2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2019 TrailHawk Elite

Was on vacation, driving west on I-40 about 30 miles east of Albuquerque and all of a sudden my RPMs jumped up to red line and I lost all power. Managed to get pulled over, put shifter into Park and could hear a grinding sound as I'm assuming the PTU and tranny were trying to sync while spinning down. Out of curiosity (while waiting for the tow truck, I put it into 4WD Low, and sure enough there was power going to the rear wheels. It was at that point that I had a pretty good guess that it was the PTU.

Long story short, I got towed into Albuquerque, and thank god there was decent Jeep dealership on the east side of town, unfortunately it was Labor day, and the service center was closed. Stayed in a hotel, got a call at 10am the next morning, saying they needed to order a new PTU. Had to take a rental car back to Dallas...

No clue why a PTU with only 22,000 miles would die... Still have original factory tires, so no mismatch there. Tire pressures have always been within 1 PSI of each other. I bought it used at 10,000 miles, but it's an immaculate condition Trailhawk Elite... Needless to say, I'm a little weary about keeping it once this is replaced. Had I been on a trail... This could be a completely different story.

Jeep said they'd cover towing, and CLAIMED they would also cover the rental and hotel... But I didn't buy any extended warranty, and I didn't think any extended warranty would transfer over... So we'll see on this one.

Beware...

· Registered
1,501 Posts
Just my luck that every car I buy would have the same weak link. On my last car the transfer case was also the weak link that caused me to junk it after 145000 miles when it broke. They wanted almost $3000 to repair at an independent mechanic using a used transfer case from the junkyard with 65000 miles. Would have been probably $5000 at the dealer with a new one.

· Registered
633 Posts
It amazes me in 2014 and beyond manufactures cannot build the drivetrain and related parts to be durable and long lasting. That is the heart of a vehicle. Yet we hear of engine, transmission, ptu and rdm issues left and right. How can a 90's vehicle on average have stronger and better built drivetrain than a modern vehicle. Just blows my mind. We have taken steps back in durability and quality of everything even over the past 20 years. FCA are you listening?? Build it to last!

· Registered
40 Posts
I had the PTU replaced on my 2019 Cherokee Latitude Plus at 4000 miles. It was leaking oil slowly and I caught small spots of oil on my driveway. Most of the oil leaked while driving so it is hard to spot it.
Could be yours leaked all the oil out.
And mine was brand new.

· Registered
574 Posts
Jeep said they'd cover towing, and CLAIMED they would also cover the rental and hotel... But I didn't buy any extended warranty, and I didn't think any extended warranty would transfer over... So we'll see on this one.
At 22,000 miles and a 2019 model, it should still be under factory bumper-to-bumper warranty, even as second owner. Factory bumper-to-bumper is 3yr/36,000mi and powertrain warranty is 5yr/60,000mi.

EDIT to add that 3yr/5yr warranty is from date of original sale or in-service date if it was a demo. If you don't know the date, Jeep can look it up. Earliest you could take delivery of a 2019 model was Feb 2018 IIRC, so you should still have several months minimum on the bumper-to-bumper.

· Registered
186 Posts
Mine is a 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 50k miles, PTU failure and on backorder. Jeep just called and let me know it will be a few weeks before repairs, but will cover my rental. Thats not including any transmission issues since I was stuck in 4low and transmission slipped while in gear.

· Registered
26 Posts
2019 TrailHawk Elite

Was on vacation, driving west on I-40 about 30 miles east of Albuquerque and all of a sudden my RPMs jumped up to red line and I lost all power. Managed to get pulled over, put shifter into Park and could hear a grinding sound as I'm assuming the PTU and tranny were trying to sync while spinning down. Out of curiosity (while waiting for the tow truck, I put it into 4WD Low, and sure enough there was power going to the rear wheels. It was at that point that I had a pretty good guess that it was the PTU.

Long story short, I got towed into Albuquerque, and thank god there was decent Jeep dealership on the east side of town, unfortunately it was Labor day, and the service center was closed. Stayed in a hotel, got a call at 10am the next morning, saying they needed to order a new PTU. Had to take a rental car back to Dallas...

No clue why a PTU with only 22,000 miles would die... Still have original factory tires, so no mismatch there. Tire pressures have always been within 1 PSI of each other. I bought it used at 10,000 miles, but it's an immaculate condition Trailhawk Elite... Needless to say, I'm a little weary about keeping it once this is replaced. Had I been on a trail... This could be a completely different story.

Beware...
The PTU failed on a well maintained 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. The SVC 4WD warning light came on my vehicle and the 4x4 system is not working. I took the vehicle to a Jeep dealership. The Jeep dealership performed a diagnostic and inspection of the vehicle and determined that the vehicle has a bad PTU. The dealership gave me a quote of $3,900 to replace the bad PTU. There is an extremely large number of Cherokee owners with bad PTUs without a recall. If you have a bad PTU and your VIN # doesn't have a PTU recall, please, go to the NHTSA & FCA websites and fill out a Vehicle Complaint Report. Jeeps are supposed to be heavy duty vehicles, let's keep it that way.

Use the links below:

www.nhtsa.gov

Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA
File a complaint with NHTSA if you experienced a vehicle, tire, car seat or equipment safety problem that could be a safety defect.
www.nhtsa.gov
www.nhtsa.gov

Contact Us (jeep.com)

FCA Customer Care | Mopar Repair Connect
For assistance with international ordering and customer service
www.moparrepairconnect.com
www.moparrepairconnect.com

Please, feel free to add any additional information to help everyone affected by a bad PTU that is going to cost $3,900 to repair.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone, I have a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk my 4 Wheel Drive light came on at dash like everyone else here I have 62000 miles so I took it in to local dealership they said it was my PTU was bad and needed replacement I bought the car new the car been well maintained I've never been off road or even used the 4x4, so needless to say I'm pretty disappointed cost me $3200, just a side note the parts guy told me they keep that part in stock cause its a common problem ?? ( I've restored several cars so its not like i'm naive mechanically !! )
Perry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts