2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
New to Jeep here. With people that have done it how durable is our transmission as far as pulling people out of the ditch during snow storms? I have upgraded tires on my Limited and I have the V6 with the tow package. Would you risk our already touchy tranny to help people out? Is it even worth the hassle to? I was looking at getting something like in the link below to help family that have cars.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/USA-Receiver-Accessories-Rhino-Receivers/dp/B06WLMF23C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1545404549&sr=8-4&keywords=trailer+hitch+tow+hook[/ame]

·
Registered
207 Posts
It should be fine. The Trailhawks have recovery hooks for this exact purpose. I'm not sure about the pros and cons of using the hitch as a recovery point, though. Someone with more knowledge could chime in.

·
Registered
842 Posts
To be honest, myself and some other people I know don't do this any more. Today's cars are all plastic front and rear ends, with NO good recovery points to attach to. Our Jeeps have recovery hooks, the majority of cars and SUV's out there do not. You risk causing damage to their cars, and people are too sue-happy these days. Leave it to the professionals, because they have the right equipment and are COVERED by their insurance if someone tries to sue them for damage.
Now, if someone is stuck in a risky spot where their life could be in danger, that's different, do what you can.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would only do it for family and only if it were safe to do so. Most of us have AAA but it sucks to deal with in the winter.

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
A few years ago, a coworker slid off the road in a snowstorm, and I was the only person at work that could possibly tow him out. I pulled in behind him (an older Ford Taurus (bathtub style)) and attached the factory tow strap to my front tow hook and his rear bumper bracket. I got back to the TH, placed it in 4WD low and reverse, and pulled him out like there was nothing attached to the Jeep. Easy-peasy...

That was the first and only time I've had to do that, but I would not hesitate to do it again, provided the conditions warranted it. Like @Ronin38 says, you do have to be careful, because there is a lot of things that can go wrong when you do this. My coworker was in a precarious position (busy, 2-lane road), so I thought that my help outweighed the danger.

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
I've pulled out quite a few vehicles out with my Jeeps in the past.
I only do it if I can find a recovery point ie: a hitch tied to the frame.
I've always used 4lo, and a snatch strap.

·
Registered
10,337 Posts
Like most here I'd say do it only for people close to you, don't go out looking for people to rescue... The frames on these crossover vehicles are not like the sturdy ladder frames we had on older SUVs... so any pulling, from any recovery point, is risky. One member here overdid it a bit and bent his hitch receiver. I've pulled someone out stuck in a little mud, sideways, with a shackle hitch accessory similar to that one from Amazon, adn didn't bend anything... I use a tow rope though, large diameter but plenty of stretch, so the rope works to pull while dampening some of the impact on the vehicles. Straps are virtually non stretching, so be careful when using those...

·
Registered
842 Posts
^ Yeah... that. :surprise:

·
Registered
842 Posts
^ Yeah... that. :surprise:

There were so many things they did wrong there, too. Jeez.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Also, remember, if anything comes loose off the vehicle you are snatching, it can become a deadly projectile toward you! be careful!

·
Registered
274 Posts
I use a tow rope though, large diameter but plenty of stretch, so the rope works to pull while dampening some of the impact on the vehicles. Straps are virtually non stretching, so be careful when using those...
I believe anything made for "towing" has little or no stretch where as ones made for "recovery" (rope or straps) have stretch.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I always stop to help. I rarely end up towing them out. Always seems to be where there is too much traffic and can be dangerous walking around when others are driving stupid. That said, I always carry a shovel, chains and a good quality "snatch strap". Usually the shovel and letting a little air out of someones tires will get them back on the road, then either they can drive slow to a station or I can pull out my compressor and air them back up.

Again, it is dangerous the way people drive now days. I think front wheel and AWD have made people complacent when driving on snow. As I tell my wife every winter "the AWD will get you going easier....but won't stop any easier" Go slow out there.

Reactions: Good1Brian

·
Registered
800 Posts
No issues. If I think it'll take a BIG pull, I'll go in 4LO. So far in two years, I've pulled a Rubicon out of a ditch, and a Camry out of a highway snow bank :)

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
Like most here I'd say do it only for people close to you, don't go out looking for people to rescue... The frames on these crossover vehicles are not like the sturdy ladder frames we had on older SUVs... so any pulling, from any recovery point, is risky. One member here overdid it a bit and bent his hitch receiver. I've pulled someone out stuck in a little mud, sideways, with a shackle hitch accessory similar to that one from Amazon, adn didn't bend anything... I use a tow rope though, large diameter but plenty of stretch, so the rope works to pull while dampening some of the impact on the vehicles. Straps are virtually non stretching, so be careful when using those...

My snatch strap is made to stretch, and helps use that
kinetic energy to get the vehicle unstuck. (unlike a chain)

Reactions: jim_87 and Mark_

·
Registered
10,337 Posts
I'm not a wheeler and have very little experience in this area. I also tend to forget there are *recovery* and *towing* straps, and wrongly assumed all straps have little to no stretch. So... my rope is definitely a recovery rope, and a recovery strap I would use, as long as it stretches enough.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I think both tow and recovery straps/ropes have their place. If one just needs to "pull slowly" to get someone out of some light snow/ice either will likely work fine. If you require a "running start" to yank someone out that is really stuck, recovery is the way to go. Also note, recovery straps that break can do damage (bad dents/hurt people nearby) even without any metal bits attached.

If you want some compromise options, get some soft shackles made for 4x4 recovery to use with your tow rope/strap. IMO, a little safer for many to use and doesn't create a giant elastic whip between the two vehicles.

·
Registered
640 Posts
It should be fine. The Trailhawks have recovery hooks for this exact purpose. I'm not sure about the pros and cons of using the hitch as a recovery point, though. Someone with more knowledge could chime in.
I think of the recovery hooks as there for being recovered rather than recovering. If I had to pull someone out of a ditch I'd trust using the trailer hitch with ball-mount and trailer ball. I haven't done a recovery but have used the hitch for pulling stumps or pulling a load of mulch off a trailer.

·
Registered
447 Posts
What not to do :grin::surprise:

Reactions: jim_87

·
Registered
842 Posts
Soooo many people... with not a cup of common sense among the whole lot! :dodgy:

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
I think of the recovery hooks as there for being recovered rather than recovering. If I had to pull someone out of a ditch I'd trust using the trailer hitch with ball-mount and trailer ball. I haven't done a recovery but have used the hitch for pulling stumps or pulling a load of mulch off a trailer.
Even from my XJ days I'd put the loop inside the receiver,
then slide the hitch pin through. I'll never use thee ball. Mine
is only rated for 4500 pounds.

Reactions: 19Trailhawk
1 - 20 of 62 Posts