2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm new to Jeep. I bought my first three weeks ago. Jeep Cherokee Limited V6, 4wd. So far, I'm very nervous for its future. I kept getting a message that read, 4wd unavailable, service required. I took it in twice, only to be sent away after the dealership rebooted the software. This time around, I was told I need a new PTU, old term transfer case. Thoughts? Experiences? This is hard to deal with considering my last car was a RAV4 with 160k miles and I never replaced a thing besides brakes twice and tires once. Jeep IS better than this, right?

·
Registered
754 Posts
There have been a few guys around here that have had the PTU replaced, but I don't think too many. If the dealer has isolated the problem and wants to replace the PTU, by all means have him do it. That's what the warranty is for. Don't let that ruin the experience of your new Jeep as all makes have occasional problems and they often pop up early.

I had that same 4wd service light come on several hundred miles ago. It went out by itself and hasn't come back. I took it in to the dealer and they said there were 'erroneous' trouble codes. They cleared them, the light has not come back and all seems to be working fine, but I'm keeping an eye on it.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
Generally, the PTU and transmission will fail early if defective.
Very complex mechanical equipment. The Manufacturer will generally replace the whole unit if there is a problem. This is especially true on this new Cherokee.
My 3 Jeeps before this one all had no problems other than normal maintenance. That includes front brakes on one after 9 years and and a new rear axle on another that I burned up towing. This new one after 1 year has only had the power seat repaired.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the link Tyler. I will contact Chrysler regarding a refund in payment. I am leasing the vehicle and haven't been able to drive it 9 days so far. The part isn't even in yet so I'm guessing it's going to be until the end of the week before it's replaced.

Glad to here Jeepster. I'm having buyers remorse after this issue. I really like the Jeep. It's the perfect size and I love the options. It's no fun if I never get to drive it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dealership called today. The PTU has not arrived from Chrysler yet. I was told my car's status is "off road" and that's high priority status.

I phoned Chrysler yesterday to open a claim with a case manager. Does anyone have advice to offer as far as compensation? The dealership has had my car in their possession longer that I've had it. I took delivery of the vehicle on 11-22-14.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think our PTU failed at 12-14k. It was out of commission for almost a month. We have over 20k on it now. It was a huge bummer at the time but other than that we are still loving our Trailhawk.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The case manager called me today. I guess she's making sure the PTU gets to the dealership tomorrow. I'm told it's a five hour job. I wonder if it pays five hours or if it takes five hours to complete. I'm thinking about asking for an extended warranty and one month payment back. How long of a warranty can one get?

·
Registered
613 Posts
The case manager called me today. I guess she's making sure the PTU gets to the dealership tomorrow. I'm told it's a five hour job. I wonder if it pays five hours or if it takes five hours to complete. I'm thinking about asking for an extended warranty and one month payment back. How long of a warranty can one get?
You can get a lifetime warranty.

http://www.chryslerwarrantys.com/lifetime_warranty.cfm

Reactions: Jeepster1

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
If you plan on keeping your Cherokee a long time a Chrysler extended service plan can be a good investment.
For me I got a Chrysler Lifetime Max Care $100 deductible when I got the Cherokee about a Year ago. I do keep my vehicles 9-10 years.
Never had a need for one before. But with all the electronics on this vehicle it was a "no brain" for me. $100 for a repair is an easy budget if a repair is needed. Just have to pay up front for the plan.
If you get one watch the price you pay as these on line quotes can be a grand under the MSRP the dealer uses. My dealer matched the online quote.

Every repair the dealer does is a book repair. That is the allowance is what Chrysler/book says the repair or diagnostic should take. That is what the dealer gets paid.
The Tech gets paid for the most part by the hour. Techs that get the job done in less time are valuable to the dealer. The ones that can not do the book time continually are less valuable or gone.
I am sure you will be fine after the repair.
Be sure to ask them if you need to repeat the 300 mile break in for the PTU.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was thinking of requesting and extended warranty complementary of Chrysler for all my inconveniences. Needless to say, I did not have the car Friday as promised. Maybe tomorrow? I know the part came in on Friday. What next?!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got the Jeep back tonight. I was disappointed to say the least. You think after having it for two weeks they could have run it through the car wash.

I talked to the case manager at Chrysler again today. I told her I want my lease payment for the month refunded to me and I want the extended warranty. She offered me gap insurance and I just about lost my cool. She told me she could not offer me what I was asking for at this time. I told her I was ending this phone call and planned on speaking to her manager given how fat apart we are with some type of compensation. She then told me she could summit to have the lease payment reimbursed and offer me a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty. Thoughts?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Case manager called again. She will offer me nothing more than gap insurance. The Jeep is going back in on Thursday to document a shimmy/wobble, condensation on the windshield that won't clear and the squeaky rear brake.

·
Registered
350 Posts
@ReefAngel, I apologize for not getting back to you sooner....the forum never gave an indicator that I needed to reply to another member :-( The warranty that they gave me was a true lifetime warranty (unlimited mileage and age until the repair cost is more than the value of the vehicle) with a $50 deductible. My case manager also didn't have to check with anyone before giving me the warranty. I believe she is selling you a load of goods.

Alos, given your current issues, I would state to her that you have lost faith in the vehicle and am worried about your safety especially in these coming winter months.

·
Registered
49 Posts
ReefAngel, What state do you live/reside in? have you checked your Lemon Law? For instance my Jeep Cherokee is currenlty in the service department going on 22 days for a new transmission. they have 8 days to get it back to me before I can file a Lemon Law claim and force a repurchase of the car or a brand new replace ment. You should check into that option in your state. Most states offer a 1 year or 18,000.00 miles for lemon law claims and/or 30 day CUMULATIVE loss of use in order to file a claim. Check your state laws you may have more options.

I have not opened a case with Jeep, but I am thinking I should since, this is getting about ridiculous to wait this long for a tranny. Any suggesting from fellow readers as to what I should do? ( not trying to hijack the thread)

·
Registered
2 Posts
We purchased our new Jeep Cherokee limited in March 2016-it has 5900 KMS on it. Yesterday the light came on "4 wheel operation not available service required". The dealership changed out three moduals (code C14A7-97-PTU) and up dated all software-light went out then only after the last KM of a 5 KM test drive came back on? Checked overwiring-no issues-tested on hoist-DTC does not apply to updated?

Tech then followed flow chart and flow indicator is "mode retry limit-therefore PTU required replacement.
Part is not stocked by dealer and has been ordered. Will require vehical in shop for full day (everything under warantry.

Still love my JEEP[we pull a 2600-LB trailer.

Greg

1 - 20 of 41 Posts