2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Also, remember, if anything comes loose off the vehicle you are snatching, it can become a deadly projectile toward you! be careful!
throw a coat over the cable / strap so if it breaks that weight will keep it from flying. from what I read at least

·
Registered
842 Posts
Yeah, a coat or medium/large size towel can be loosely tied around the middle of the cable. I once saw someone using extra tie-down straps- he hooked a strap onto each vehicle, went forward about 5 feet or so and wrapped the thin strap around the recovery strap a few times. Maybe overkill, but would stop something from flying away, for sure.

Reactions: Good1Brian

·
Registered
800 Posts
Even from my XJ days I'd put the loop inside the receiver,
then slide the hitch pin through. I'll never use thee ball. Mine
is only rated for 4500 pounds.
That's what I was taught. Put the end of the strap thru the receiver and then the hitch pin thru it. Never around the ball.

Reactions: XJ99

·
Registered
640 Posts
Or... use a chain. Less likely to snap back very far. Whatever is used. Keep away by at least 2x the tow distance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
One thing I forgot to point out is my Jeep has AS tires. In the snow is there even a point to trying to help people out?

·
Registered
10,333 Posts
One thing I forgot to point out is my Jeep has AT tires. In the snow is there even a point to trying to help people out?
If you are using a strap or rope that stretches enough, it's the energy in the cable/strap that will do the pulling, not so much your Jeep, so your traction is less of a factor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
My bad, I ment AS tire. I wish I could put AT on a limited but not alot of options for that tire size.

·
Registered
10,333 Posts
My bad, I ment AS tire. I wish I could put AT on a limited but not alot of options for that tire size.
AS, AT, ABCD... doesn't matter if you have energy in that rope or strap :grin:
If you want A/Ts on a Limited, one option is to go 17", but then you'd need new wheels too..

·
Registered
921 Posts
First hand account experience here:

Winter of 2017, I was driving home, and saw this 2000s Honda Accord that had found itself in the ditch on a 2-lane highway. Initially, I passed him, but then thought that maybe I could help. I got there, and by that point, the guys' family had arrived, and I offered to help tow them out. They supplied a rope that they were going to attach to-and not joking here, the exhaust pipe. I immediately told them that will just rip the exhaust out of the car, and insisted they do the torsion bar of the suspension instead.

The other end of the rope was attached to the rear recovery hook of my TH, and had the car in Snow Mode (this was during a snowstorm afterall), 4WD Low, and Rear Lock also. Perhaps I went overkill with the rear locker, but given how much snow was there, figured it was better safe than sorry. Pulled the car out without breaking a sweat. Gave them back their rope, they thanked me for helping them, and told them to have a good rest of their night.

So yeah, I'm not worried about the transmission when using the KL for pulling someone out of a ditch. Since then, I've pulled out tree stumps, as well as moved my Fiancee's dead Subaru Baja in her back yard. Interestingly, when I tried moving her Baja, I wanted to see if I could in 4High, but it could not do it really. Put it into 4Low, and moved it like it wasn't even there.

It's amazing how much power and torque you have with a low range gearbox. :)

Reactions: jim_87 and UN4GTBL

·
Registered
842 Posts
I used to have a Baja! Enjoyed it while I had it, too. :)

Reactions: Shoulder

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
First hand account experience here:

Winter of 2017, I was driving home, and saw this 2000s Honda Accord that had found itself in the ditch on a 2-lane highway. Initially, I passed him, but then thought that maybe I could help. I got there, and by that point, the guys' family had arrived, and I offered to help tow them out. They supplied a rope that they were going to attach to-and not joking here, the exhaust pipe. I immediately told them that will just rip the exhaust out of the car, and insisted they do the torsion bar of the suspension instead.

The other end of the rope was attached to the rear recovery hook of my TH, and had the car in Snow Mode (this was during a snowstorm afterall), 4WD Low, and Rear Lock also. Perhaps I went overkill with the rear locker, but given how much snow was there, figured it was better safe than sorry. Pulled the car out without breaking a sweat. Gave them back their rope, they thanked me for helping them, and told them to have a good rest of their night.

So yeah, I'm not worried about the transmission when using the KL for pulling someone out of a ditch. Since then, I've pulled out tree stumps, as well as moved my Fiancee's dead Subaru Baja in her back yard. Interestingly, when I tried moving her Baja, I wanted to see if I could in 4High, but it could not do it really. Put it into 4Low, and moved it like it wasn't even there.

It's amazing how much power and torque you have with a low range gearbox. :)
Good to know!

·
Registered
921 Posts
I used to have a Baja! Enjoyed it while I had it, too. :)
She did love hers until the head gaskets went...again. When she bought it several years ago, it had 150k miles on it or so, and within 5 years, she put an additional 150k miles on it. It currently has over 320k miles on it, which is mighty impressive for a Subaru built during a time when they had head gasket issues (they've been replaced I think twice in its life).

That's just the start though. Two of the doors won't open, some sensors have gone (ABS being only one of them), the rear differential needs new fluid, plus the whole car needs a new clutch. There are a few other things that would need sorting before it could be driveable again. In all, she's at the point where she just wants to scrap it for parts, or at the minimum, sell it as a parts car.

I have considered the possibility of doing all that work to get it working again (She has many of the parts already), but she's at the point where she doesn't want to bother. Then again, there are loads of good YouTube Channels out there that sort out cars that aren't working, so there's potential in that, but besides the Subaru enthusiasts, I don't think many would want to watch videos of some balding, lumberjacking bearded Millennial work on cars. And besides, we're going to sell her house in the spring, so we'll need to get rid of the car anyway. Maybe we can leave the Baja there as a housewarming gift for the next owner(s)? >:D

Reactions: jim_87

·
Registered
842 Posts
Do you have a picture of that Baja? Mine was Black/Silver and had the hard tonneau cover, also silver. I traded it in, in Oshkosh, WI! It would be hilarious if you have it now, although I'd be heartbroken to hear it's DOA. ;)
I put 75k miles on it myself.

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
I pulled someone I didn't know out of the ditch once. It was about 25 years ago. Only time Iv'e done it for someone that wasn't friends or family or someone local anyway. On my way home from work at Walmart in rural central MN. Heck, I didn't even really want to drive home the 22 miles, and my mother was pissed (more worried) I stayed working until we closed the store early.

As I leave Little Falls (decent size small town) I pass through the local Polish town of 100 people lol. Here's this village idiot from the cities driving a Geo Metro, well stuck partially in the ditch (whiteout and no way to see the road edge really). He was trying to plow his way through to get to friends or families house or something like that. There were no track on the road leaving Sobieski in that direction but his. I had a 1974 Chevy Cheyenne 3/4 ton with heavy duty tires on it that were new when I got the truck. They weren't off road tires but heavy 10 ply construction worker type tires with pretty good grip (narrow width). Anyway, I ask him where you going? He says so and so town. I'm like that's 30 minutes from here on a good day. I asked him how long did it take you to get from Little Falls to hear? About 1 1/2 hours. I busted out laughing. I go, that's only 4 miles back at most. I was just a kid then and he was probably 12-15 years older than me. He wasn't real thrilled when I laughed, I remember that.

He still planned on going through driving lol, that's with about a 8-12" of snow on the road with heavy drifting. He said he was going to follow my tracks as far as I went that was on his same route. The last I remember is seeing him take a running start at my tracks. That was from my rear view mirror I watched. After a couple hundred feet I didn't even see his lights even. I ended up taking a longer route home to avoid a small valley where a large creek ran through. I would never have made it up the hill. As it was I still had to get up a small hill right before our house. I had to put the truck in 4 LO and rev the piss out of it to get up it (this is a paved highway). It wouldn't have been so bad, but the drifts were so **** huge, it would sometimes cause the truck to almost die out from snow inhalation.

About a week later at the local watering hole, my step father heard that a farmer had to help a guy turn his Geo Metro around not far from where I pulled him out. It was just to hilarious how this guy told me his Geo Metro can go through about anything & this huge storm wouldn't be a problem. He was so dead serious about it, and then a kid (me) was laughing at him. I didn't mean to be disrespectful, but I couldn't help it.

This and the other first driving through snow thread on here brought back old memories LOL. This snow storm and the Halloween blizzard of 1991 I'll always remember well. A normal 25 minute at most drive still took me over 1 1/2 hours to get home (also pulled that guy out in that time period). My mother was stressed where I was. I think she even called the store I was working at looking for me.

Okay, I'm done with memory lane now lol.:laugh:

·
Registered
640 Posts
This and the other first driving through snow thread on here brought back old memories LOL. This snow storm and the Halloween blizzard of 1991 I'll always remember well. A normal 25 minute at most drive still took me over 1 1/2 hours to get home (also pulled that guy out in that time period). My mother was stressed where I was. I think she even called the store I was working at looking for me.

Okay, I'm done with memory lane now lol.:laugh:

Ahh yes, the Halloween blizzard of 1991. Who can forget it? I had a mint, black, 1987 Monte Carlo SS at the time. Went to a Halloween party and somehow I made it home that night....granted, it was only a couple miles. But I was also smart enough to leave before it got too bad. One of my friends left later, got stuck, and ended up sleeping in his car that night. haha

Reactions: load97

·
Registered
449 Posts
Ahh yes, the Halloween blizzard of 1991. Who can forget it? I had a mint, black, 1987 Monte Carlo SS at the time. Went to a Halloween party and somehow I made it home that night....granted, it was only a couple miles. But I was also smart enough to leave before it got too bad. One of my friends left later, got stuck, and ended up sleeping in his car that night. haha
That’s funny. But at least he didn’t drive any further. Bet the car was well insulated LOL

·
Registered
195 Posts
Tire chains help a lot.
Don't try to pull out anything bigger than you.
Slow and easy does it.
Jerking out the stuck vehicle will damage both vehicles.
Put cable restraint blankets on all pull cables, straps and ropes - THINGS FLY.
Look out for the crazies careening down the road!

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Slow and easy does it.
Jerking out the stuck vehicle will damage both vehicles.

Not if you are using the right snatch strap. Something will give,
and if you are using a good chain like I have, it won't be the chain.
On that note, I don't use a chain to recover vehicles. I use a good
quality snatch strap that is designed to build up kinetic energy
to aid in recovery. The first pull I take out all the slack. 2nd pull
I leave a little slack. 3rd attempt, a little more slack. If it takes
more than 3-4 tries just walk away. Usually snow/ditch recoveries
are pretty easy. Not like trying to recover a TJ that's dug in and buried.. 0.02

·
Registered
195 Posts
I seem to break a tow chain each year - mostly work chains that have worn down. They seem to go at around 8000lbf. Things tend to leap around.
Good excuse to buy new high strength load chains and toss the worn out ones.
Cars are pretty delicate when you hook up to them, they can bend very easily, ie. shifting low 1st to 2nd while towing a transam 'warped' it. lol
If you hook up to a 3/4 ton or heavier the weight difference won't work well for the KL even your 4 tire traction chains will be bent up. It's just time for a winch. Or a JD skidder.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts