2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got my letter today, and it says SOME of the vehicles within the referenced population…
You can read the rest 😎. So it doesn’t specify AD2 or Trailhawk, guess we will find out if someone’s AD1 fails and they deny extended warranty. Picture below.
View attachment 214935
Well I better get this letter. My 2016 Jeep Cherokee just lost its power train warranty in February. I bought it used in 2017. Took it to dealer due to a bang I would hear when stopping, like going from 30 mph at least and coming to a full stop.
I doubt they even took it out to see, just told me they couldn’t repeat the problem even though it happens like 75% of time. They also told me that since I brought it in for that, that it would be on file even if car is about of warranty—which I smell BS with.

Problem is that I usually don’t notice it due to windows up with radio, heat or AC on. But on those rare beautiful days when my windows are down, I’ll hear it. And it can be LOUD. And I’m like oh yeah, that’s a thing.

·
Registered
283 Posts
My 2014 will be 8 years old in 5 months still going strong
Our first one died after 2 years - internal electrical fault - bloody mexicans can't use wire crimpers properly??? (or more likely the machine that does them wasn't adjusted properly) - and the one they fitted isn't the good splines type - so holding breath here... I'm going to chase this up with FCA Australia. I wish Jeep would be properly consistent - this sort of rubbish is why we STILL won't recommend Jeep to any of our friends and family even tho we love our Trailhawk. LOVE the car - but have very little trust in Jeep...

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Brilliant Black Crystal Pearlcoat - Sun/Moon Roof - Heated/Cooled Seats
12 Posts
Question for the veterans (Jeep KL’s) on here.
I received the same letter as the OP stated. I have a 2015 Trailhawk the does the “bang” when shifting from 4th to 5th (I believe the greater majority know what I’m talking about). In the letter it states “bang”…

I know my “bang” between 4th/5th is due to the clutch in the tranny, buuuut being a layman when it comes to cars…could the PTU have anything to do with the slam your head against the steering wheel giving one a case of whiplash?

I’m thinking the answer is NO…as my PTU was replaced by the dealer within a week of buying my used 2015 Trailhawk as 4WD Low would not engage and I have experience the 4th to 5th bang

·
Premium Member
3,599 Posts
Question for the veterans (Jeep KL’s) on here.
I received the same letter as the OP stated. I have a 2015 Trailhawk the does the “bang” when shifting from 4th to 5th (I believe the greater majority know what I’m talking about). In the letter it states “bang”…

I know my “bang” between 4th/5th is due to the clutch in the tranny, buuuut being a layman when it comes to cars…could the PTU have anything to do with the slam your head against the steering wheel giving one a case of whiplash?

I’m thinking the answer is NO…as my PTU was replaced by the dealer within a week of buying my used 2015 Trailhawk as 4WD Low would not engage and I have experience the 4th to 5th bang
The 4-5 shift has zero to do with the PTU and everything to do with the 4-5 Dog clutch shift. The issue is torque management programming for that gear change, some vehicles have it better than others.

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Brilliant Black Crystal Pearlcoat - Sun/Moon Roof - Heated/Cooled Seats
12 Posts
The 4-5 **** has zero to do with the PTU and everything to do with the 4-5 Dog clutch shift. The issue is torque management programming for that gear change, some vehicles have it better than others.
Yeah, is what I thought…wishful thinking on my part I guess as I love my ‘15 with the exception of occasional whiplash and shift hesitation. Thank you for responding.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello
The PTU exchange in Japan cost $ 6,400.
I want you to have an extended warranty in Japan as well.
Hello

The warning light is not on, but there is a strange noise, so it seems that the PTU is broken.
It's the second time it breaks.
It's 7500 miles since the last exchange.
Unless there is a stronger PTU, there is no end to the extended warranty.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts