2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk installed with MFC+ 3" lift, Fox shocks, Dobinson springs and RCV axles. There is a ratcheting, graveling sound that increases and slows with speed. I have a video of it I will try to find a way to post it. Sounds horrible. I can feel a little pulsing in the gas pedal and slightly in the steering wheel. Any one else experience this and what did you do to fix?

·
Registered
946 Posts
I recommend you contact MFC since they are likely the only other people on earth with this setup.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
3,341 Posts
I just had my 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk installed with MFC+ 3" lift, Fox shocks, Dobinson springs and RCV axles. There is a ratcheting, graveling sound that increases and slows with speed. I have a video of it I will try to find a way to post it. Sounds horrible. I can feel a little pulsing in the gas pedal and slightly in the steering wheel. Any one else experience this and what did you do to fix? View attachment 214521
OMFG!!! I'm guessing it's the axles, and or the rest of the driveline self destructing!!! You should have come here long before you decided to do all that...Good luck with all that!!!😮😬😎

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
I thought I read a couple of members combined Dobinsons and the MFC kits????
Wouldn't that be over 3"? (Not really sure) Wait, is this MFC PLUS 3"s???

Reactions: AnvilTrailhawk77

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
I’m gonna say the 3” lift is causing the noise in your driveline parts
There are a couple people on here that will disagree, but these KLs are not Wranglers.
There are quite a few people with 3" lifts without any issues, the axle sound is concerning especially with the RCV axles installed

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
That looks a lot more than 3" even with the stock destinations... No?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
If you in fact did install HD springs with no additional weight on the front end that = problems
Ya think??? Among other things!!! That's THE MOST "Mix n Match" lift I think that I have ever seen!!! That = DRAMA, which = VERY EXPENSIVE, BOUGHT LESSON!!! I've not seen anyone with over 2" lift that's not constantly replacing axles, steering components, and various other things, but hey, it's his money...I'll still go anywhere they're going, maybe farther, cuz their $#*ts broke down on the trail. Been there, done that, got the t shirt!!!😎

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
Ya think??? Among other things!!! That's THE MOST "Mix n Match" lift I think that I have ever seen!!! That = DRAMA, which = VERY EXPENSIVE, BOUGHT LESSON!!! I've not seen anyone with over 2" lift that's not constantly replacing axles, steering components, and various other things, but hey, it's his money...I'll still go anywhere they're going, maybe farther, cuz their $#*ts broke down on the trail. Been there, done that, got the t shirt!!!😎

I only had a 3" on my XJ running 30" tires. I could have run 31's, but then
you start messing with the gear ratio. From 225's to 30's I noticed a big
difference in take off/ low end power.

I could still make it up hills with open front and rear diffs where locked up
TJ's would struggle!

Exhibit #1

Oh this was a really wet steep hill. Took me 3 tries, where the others took a 1/2 dozen!

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I only had a 3" on my XJ running 30" tires. I could have run 31's, but then
you start messing with the gear ratio. From 225's to 30's I noticed a big
difference in take off/ low end power.

I could still make it up hills with open front and rear diffs where locked up
TJ's would struggle!

Exhibit #1

Oh this was a really wet steep hill. Took me 3 tries, where the others took a 1/2 dozen!

That was the joy of solid differentials, you can go in and change the gear pretty easily...LOL!!!😎

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
That was the joy of solid differentials, you can go in and change the gear pretty easily...LOL!!!😎

Exactly, I've done quite a few back in the day! :)

slide on bearings/races before I pressed the good ones on. YUKON!

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
756 Posts
^^^ Agreed, angles must be extreme (at or near limits), probably over stressing the CVs. If you just did this on a '14, even with average mileage, on that big of a lift I would have updated the CV joints as well...

Reactions: AnvilTrailhawk77

·
Registered
886 Posts
I would start by putting it in the air, lift stands whatever..
and carefully running it to find the noises.. if nothing jumps out from an inspection.

I guess you could hope for a carrier bearing or wheel bearing, but my $$$$ would be on the axles from their extreme angles.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts