2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

141 - 160 of 185 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Hmmm, all quiet on the Eastern front. What up with those RCV axles?

Rumor has it that the spline alignment is not good. Any first hand information?

·
Premium Member
3,213 Posts
I might have first hand information. RCV axles = strong for racing applications. 2800RPM FWD launches and dead hooking with drag radials won't break them:wink:

It's always fun to ask questions when the person you are asking questions to can't answer :confused:

The circ clip retention groove was a few thousandth too big. He is sending back for it to be put back on the lathe to rectify.

·
Registered
143 Posts
RCV Axles?????

Has anyone got any information on the RCV axles that we’re suppose to be available? I don’t get any replies from the current distributor.

·
Premium Member
3,213 Posts
Update on RCV Axles

Installation of prototype axles.

Installation is straight forward and very simple. An hour per side and can be done at home. No cons whatsoever. A few adjustments on boot length will be done but other than that time to put some miles of the only prototype ever made for the Cherokee KL.

As for the adjustments needed needed on the boots. The boots are too "long" causing the outer fins to bind on the boot which will lead to premature wear. A revision is being made so the final axles don't have this issue.

The axles will be available from MFC Offroad once the adjustments have been made.

·
Registered
35 Posts
From what I have seen they are going to make these for the *fronts* only. The reason I saw stated was that the fronts fail much more often than the rears. Again, this is only what I have read on the internet I cannot vouch this is 100% correct.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
The OEM axles don't fail, the boots fail. The RCV design is to give more range of motion so the struts can be offset further, thus giving more ground clearance to the front. The rear axles have the same spline on the wheel bearing side and PTU; hence, only the center shaft length is different. So why are the rear axles not offered?

The decision to work on the front is more economics. When the OEM front shafts only cost $254 each, it wasn't worth the trouble. Just change the axle if the boot goes bad. Now that they sell for about $583 each that's a harder pill to swallow. Given the new axles are about $1150 each, although still too pricey, the ROM enhancement could justify the cost for some customers.

I won't be part of the beta testing. I will be replacing the OEM boots to a more robust design.

·
Premium Member
3,213 Posts
@Tyler-98-W68, whatever happened to these axles? DOA?

Zero info on RCV and MFC websites.
Not DOA

Buy them

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Not DOA

Buy them
Did you? I am pretty sure I will not for the reasons noted in posts 97, 104 and 140 of this thread.

Interesting the owner had to write his own review with incorrect info. IFS axles can be rebuilt for $35/boot plus 4 hours/axle labor; personal experience. Given that these are front axles only (left and right are the same, 52123739AF for TH), the OEM replacement cost is $537.65 plus $50 core charge via MOPAR (refundable) plus 1.5 hour labor. The $147/hr labor must be East coast pricing. My local shop and dealers are $75-$90/hr. Alignment (~$90) is needed whether it is DIY, hired out, boots only or full axle. As noted in other posts, the passenger rear axle is the shortest with the most severe angles. This is the axle that needs the 42° CV joint.

RCV axle comments.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,213 Posts
Stop dwelling in the past with your post numbers. Look to the future for the platform. You were gung-ho for a solution, and now that the solution is here, your looking to validate not buying them. Rest assured, a solution is already manufactured for the rear and under field testing as we speak. And it is not axle based. It’s better and also being developed by the famous MFC Offroad

·
Premium Member
3,213 Posts
How are the cv’s rebuildable? There are no aftermarket products available to repurpose the OEM axle. Did you put a boot not made for the Cherokees design. Can you please enlighten everyone here with your knowledge on what it takes to replace a CV on the oem axle? Where can we get a replacement CV. The boot as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Exploded a CV yesterday on a trail (front passenger). Debating the upgrade to RCV vs OEM replacement. Anyone running the new RCVs yet? Any community feedback for them?

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I didn't - will that work, for future reference? Wasn't getting any power to the other wheels, so my buddy pulled me to the highway with his Tacoma and picked up a tow truck from there.

141 - 160 of 185 Posts