2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received an assignment to Ellsworth AFB. Should be arriving about mid March. Can anyone tell me a little bit about the area?

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Just received an assignment to Ellsworth AFB. Should be arriving about mid March. Can anyone tell me a little bit about the area?
We camped a week in that area seven or so years ago. Not an expert since we're not local to the area. Very pretty and diverse geography. There is definitely plenty to see and do. Here's some of the things I can remember we did ....

- Camped at Rafter J Bar Ranch. One of the prettiest campgrounds we've stayed at.

- Mount Rushmore (National Memorial is a massive sculpture carved into Mt. Rushmore in the Black Hills region of South Dakota) for 4th of July. Fireworks were awesome.

- Desperado's Cowboy Restaurant in Hill City. There are plenty of good restaurants in Hill City. At the time I had fresh Perch dinner followed by the best Pecan pie ever. Prepared by an old cook that once cooked on cattle drives. He's probably gone now.

- And then there is the small town of Sturgis. Early August is transforms from a trinkets tourist town to a leather, chains, and bike parts rally with hundreds of thousands of bikers.

- Needles highway - Named after the high granite stone "needles" it winds among. Narrow roads and tunnel passes with switchbacks. Not for those with fear of heights. Beautiful 14 mile highway.

- Custer State Park and Wind Cave National Park - Plenty of wildlife such as buffalo, prairie dogs, donkeys running wild.

- Badlands National Park - sharply eroded buttes, pinnacles, and spires blended with the largest undisturbed mixed grass prairie in the United States.

- Plenty of native American history from the great plains.

- Then when you back up and look at surrounding states, you've got some badass typologies in Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, Utah, and on and on, if you can get time to experience, all without a passport.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey, I live about 45 minutes from Ellsworth along the Northern Hill in Spearfish. The area is very beautiful. A lot of good hiking, fishing, really any outdoor activities. Winter can be kind of a drag if you aren't into skiing or snowmobiling but you'll be here in March so you won't have to worry about that. Usually there's always something going on around the hills and usually everything is just an hour or 2 drive from Rapid at the furthest. Hope Ellsworth treats you well!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts