2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had my AFE Intake kit for a while now for the 2.4L Cherokee and while I do love the sound and the little extra oomph from it, The rattle/vibration I get at certain RPM's is/has been driving me crazy. Is there anything to do to keep it from rattling like it does? Is it the actual intake tube that runs along the firewall that is the culprit?

·
Registered
69 Posts
So I have had my AFE Intake kit for a while now for the 2.4L Cherokee and while I do love the sound and the little extra oomph from it, The rattle/vibration I get at certain RPM's is/has been driving me crazy. Is there anything to do to keep it from rattling like it does? Is it the actual intake tube that runs along the firewall that is the culprit?
Are you convinced it’s a vibration audible sound caused by moving air resonance from the intake charge piping or do you think it’s caused from a point physically somewhere on the AFE intake system that intermittently comes in direct contact with a physical point on the Jeep’s engine/chassis/other component(s)?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you convinced it’s a vibration audible sound caused by moving air resonance from the intake charge piping or do you think it’s caused from a point physically somewhere on the AFE intake system that intermittently comes in direct contact with a physical point on the Jeep’s engine/chassis/other component(s)?
I'm sure its coming from the Intake itself resonating with something. The intake tube isn't coming into contact with anything that I can see, but I'm wondering if the vibration from the intake is just making its way up the windshield to the roof, because that is where I hear the noise coming from, when I step on the gas.

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
1,010 Posts
I have the 2.4L engine with a K&N air intake and have no noticeable vibration at all.

The intake tube on mine is aluminum and not flexible, so virtually no movement, but I don't know about yours. Is it completely secure at the throttle body and the air filter surround? If so, maybe it's possible that you could use a stainless strap or clamp to secure it to the engine compartment sidewall or some other place? The solution should be fairly simple.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the 2.4L engine with a K&N air intake and have no noticeable vibration at all.

The intake tube on mine is aluminum and not flexible, so virtually no movement, but I don't know about yours. Is it completely secure at the throttle body and the air filter surround? If so, maybe it's possible that you could use a stainless strap or clamp to secure it to the engine compartment sidewall or some other place? The solution should be fairly simple.
Yeah, I think i noticed a couple weeks back when I was looking at it, that the tube that runs along the firewall under the windshield, doesn't seem to line up just right and stay where it needs to. I might need to disassemble and make sure that is nice and snug, although I have heard that this is a common complaint with this setup. Just seems like there should be a solution, because when I step on it and get the rpms up pretty high, It just vibrates the whole roof.

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
1,010 Posts
That could definitely be the problem - I've got almost the exact setup and no intake vibration.

The other thought about this is, if the air tube is not seated properly on the throttle body, then the engine is either not getting sufficient air volume or it's getting unfiltered air and both are not good.

When I installed the K&N, I removed the engine cover and actually sat on top of the left fender with my feet on the exhaust manifold cover and positioned the tube evenly on the TB and secured it.

Don't forget: when you get everything right, perform a throttle re-learn process.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That could definitely be the problem - I've got almost the exact setup and no intake vibration.

The other thought about this is, if the air tube is not seated properly on the throttle body, then the engine is either not getting sufficient air volume or it's getting unfiltered air and both are not good.

When I installed the K&N, I removed the engine cover and actually sat on top of the left fender with my feet on the exhaust manifold cover and positioned the tube evenly on the TB and secured it.

Don't forget: when you get everything right, perform a throttle re-learn process.
I will try and take apart this weekend and reposition and make sure everything is right. Also could you explain that last part about the throttle re-learn process?

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
1,010 Posts
Flybynight has you covered, but basically it's when you've made any performance modifications, a throttle re-learn will 'teach' or adjust the ECU to include those changes you've made.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts