2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Mine failed and not a single light came on. When it happened I limped it about 4 blocks to a shop I usually go to just to so I wasn't on the side of the road. It acted like driving something with a really bad clutch. Had almost no movement, I kept the the rpms low and just creeped it. They came out and hooked it up to a scanner and the code for output shaft correlation came up p0215 I think? But no lights or even a warning on the display.

Pulling the awd fuse will definitely give you a service 4wd and a light on the dash. I pulled mine trying to figure out a binding feeling in the rear on dry pavement. Guess it was the ptu causing the bind..lol

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well bad news from the shop. PTU is completely destroyed inside, planetary gears are completely sheared and rounded off. Even worse news is there are no PTU 's available. Dealer said 6-12 months for new, a junk yard had one with 144000 km's on it and no warranty and the only one they could come up with is a rebuilt one down in the states somewhere for 4600 dollars and would take 2 to 4 weeks to deliver and another week or so for them to have the time to put it in. Making the bill just shy of 6 grand and no warranty.

· Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
8,820 Posts
That's completely unacceptable!!! Maybe we need to get @BurtonRW the Lawyer, and start an official Jeep Cherokee Club Owners class action lawsuit. That would sure get the attention of Stellantis!!! What do you think Rob??? This is just happening WAY too much!!!😉😎

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Like I've said, I've had many jeeps and wheeled them hard and only had minor issues mostly from my own fault but this is a little ridiculous, especially when even the newer models are still having the issue. Not as many but still.

This will be my last jeep product that's for sure. As soon as I decide what I'm doing to fix it I will drive it straight from the shop to a dealership and trade it in. I'll be losing money but at this point I just don't even want to risk driving it. I'm in the military and often travel for courses and postings so I can't have this wonder if I'm going to make it there and back again especially if the whole family is with me.

· Registered
73 Posts
Yep, sounds exactly like what happened to mine. No lights or anything, just grinding metal noises and then no power to the wheels. Dealer found the PTU full of metal chunks as you describe. Lucky for me still under Warranty though.

I'd trade it in on a new TRD 4runner or maybe a new Bronco with the 7MT. Heard those engines can grenade their oil pumps though because Ford cheaped out and made the oil pump belt drive instead of the chain in the older versions of that block.

It's a real shame Nissan is not making the Xterra anymore, that was nearly as solid as the 4runner if you had the manual, and no Toyota tax.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
4runner in a heartbeat but I can't afford that payment, especially rolling the amount left on the jeep after the trade in value. Here in northern Ontario they are marking up everything. This 2016 jeep cost me 32 grand after taxes and fees and I've only had it for 5 months. To make it work in my favor I'm looking at a used rav4 or a cx5 in the 26-29k range. massive step down but if it works for the family (2 kids and 2 big dogs) then it's better than worrying about driving the jeep anywhere and being faced with this issue.

Bad enough it happened, but to not really have any choice but to pay out the butt to fix it because of availability is even more of an annoyance. I think I may just install the 144k used one and use our other car to look for something then once we find it drive the Jeep straight there as gently as possible and run lol

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Crv is on my list I use to work for Honda and had a few as well. Never had an issue but like Toyota you pay for the name. On the plus side sounds like a few dealerships have the ptu in stock around Ontario and 5 in a dealership in British Columbia . Trying to get them to part with them as we speak. 3 grand plus shipping but it's a brand new from Chrysler so I should get at least 100 km out of it haha

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Rather than start another thread, what is the likelihood of a brand new OEM ptu failing? I got an OEM replacement from the dealer (3200 bucks) and once I get the jeep back I'm not sure I want to go deeper in debt just to trade it in for piece of mind. It is the newest part number that replaces the others for 2016 so can I rely on this replacement or is it another issue waiting to fail? I mean the stock one went 106000kms.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I hope this one last. I just can't justify making a larger payment on something possibly older or if the same year with kess options to make it affordable just on a feeling of impending failure. I've read lots about the first failure but there isn't much about after the replacement.

Seems like a few have had issues but it was when they first started replacing them. Not sure if there is any change but there must be a reason for a different part number to supercede the others, maybe a hardened input shaft? Maybe nothing haha

I love the jeep but I don't want it to just sit around because I'm to worried to take it far from home.

· Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
8,820 Posts
I hope this one last. I just can't justify making a larger payment on something possibly older or if the same year with kess options to make it affordable just on a feeling of impending failure. I've read lots about the first failure but there isn't much about after the replacement.

Seems like a few have had issues but it was when they first started replacing them. Not sure if there is any change but there must be a reason for a different part number to supercede the others, maybe a hardened input shaft? Maybe nothing haha

I love the jeep but I don't want it to just sit around because I'm to worried to take it far from home.
I think you're going to be fine with the new one. Yes, the PTU is a far to common, and expensive issue, but there's still way more Cherokees on the road that haven't ever had one fail. Every manufacturer's modern vehicles have their little quirks, and that's just one of ours. Our Jeeps are pretty damn reliable as a whole. Think positive, and keep the faith, you'll be alright!!!😉😎

· Registered
2014 TH 3.2, 2" lift, 1" spacers, Steelies
309 Posts
I think you're going to be fine with the new one. Yes, the PTU is a far to common, and expensive issue, but there's still way more Cherokees on the road that haven't ever had one fail. Every manufacturer's modern vehicles have their little quirks, and that's just one of ours. Our Jeeps are pretty damn reliable as a whole. Think positive, and keep the faith, you'll be alright!!!😉😎
I like what @Flybynightcru mentioned here that we need to keep in mind that, yes, there are postings here about failed PTU's, RDM's etc. but Jeep sold ALOT of Cherokees over the years the vast majority of which have never had a failed unit. Some days you get the bear, some days the bear gets you.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts