2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey! Not sure if this is the right forum but here goes. While washing my '15 Cherokee Sport I popped the hood and took a look around, lots of exposed wires, lots of nooks and crannies and..... Lots of animal hair and rat poop sitting on the battery cover and the plastic shroud over the engine. I know from a mechanic friend, that certain cars are more prone to being inhabited by critters and Honda Fit, for one, is notorious for having tranny wires chewed by mice, which renders them incapable of moving. So here's the question....anyone else notice animals in your engine compartment? I have noticed the occasional burning smell when the heater is on. Now I am wondering if rats might be the crux of a lot of problems that show up on these forums. There's a lot of exposed wires on these cars. One chew and something is disconnected or shorting out.

I guess the bigger question is, what do you do about it? Short of buying a house with a garage. Or introducing a small cat to the engine compartment.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
thats a tough one. maybe park in different spot. i had mice in my garage and under hood of 90 miata which doesnt drive much. had a mouse relocation program for about a week and no more problem.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts

I guess the bigger question is, what do you do about it? Short of buying a house with a garage. Or introducing a small cat to the engine compartment.
$800 mouse: Had a motorhome with a house generator. A mouse made a grassy nest in the small space between the engine part and generator part. The next attempt to start the generator broke it. The part that broke was a plastic rotor, like the one in a distributor, that cost less than $5. After removing the door and electrical and a fuel line, the generator had to be unbolted and removed from the side of the motorhome with a forklift. The engine part was separated from the generator part to replace the rotor.

This is a typical problem with motorhomes because they tend to sit for long periods of time. I'm surprised you have an issue with a car that is moved more frequently. But you're dealing with rats which I am not. I use d-CON and mothballs. Mice don't like the smell of mothballs and they have snacked on the d-CON from time to time and that's the end of that. Have to be careful that dogs/cats can't get to where the d-CON is sitting. I put it on top of the generator where a dog/cat can't get to. Removing the poison and mothballs is on my checklist of things to do before taking off in the motorhome. Not something I'd want to do every time I took off in a car.

·
Super Moderator
7,374 Posts
Second the mothballs, use them when storing antique cars for the winter. I would not recommend putting them in the engine bay though, at least at first, because they can create a very strong lingering smell in some materials.

Maybe a tray of mothballs under the engine when parked (if the space is under cover and you can leave them) will do the trick. And with moth balls, there is not a worry of animals getting poisoned, as they are not tasty to them...

·
Registered
754 Posts
I had a mouse problem with my 2001 Stratus coupe while in the garage. It started smelling like bad goulash when warmed up. It turned out the mice had gotten into the dog food and were storing it under the V6 intake manifold. Got nice and stinky with a hot engine.

Then one day I turned the heater on and the blower vibrated the whole dash. After I took it apart, it turned out that the mice had been storing dog food in the squirrel cage blower up under the dash, throwing it off balance.

So I put the dog food in steel garbage can to solve that problem. Someone told me that mice are repelled by dryer sheets (Like Bounce), so I placed them in the car and in areas of the engine compartment where they wouldn't catch fire. It might be an old wives tale but I felt like I was doing something. No more mouse problems but it was probably because they couldn't get at the dog food.

Reactions: Ronin38 and Mudman1

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I had a mouse problem with my 2001 Stratus coupe while in the garage. It started smelling like bad goulash when warmed up. It turned out the mice had gotten into the dog food and were storing it under the V6 intake manifold. Got nice and stinky with a hot engine.

Then one day I turned the heater on and the blower vibrated the whole dash. After I took it apart, it turned out that the mice had been storing dog food in the squirrel cage blower up under the dash, throwing it off balance.

So I put the dog food in steel garbage can to solve that problem. Someone told me that mice are repelled by dryer sheets (Like Bounce), so I placed them in the car and in areas of the engine compartment where they wouldn't catch fire. It might be an old wives tale but I felt like I was doing something. No more mouse problems but it was probably because they couldn't get at the dog food.
Made the dog happy also.

Reactions: Dodgeboy

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
Have not had any mice issues with the TH, but this is what I found last year in my 2005 Honda ST 1300. Wonder why it wouldn't start...

Attachments

Reactions: Mudman1

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I for one, don't mind the smell of mothballs. Reminds me of my mom's house. But I will also try the bounce sheets. The gross part was the burned rat pee and poo that ran off the engine shroud on to the exhaust heat shield. The smell of burning hair when the heater is on high, makes me wonder if they are further into the car than just the engine compartment. I'm trying to think like a rat, to see where they would like to be, but I can only get my head in so far.

Thanks for the ideas!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
I like your cat idea the best :)

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
You can also set off a bug / smoke bomb when you think they are active. Then have your 12GA or .410 handy and get those communists. I do not have any mice or rat problems where I hang my hat. I have flying squirrels who like to live in the roof all year round...and wasps in the spring and summer. I spend a LOT of money on wasp spray each year. I would not bother them if they were in the woods. But they like to make a hive / nest where I work and poop so they gotta go. One sting and I am in for a bad day.

I suggest setting up the commercial mice / rat traps. There is also the old school method. Get a 5 gallon bucket, drill 2 holes on the sides. Put a pop can on a dial rod and put the rod through the bucket holes. Put a little ramp up to the bucket lid. Put peanut butter on the pop can. Fill the bucket with anti-freeze.

Other than burning the place down, I am out of effective ideas. Good luck.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting ideas from everyone, especially the old school bucket trap. I moved my vehicle, though I can't move it far. The rat didn't come back yet, at least there's no evidence under the hood.

Thanks for the input.

I'm liking the smoke bomb and 12 gauge idea. Might give the service guys at Chrysler a fright too if I video the Cherokee with smoke pouring out of the engine bay

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have not had any mice issues with the TH, but this is what I found last year in my 2005 Honda ST 1300. Wonder why it wouldn't start...
A sad fate for any bike, even a honda :)

My bikes too exposed for any critters to want to make it a home

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
The garage is relatively new and pretty secure. I was amazed when I took the bike apart and found this nest. Now that my neighbors have a few "stray" cats, the mouse problem has been taken care of.

·
Registered
46 Posts
When I was stationed in Germany, there was a problem with ferrets running around and chewing up spark plug wires (engine bay for warmth and apparently spark plug wires are sweet). What we did was took dog hair, place it in a ziplock bag and poked some holes in it. The smell from the dog hair gave the vermin the impression that a dog was near by and they would leave the car alone.

An inexpensive fix.

Reactions: Array

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 jeep cherokee sport

Mice problem under the hood of the engine. Does anyone else have this problem and since the car is still under warranty isn't this a fault of how the car was built? Help what can be done without driving with poison under your hood? Any effective ways of removing them for good? Any ideas and advice much appreciated.....
Dillon

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey! Not sure if this is the right forum but here goes. While washing my '15 Cherokee Sport I popped the hood and took a look around, lots of exposed wires, lots of nooks and crannies and..... Lots of animal hair and rat poop sitting on the battery cover and the plastic shroud over the engine. I know from a mechanic friend, that certain cars are more prone to being inhabited by critters and Honda Fit, for one, is notorious for having tranny wires chewed by mice, which renders them incapable of moving. So here's the question....anyone else notice animals in your engine compartment? I have noticed the occasional burning smell when the heater is on. Now I am wondering if rats might be the crux of a lot of problems that show up on these forums. There's a lot of exposed wires on these cars. One chew and something is disconnected or shorting out.

No one is finding the root cause of why rats are attracted to jeeps ! Im in over 10K in damages already on a brand new jeep. Problem is I have 3 other cars that sit in the exact location the jeep has sat in for 60 days with out ever having an issue ! Why are rats thinking new cars are food ? are their products in the outer coating of the wires th
at need to be eliminated ? any one else having issues ?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Maybe you could try spraying Critter Ridder in the engine compartment, under the car in the wheel wells etc. (Not that I know, but just a thought).

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
In the quest of being green, automotive companies are using soybean oil in their wire insulation. Yum for the rodents!

·
Registered
960 Posts
I've repaired damage from folks who live in the woodsy areas that at don't drive them every day. Dryer sheets have proved to effective for them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts