2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 trailhawk. Put it in drive today and it made a shudder then no gears including park. Limped it to my local garage about a block from where it gave up and he says it gives dtc P215C and that there is a tsb from Chrysler so I should contact them. Dealer told me my vehicle isn't covered by this extended warranty. I asked why not because it met all the criteria listed in the tsb and he said don't know contact fca Canada. They have yet to get back to me due to computer issues.

Has anyone had issues getting a ptu repaired with this extended warranty? Build date for mine is march of 2016 so it falls withing the build dates in the tsb and also has the transmission listed and the active drive 2 and is under the km's allowed. What gives?

· Registered
39 Posts
2016 trailhawk. Put it in drive today and it made a shudder then no gears including park. Limped it to my local garage about a block from where it gave up and he says it gives dtc P215C and that there is a tsb from Chrysler so I should contact them. Dealer told me my vehicle isn't covered by this extended warranty. I asked why not because it met all the criteria listed in the tsb and he said don't know contact fca Canada. They have yet to get back to me due to computer issues.

Has anyone had issues getting a ptu repaired with this extended warranty? Build date for mine is march of 2016 so it falls withing the build dates in the tsb and also has the transmission listed and the active drive 2 and is under the km's allowed. What gives?
What kind of extended warranty do you have?

· Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
8,739 Posts
What kind of extended warranty do you have?
Most of us have the Mopar Maxcare Warranty. It's definitely kinda risky to not have one. I actually have Lifetime MaxCare, but it was discontinued after 2019. It's a wise investment, that will very likely pay for itself, considering a PTU failure is roughly $4000+, and far too common...😎

· Registered
39 Posts
Most of us have the Mopar Maxcare Warranty. It's definitely kinda risky to not have one. I actually have Lifetime MaxCare, but it was discontinued after 2019. It's a wise investment, that will very likely pay for itself, considering a PTU failure is roughly $4000+, and far too common...😎
I have the Max care on my TH aswell. I was just asking because he said he ran into problem with whatever coverage he has "Dealer told me my vehicle isn't covered by this extended warranty"

· Registered
1,240 Posts
If I'm understanding the OPs post correctly, he isn't saying that he has an extended warranty, rather he is inquiring about a TSB covering this issue, and apparently the TSB doesn't apply to his Jeep. If so, I guess he is going to have to foot the bill himself.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

· Registered
8,739 Posts
There's also probably about 800 different threads on here about PTU failures. Pretty much not a matter of if, more likely when unfortunately. Hopefully the later models are better, but we're seeing those fail as well...😎

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To elaborate on the issue. I have no warranty of any sort. The warranty I was talking about was the extended warranty added to some jeeps for the ptu failure and was part of the tsb. Extended to 8 years or 150k miles. Checked through FCA Canada and my Jeep isn't covered. So yes I will be footing the bill. It left today on a flatbed headed to a transmission shop after Chrysler quoted me 7 grand (Canadian) to fix it. That was of course without knowing the issue they just ballparked a price including looking for the problem and fixing it. I will keep you posted as I find out more. Debating on a 3rd party warranty or trading it in.

· Registered
2022 Altitude 3.2
74 Posts
There's also probably about 800 different threads on here about PTU failures. Pretty much not a matter of if, more likely when unfortunately. Hopefully the later models are better, but we're seeing those fail as well...😎
Aside from the later models having (possibly) improved PTU's, does anybody have an opinion as to whether the problems with PTU's are mostly confined to the AD2 systems, or is the AD1 PTU just as prone to failure?:rolleyes:

· Registered
8,739 Posts
Aside from the later models having (possibly) improved PTU's, does anybody have an opinion as to whether the problems with PTU's are mostly confined to the AD2 systems, or is the AD1 PTU just as prone to failure?:rolleyes:
That's a good question, not sure. Might have to get @Mark_ on that with his masterful research ability. I still think there's many more that don't fail, but still far too many that do. Doesn't seem like driving habits, modifications, whether the vehicle sees more, or less offroading, etc. Just seems to me to be more random, with no obvious cause or prevention...😎

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Definitely a poorly made part. Mine failed under normal driving conditions. Literally went for lunch backed out of my parking spot put it in drive and that was the end of it. Wasn't even rolling backwards when I put it in drive. Stock everything and never been off-road 106000kms. Still waiting on the verdict from the transmission shop but he said it's definitely internal. I had planned to off road it but I think I'll pass on it now haha. Had alot of jeeps in my life but this is the only one to let me down.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update from the shop. Definitely ptu failure. They are taking it out to make sure it was just the ptu side that failed. Bill is currently up to 1162 that covers the removal and installation of new part/parts. So he said only extra cost will be the cost of the new ptu or parts to fix it. Current price on Mopar Canada for a ptu is 2200 plus 155 for shipping. Not a great bill but better than the dealership quote for sure.

· Registered
71 Posts
Yep, mine went at around 50k km while passing a semi uphill on the highway. Pucker factor was high, but I was able to coast in behind the truck and over to the right shoulder with no connection between the engine and drivetrain.:oops: It was still under warranty so free tow and free PTU replacement.

New PTUs are supposed to be more durable, and I haven't noticed anything funny from the drivetrain since. (90k km now.)

I don't think offroading is the issue with these, they seem to just grenade for no good reason if they have the manufacturing issue. I vaguely remember reading something about them using the wrong type of metal in the gears for the versions manufactured up to 2018.

The TH is very fun offroad and has surprised me at how capable it is given the full independent suspension and limited clearance. The skid plates are legit too, I have tested them. :LOL:

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I read of the failures both here and from others places but usually that's all that gets posted is the failures. Everyone hates the 4.7 v8 in the grand Cherokees saying they where junk. I had 3 and wheeled them hard and only ever had one overheat on me and it was a wire that got caught in the fan. So I took a shot on the trailhawk. Hopefully the new part will fix the issue. I will be buying a new not used ptu so fingers crossed. It has to make a 4400km round trip in March so I'm a bit nervous. Hopefully the ptu is available haven't heard from the shop yet.

· Registered
71 Posts
Definitely buy new if you can given the history of failures with the older versions.

My replacement PTU has nearly 40k km on it and no issues, so hopefully you see the same result.

Be extra religious with your tire rotations on this vehicle too. The tires need to stay the same size/wear all around or risk putting extra stress on the PTU on pavement. On dirt shouldn't be an issue. It's the same as having a traditional 4x4 with a separate transfer case in 4x4 on pavement but you have no control over when the 4x4 is engaged, as the computer decides. Using manual shift mode locks 4x4 in though.

· Registered
4,484 Posts
1 - 20 of 43 Posts