2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
He did, he bought $4500 worth of RCV axles, and they're toast!!!馃槑
Ahhh, didn't realize they came with CVJs attached... I'm a bit old school, when you lift, you add width, to keep the angles within spec...
Frame lifts were so much simpler...

Reactions: Flybynightcru

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
Ahhh, didn't realize they came with CVJs attached... I'm a bit old school, when you lift, you add width, to keep the angles within spec...
Frame lifts were so much simpler...
They all come with the CV's, and even the cheap ones ain't cheap!!! Learned the hard way on the Can Am, lowered it 2 inches, still does everything it did before, except eating axles!!!馃槑

Registered
^^^ Thanks for that! I just searched for RCV axles, and found www.rcvperformance.com, guess they assume one knows the dets...

Reactions: Flybynightcru

Registered
Personally i'd remove the 3 inch lift before you run into more issues. The basic design of a 3 inch lift that works looks much different for ifs and ifr as they are angled twice to provide the lift and proper angles for the cv axles which we don't currently have available to us yet. 2 inch would be the safest lift until they make either the control arms or different cv axles that can take the extreme angles you are currently putting it in.

Registered
So i've confirmed he does have HD springs, which would in fact make it a 4" lift which means it doesn't work nor is it recommended and this is exactly the reason why.
Why I said this is the most extreme lift on a KL I've ever seen, and that was determined just by looking at the picture, before I even read what all he had done...馃槑

Registered
Followup, did you fix it? Or have a plan to fix

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Wow. Thank you all for the comments and straight forward honesty. I missed the notification emails somehow of the posts. Appreciate all the comments. I do plan on getting the RRO bumper and winch, just put the cart before the horse. Huge learning experience that's for sure. I do know a guy running same MFC+ 3" lift kit w/ HD springs, Fox shocks, but with stock RCVs and front bump kit and no problems. He also has a Trailhawk. We talked quite a bit and I also reached out to Jesse Lambros MFC owner. Also talked with Christian at RCV.
Got Jeep back to the dealer, it got put on the rack. Tech said all looked good. Except the left RCV from RCV Perfomance. Tech said it was clicking like something loose inside. RCV said that was normal. The measurements were 1.0 and .999. He stated just drive it.. break in period is 5000 miles. Mentioned(jokingly) I should go jump it, reassuring me that the RCVs were tough and made for heavy duty rock crawling.
Consensus - Drive it and see if noise subsides or gets worse.
Jesse Lambros thought it could be wheel bearing as he said he had to change out his.. mainly because of the higher mileage. He mentioned the HD springs and with no extra weight(250lbs) may be what's causing RCVs or bearings or driveline to make the noise.
Under 30mph... There is a very faint sound if any of clicking. Once over 30mph, accelerating and decelerating is when the racheting, diesel engine idling, jake brake sound starts. I have a video of it. Need to figure out how I can share it on here.
My apologies to you all, I have been working 12 hour Nightshifts the passed few days and sorry for my late response. I am hoping to drop by Summit Off-road in Prescott on Wednesday and have them check it out.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Any difference in sound while turning?
No difference when turning now.. there was at first I heard creaking and popping in the rear. This morning make a tight U-turn.. turning wheels all the way and there was no sound. Nice and smooth.
I thought I read a couple of members combined Dobinsons and the MFC kits????
Wouldn't that be over 3"? (Not really sure) Wait, is this MFC PLUS 3"s???
Yes. On the website www.mfcoffroad.com this is the MFC+ 3" lift just upgraded from Dobinson shocks to Fox and HD vs regular Dobinson springs.

Registered
No difference when turning now.. there was at first I heard creaking and popping in the rear. This morning make a tight U-turn.. turning wheels all the way and there was no sound. Nice and smooth.

Yes. On the website www.mfcoffroad.com this is the MFC+ 3" lift just upgraded from Dobinson shocks to Fox and HD vs regular Dobinson springs.
I'd really like to see the numbers from the alignment shop. Have you even done the alignment yet???馃槑

Registered
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I'd really like to see the numbers from the alignment shop. Have you even done the alignment yet???馃槑
Dealer did the alignment. On way back to them, I checked on smooth straight road(no hands) it drove straight as an arrow, no pulling or wobbling... I was happy to see that was good.

UPDATE..

Soo yep.. Yesterday driving to work. Something let loose or released, no power to any wheels. I was able to coast rest of way to work, thankful the road downhill rest of the way.
This morning I let my cousin know I'm getting it towed in on Wednesday. He is thinking it might be the left RCV performance axle that he already had told RCV performance it was making this clicking and sound of loose parts inside. Wellll... now we will find out what it was.
It's bit disheartening to me.. that a guy on Instagram _thysser, has his Trailhawk..(check it out). He has same lift.. still using factory RCVs and no rear wheel centering kit.. and has never had an issue. His ride looks pretty sweet.
We as human beings are always learning.. it's part of our journey here.. and in the end.. all is energy.. money is energy and in our human experience it's just an exchange.. at least now I and all working on it(myself, dealer, Jesse Lambros, RCV performance, my followers on Instagram) will all learn something.
And looks like I will be doing some exchanging LOL. If that's what it takes.
Regardless, I want this look that I've seen so many do with the KL Trailhawk.
I waited a year to get my parts for the lift from MFC and axles from RCV. What ever it is that needs fixing or to make it happen... I want to do it. After all, it's only a material thing.
Appreciate all of you. Thank you all for your comments.

Registered
it drove straight as an arrow, no pulling or wobbling... I was happy to see that was good.
That doesn't say a whole lot. Did they not give you a printout??? I'm curious to see the caster and camber numbers...Hope you get that drivetrain issue figured out. Good luck, and keep us posted...馃槑

Premium Member
Don't listen to a single thing that yasser guy posts. He's full of **** and a liar. He also doesn't do anything remotely off road with his vehicle either. He also made the mistake of using HD springs in the front when you aren't supposed to when you don't have additional weight.

Or maybe he has no problems because of his "secret custom lift" which includes subframe drops and all hand made......Guy's a huge rolling dumpster fire, but that's for another discussion

Registered
Alrighty then...That's kinda the whole point I've been trying get across since the first post, just because someone sells the stuff, and a handful have done it, mostly for show BTW, doesn't mean it's going to be successful, and even close to even a little bit functional, but hell, what do we know Tyler???馃馃槑

Registered
Or maybe he has no problems because of his "secret custom lift" which includes subframe drops and all hand made......Guy's a huge rolling dumpster fire, but that's for another discussion
Now that's funny!!! Ask him why he's not on here with us??? I'd love to see that Cherokee show up in Moab one day, we'd all have fun with ol Timothy...I bet could get him to break something on the first trail trying to follow me. First place I'd take him would be up to the Rim. There's no towing it back down from up there...LOL!!!馃槑

Registered
Definitely a boulevard cruiser.
The only off-road that thing might be able to survive is a putting green... :ROFLMAO:

Registered
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk V6

21 - 40 of 40 Posts