2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just got a letter today saying my 2017 TH PTU warranty has been extended to 8 years/150,000 miles from FCA. Covers 2014-2017. That’s nice to know.
Also covers previous repaired PTU prior to this.
Hello.
It's an extended warranty in the United States.
I don't know if it will be supported in Japan.
Would you please show me the documents sent to me for negotiations with Japanese importers?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Is this only for the trailhawks or covers the other trims PTU's as well? If so FCA owes me $2k for my recent PTU replacement at 104k miles on my 2014. @JeepCares can you shed some light on this warranty extension the op speaks of?
Hello
The PTU exchange in Japan cost $ 6,400.
I want you to have an extended warranty in Japan as well.

·
Registered
2015 AD2 Latitude, 3.2
406 Posts
It would be great to see the letter and even better if we all got one.
I’m wondering if it’s for AD2 equipped Cherokees due to the splines failing

·
Registered
2015 AD2 Latitude, 3.2
406 Posts
Got my letter today, and it says SOME of the vehicles within the referenced population…
You can read the rest 😎. So it doesn’t specify AD2 or Trailhawk, guess we will find out if someone’s AD1 fails and they deny extended warranty. Picture below.

·
Registered
2015 AD2 Latitude, 3.2
406 Posts
Covers 2014- 2017 KL’s. It says because they care.
I know that statement made me laugh , it’s probably due to lawyers telling them this could prevent some legal issues due to the inferior design of the PTUs .

·
Registered
2015 AD2 Latitude, 3.2
406 Posts
Hello.
It's an extended warranty in the United States.
I don't know if it will be supported in Japan.
Would you please show me the documents sent to me for negotiations with Japanese importers?
It doesn’t specify US sold or export models , and the wording sounds like you will receive a letter if yours is included in the population affected. But it may not apply to foreign sold Cherokees if the warranty responsibilities for this issue aren’t the same in those countries.
im hoping you do receive a letter too

·
Registered
37 Posts
It doesn’t specify US sold or export models , and the wording sounds like you will receive a letter if yours is included in the population affected. But it may not apply to foreign sold Cherokees if the warranty responsibilities for this issue aren’t the same in those countries.
im hoping you do receive a letter too
Hello.
I think so.
In Japan, we do not extend the warranty for 9AT missions.
I sent the information to the dealer today.
We are waiting for a reply from FCA Japan.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Got the PTU extended warranty Letter. If you are someone who already paid for the repair, I hope you also receive the letter. Happens I have the Trailhawk.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
641 Posts
My 2014 will be 8 years old in 5 months still going strong
Well I guess if your PTU is going to fail it better happen in less than 5 months then, huh?

If it was my Jeep it would fail 6 months from now and this PTU warranty would be meaningless. :(

Covers 2014- 2017 KL’s. It says because they care.
If they really cared it would be a lifetime warranty or maybe 10 years instead of 8. haha. Still, good to see they are doing something and giving people a chance to get a refund for any repairs already made.

·
Registered
599 Posts
My 2015 Trailhawk PTU died a few weeks ago... 56,000 miles on the vehicle. Luckily my wife was only 3 blocks from home and we were able to limp it home and call a tow truck. Vehicle would barely move in any gear, made some very loud grinding sounds and would not stay in Park. Had it towed to a local Jeep dealer who quickly diagnosed the problem and called me to say the repairs were completely covered under the recall. Very happy with the end results and now the Jeep is back on the road.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I wonder if I'll get the letter.

I just hit 148k miles on mine, and the PTU does not allow engagement of 4Low (I'll be hitting 150k by next month I reckon). Last year, I asked the dealer to look at it when I was getting a recall done, and they determined there was an internal failure, and would require a new Unit. They quoted me 2300$US for it. I politely declined the repair, but would always come back to it if it had an additional failure where the AWD system failed to work at all.

crosses fingers his Jeep is included in this

·
Registered
2015 AD2 Latitude, 3.2
406 Posts
My 2015 Trailhawk PTU died a few weeks ago... 56,000 miles on the vehicle. Luckily my wife was only 3 blocks from home and we were able to limp it home and call a tow truck. Vehicle would barely move in any gear, made some very loud grinding sounds and would not stay in Park. Had it towed to a local Jeep dealer who quickly diagnosed the problem and called me to say the repairs were completely covered under the recall. Very happy with the end results and now the Jeep is back on the road.
What recall was it covered under , this is a warranty extension? Or is that what you meant to say? 😎.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts