2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had some Rear Differential issues, mainly the pinion bearing going bad. You can see in my posts more on that issue.

Going to texas for thanksgiving and since I don't really need the AWD and shop availability is slim to none till early december I decided to pull the F10 fuse, killing power to the PTU.

The Jeep drives wonderfully! The transmission shifts smoother, take offs are peppy (to be expected) and the ride is just smoother. Before I heard the growling from the rear the Jeep was getting piss poor gas mileage but I attributed it to the rear tire carrier and winch install. After the fuse pull my mileage is fantastic again.

So I'm thinking the friction from the RDM going out was the cause of the poor gas mileage, but what about the smooth driving and smooth shifts?
Those who have had the RDM replaced, what did you notice after replacement? I'm hoping my RDM has been on its way out for sometime and now upon replacement I will notice the Jeep driving better.

·
Premium Member
4,095 Posts
The F10 fuse has nothing to do with transmission shift points. That would be placebo. Smoother is a relative term. With a defective RDM or any other part of the drivetrain that may be why you feel a difference. Other than providing zero power to the rear nothing else Is changed with the fuse.

But it does highlight how the Awd system is active much more than people every thought it was. There is a slight fuel economy gain with the fuse out, but in my case I found traction seriously lacking, especially on my 2016, it would spin all the way through first and half way through 2nd gear, not overly practical when I wanted to accelerate briskly.

Once you get your drivetrain fixed up there won't be much difference with the fuse in other than more traction available

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The F10 fuse has nothing to do with transmission shift points. That would be placebo. Smoother is a relative term. With a defective RDM or any other part of the drivetrain that may be why you feel a difference. Other than providing zero power to the rear nothing else Is changed with the fuse.

But it does highlight how the Awd system is active much more than people every thought it was. There is a slight fuel economy gain with the fuse out, but in my case I found traction seriously lacking, especially on my 2016, it would spin all the way through first and half way through 2nd gear, not overly practical when I wanted to accelerate briskly.

Once you get your drivetrain fixed up there won't be much difference with the fuse in other than more traction available
I dont doubt that but there has to be some connection between the two. The shifts are much faster and smoother. The shifts would sometimes hang in the 1-3 upshifts, and now the Jeep just flies through them for a very smooth experience.

Maybe its from the drag in the rear/driveshaft but there is something dragging out the shifts, with the fuse out the Jeep drives like a dream.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Interesting.. I unplugged the rear diff to notice the noise go away and we plugged it back in when snow hit us and haven't heard the noise as of yet. Fuel mileage is horrible but there are so many factors with the cold and all. F10 you say.. will have to look at that. Can you tell if you still have AWD?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
My cherokee with the turbo drives like crap with the F10 fuse pulled. And it doesn't save gas mileage like I had hoped. All I do is spin the tires all the time and have horrible torque steer.

·
Premium Member
4,095 Posts
My cherokee with the turbo drives like crap with the F10 fuse pulled. And it doesn't save gas mileage like I had hoped. All I do is spin the tires all the time and have horrible torque steer.
Well of course..........it's because its a FWD vehicle did you think it would do something else?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts