward to the high-lift option with increased ROM from Surtrack/Trakmotive.

Screenshot 2020-09-19 133609.jpg

·
Registered
50 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well this was a rollercoaster of a thread... I just joined this community for some insights but seems this product has some people torn. I'm lifting my trailhawk 3" and don't want to be stranded on the trail or road from a failed cv (ive never personally been around when a cv had failed) and thought when I found these cv's a few months back I believed it was a clear solution to my worries. However reading these debates I'm unsure this product will be a solution. I think I am still going to go with the rcv "upgrade" but I still don't understand why they don't make rears. Also does anyone have a 3" lift who doesn't recommend oem? If so what do you suggest? Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Subframe spacers, aka isolators, have been out for years and decades. See photo of a 3" isolator on a 2016 KL TH.
Screenshot_20210106-074647.png
Screenshot_20210106-074019.png
What's new is MFC trying to get in on the action.

Be VERY careful about dropping the rear subframe. Driveshaft alignment is critical to prevent excessive angles on the two intermediate joints. Jair had to use spacers on the driveshaft brackets, trailing arms, etc. in an effort to get the alignment correct and prevent excessive angles on the CV joints. In the end, the Fox shocks gave more articulation and lift, but component (all joints and RMD) wear was greater than expected. It was good for photos but not long lasting; certainly NOT for a daily driver. Jair's rig was strictly for offroading and he trailered it to the trails.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
There is only 1 3" lift its MFC combined with Dobinson Struts and Springs, RCV didn't make the rear axles not enough interest, the solution to the rear is a subframe drop with spacers which is coming out soon.
Not sure why RCV doesn't make rear axles given they invested the resources in making front axles. The hubs and spline are the same for front and rear. What is different is the shaft length, which is an easy variable to change out, IMHO. Also note there is an intermediate axle on the driver rear.

I suspect it is more of an economic issue. That is they have yet to break even on the front axle R&D effort and the anticipated volume was not realized. Common story for all KL after market components. :confused:

In addition, the OEM rear axles are fairly cheap to replace. About $270 vs. $580 for the front. Check any of the online MOPAR sites. I like RockAuto.com and Group1auto.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So just to clarify if i had a 3" lift if i don't drop my sub frame all the wear is on my cv's and all I need to worry about is blowing a cv? Or is there other considerations I am unaware of?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
So just to clarify if i had a 3" lift if i don't drop my sub frame all the wear is on my cv's and all I need to worry about is blowing a cv? Or is there other considerations I am unaware of?
I think there's way more to it than that. Anything over 2 inches WILL create excessive wear on the WHOLE drivetrain. If you are going to use the Cherokee for anything other than 100% offroad, then just put the 2 inch lift, and the rear wheel centering kit, and be done with it. If you want to A, lose your warranty, B, spend a lot of money constantly replacing suspension and drivetrain parts, among other things, than go crazy. It's your money...😎

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you for your concern! I guess I'm just not understanding why my whole drive train will be receiving more wear from the lift because the only angle change will be in my cv's. So my question is, if i lift my cherokee 3" and don't lower my sub frame is there anything other than my cv's that will take extra wear?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Thank you for your concern! I guess I'm just not understanding why my whole drive train will be receiving more wear from the lift because the only angle change will be in my cv's. So my question is, if i lift my cherokee 3" and don't lower my sub frame is there anything other than my cv's that will take extra wear?
Literally everything suspension, and driveline related will be susceptible to premature wear. It's simply geometry. Nothing on any KL is designed to accept more than a 2 inch spacer lift, and even those can create issues with improper installation. There's literally hundreds of posts about the reasoning about it on here, use the search bar...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the lecture and not answering my question. I used the search bar and found this thread. I didn't find a solution to my problem so i asked some questions to find if there is a solution to rear cv wear after a 3" lift other than a sub frame drop or to see if it is a major problem that needs a solution. I was also curious if the other wear on my components was something i needed to be worried about. Should i just not ask questions and communicate with this community i just joined? Use some basic respect...

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Thanks for the lecture and not answering my question. I used the search bar and found this thread. I didn't find a solution to my problem so i asked some questions to find if there is a solution to rear cv wear after a 3" lift other than a sub frame drop or to see if it is a major problem that needs a solution. I was also curious if the other wear on my components was something i needed to be worried about. Should i just not ask questions and communicate with this community i just joined? Use some basic respect...
I'm not lecturing, and I did tell you. Would you like a complete, itemized list of components, because I can do that...LOL!!! I'm done, do what you want, it's your money. Good luck with that...

Reactions: OhareFred

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm not lecturing, and I did tell you. Would you like a complete, itemized list of components, because I can do that...LOL!!! I'm done, do what you want, it's your money. Good luck with that...
Listen I'm just trying to mitigate the problems with the 3" lift by tackling the biggest problems first and your reply was so basic and uninformative it did nothing to help find some solutions. I did not intend on being a problem by posting questions in this thread and by you telling me to use the search bar was rude and I don't believe was called for. i joined yesterday I have be reading and searching this forum rather quickly. Plus the time I spend reading before i decided to join and post to find more solutions. I am sorry I was rude in response.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Literally everything suspension, and driveline related will be susceptible to premature wear. It's simply geometry.
@Flybynightcru is correct. I've posted a long laundry list of drive train, steering and suspension components, front and rear, that are affected by lifting a KL. Go to any MOPAR parts website and look at the schematics. Any OEM part with a bushing, bearing or joint will wear faster with a lift. You just need to accept that and be ready to replace said parts if you want the lift. There is no magic pill that prevents wear.

In addition to the above systems, the RDM and PTU are also at risk; depending on how you use the 4Low and lockers.

Note that the half-shaft axles are considered part of the drive line, aka power train.
upgrading.jpg

·
Registered
710 Posts
Subframe spacers, aka isolators, have been out for years and decades. See photo of a 3" isolator on a 2016 KL TH. View attachment 212894 View attachment 212895 What's new is MFC trying to get in on the action.

Be VERY careful about dropping the rear subframe. Driveshaft alignment is critical to prevent excessive angles on the two intermediate joints. Jair had to use spacers on the driveshaft brackets, trailing arms, etc. in an effort to get the alignment correct and prevent excessive angles on the CV joints. In the end, the Fox shocks gave more articulation and lift, but component (all joints and RMD) wear was greater than expected. It was good for photos but not long lasting; certainly NOT for a daily driver. Jair's rig was strictly for offroading and he trailered it to the trails.
wow that looks silly. Not doing that to my cherokee.

Reactions: OhareFred
161 - 180 of 185 Posts