2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
So back in 2018 the svc 4wd light came on. I took it to the dealer, and they accidentally cleared all the codes so they couldn’t diagnose the issue (they admitted to this).
In the time I have had it (bought new), the stop/start service has pretty much never worked. I have had the battery replaced twice under warranty to try to fix that issue but it’s never fixed it. Fast forward to now, the light is back on and turns on and off pretty much daily. I took it back in, paid $140 diagnostics fee, and they said it’s the ptu, and quoted me just over $3k to replace it.
My jeep has about 55k miles and the 5 year warranty expired about 5 months ago of course.

I contacted jeep and after going back and forth for days, they said they would cover half the repair. I don’t agree with that decision but that’s beside the point.

Looking for some advice. My car is 6 months away from being paid off, I was hoping this car would last 10+ years, and I am seriously considering buying a new car at this point which I really don’t want to have to do (NEVER buying an FCA car again). Do I risk this repair and hope I don’t have transmission issues or rear differential issues down the road? Do I buy a new car? Do I fight to get this repair for free?

Ugh.

Thank you for your time!

·
Registered
479 Posts
It's doubtful you will get them to cover all the repair. You are lucky they offered to cover half of it. My PTU went out at 105k miles on my 2014 and FCA would not assist at all. These PTU's are notoriously weak and a poorly designed part. As for the transmission most of those issues plagued the 2014 and 2015 models so you are probably okay there. The transmissions if the newer 2015+ hardware version seem to hold up pretty well from what we see. Which engine do you have? If the V6 there are a few common issues that can add up $$$. Oil cooler and roller rocker bearings going out and damaging camshafts are the most common. As for keeping the jeep long term that is your call. They do typically have more issues than other brands especially these modern Cherokees as they age.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just paid $2400 for a PTU replacement.

That's $1900 (nearly cost) for the PTU and $500 in labor. It's manageable.

·
Registered
2015 AD2 Latitude, 3.2
542 Posts
There is a PTU Warranty extension for some KLs here is the link below show this to the dealer and see . Also contact Jeepcares on this forum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts